Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo trainer recommendations

Options
  • 12-03-2014 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

I am looking into getting a turbo trainer to getting a bit of mileage in when working nights. Can anyone recommend a decent one. My budget is around €100 or am I wasting my time looking for such a price.

Any advice regarding usage would be welcome also. I remember reading somewhere about putting old tyres on. Is this right. Anything else I need to know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Swimcyclerun.com

Got great value on a turbo there about 3 weeks ago, free delivery too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Mutts_nuts

pointer28 wrote: »
    Swimcyclerun.com

Got great value on a turbo there about 3 weeks ago, free delivery too.

And where do they get them from ?

Humphries cycles in finglas as far as im aware are the tacx dealers in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Jude13

See the quick release bar thing (don't know its official name) do you have to use that or can you just whack your bike on and off you go?

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    See the quick release bar thing (don't know its official name) do you have to use that or can you just whack your bike on and off you go?

I think thats so you don't scratch your regular skewer.

Cheers, I was wondering.

Cheers, I was wondering.

Also to avoid the embarrassement, that you have beefd up legs but no tan anywhere - one look at your rear qr and if scratched they'll know you're an indoors guy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

regular skewers dont always sit right either so can cuase the whell to come out if your not careful, generally more secure.

omri wrote: »
    Also to avoid the embarrassement, that you have beefd up legs but no tan anywhere - one look at your rear qr and if scratched they'll know you're an indoors guy ;)

My legs are a comical size after years of weights for rugby, I should have gotten into track cycling. Have to get my suit pants made and my jeans wear through at the crotch after a short period. Then to make it funnier God or someone decided that I would spend the guts of two years with a cast on my right leg then 4 months on my left, both below the knee.

So now I have chicken like calfs and huge thighs. No tan from ankle to knee on my left leg and then from the bib length up. Its a sight to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Will these start coming down in price coming into the summer? I'd be looking to pick one up cheap for next winter at some stage over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

My legs are a comical size after years of weights for rugby, I should have gotten into track cycling. Have to get my suit pants made and my jeans wear through at the crotch after a short period. Then to make it funnier God or someone decided that I would spend the guts of two years with a cast on my right leg then 4 months on my left, both below the knee.

So now I have chicken like calfs and huge thighs. No tan from ankle to knee on my left leg and then from the bib length up. Its a sight to behold.
    ahh hear jude13, stop it, for the sheer hell of it go & get some fake bake & go nuts. an umpa lumpa lookie likee out for a spin! now thats a sight!
    thanks again for the mental picture on a dull work afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Hi All

Looking for advice on a turbo also. I have a road bike, trek lexa. Will turbos damage the bike tyres/wheels at all? Am I recommended to use different ones on the turbo?

Which turbo would you recommend? The one linked about looked good but how about logging? How does that all work?

I saw links on other forums to: http://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker

Which needs a cadence sensor such as the garmin and a ant+ usb key. Will it work with just those two items or do I need a garmin watch also? I have a garmin for running but not sure if it connects to a cadence sensor (Its the Garmin 110) It doesn't have a ant+ connection, it has the standard pinned connect that I need to plug into the laptop.

Apologies for all the questions, very new to this cycling thing.

audreyp wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking for advice on a turbo also. I have a road bike, trek lexa. Will turbos damage the bike tyres/wheels at all? Am I recommended to use different ones on the turbo?

Which turbo would you recommend? The one linked about looked good but how about logging? How does that all work?

I saw links on other forums to: http://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker

Which needs a cadence sensor such as the garmin and a ant+ usb key. Will it work with just those two items or do I need a garmin watch also? I have a garmin for running but not sure if it connects to a cadence sensor (Its the Garmin 110) It doesn't have a ant+ connection, it has the standard pinned connect that I need to plug into the laptop.

Apologies for all the questions, very new to this cycling thing.

My father bought the Elite one above and it's a great job.

You don't need a Garmin watch for Trainer Road, your laptop takes over that job instead, you can then transfer the workout to Garmin Connect or Training Peaks if you wish. Highly recommended it, using it religiously since October.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Thanks for your reply! And does the turbo damage the tyres or wheels at all? I only have one set currently and no plans to buy a second until I start logging some series kms.

The turbo will wear down your tyres but I wouldn't worry about it until you start logging some decent mileage, the odd hour here and there won't make any difference.

I have a separate back wheel and tyre just for turbo use but went two years quite happily before I got it.

Advertisement