Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seasoning waney edged timber, help?!

Options
  • 11-03-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi, i am doing a construction project and i have made a coffee table all out of spalted oak every bit of it has a waney edge on one or more faces, what can i use seal and varnish the full piece without getting rid of these waney edges. and help is appreciated :D:)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

gavvyc909 wrote: »
    hi, i am doing a construction project and i have made a coffee table all out of spalted oak every bit of it has a waney edge on one or more faces, what can i use seal and varnish the full piece without getting rid of these waney edges. and help is appreciated :D:)

You might get more help in the woodcraft forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=530

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moosetrax

Have you dried it? If you haven't, be prepared for it to move in directions you haven't predicted. If it is dry then a sanding sealer + your fav finish should do the trick. Myself I use equal parts gloss varnish + boiled linseed + tung oil and then buff it = very nice shiny piece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

gavvyc909 wrote: »

All the common varnishes will soak into the wany edge and darken it. I'd clean out any dust and loose bark etc ( compressed air would be a help ) and give it a coat of sanding sealer first.If you want to check the colour change first try little lacquer thinners or white spirit.
    Personally I'd spray it with lacquer to avoid drips and runs.

Advertisement