Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up Physics at college level

Options
  • 11-03-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am in fifth year at the moment and I would like to ask everyone about the difficulty of picking up physics at university level. Currently, I am hoping to do the Maths and Physics branch of general Science in Ucd, as I have always loved physics.I am particularly hoping to major in either astronomy or theoretical physics. My concern is that I am not doing physics for the leaving cert, as there are no physics teachers in my school and they could not find someone to come in to teach me. However, i have read some of the leaving cert book and i read a lot of books about physics in my spare time. Also, i am doing hl maths, chemistry and engineering, which seem to contribute to a lot of the material in the course.
    That being said, do you think picking up physics in ucd will be doable, considering the foundation physics and applied maths modules in the first semester? Thanks to everyone who reads
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yes it should be no problem, first year physics done as part of general science in most universities seems to be just a repeat of LC physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

At a guess I'd say half of students who do physics at university have never done any physics. You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Benedict Moriarty

Thanks! I'm planning to do a lot of work in first year and i've been combing through the physics book so that i know my bearings at least. Good to hear that they generally only go through lc material. If that's the case then catching up should be ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Di acetyl Morphine !

A lot of it is PBL. You are given a problem to work on in person (or as part of a group) and you have to solve the physics. It is not handed to you on a plate with lectures and homework and assignments like it is in secondary school.

Although the Chemistry is still usually taught the auld fashioned way.

Great. Also, i think that once first year is over everyone should be on the same level anyway, so that was my only worry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I am in fifth year at the moment and I would like to ask everyone about the difficulty of picking up physics at university level.
    It can of course be done. However, it is best that you see a course in: Calc, Chem, and Physics in secondary school so that you can let the topics sink in.
    I am hoping to do the Maths and Physics branch of general Science in Ucd, as I have always loved physics.I am particularly hoping to major in either astronomy or theoretical physics.

Don't. Get an engineering degree to pay the bills and minor in one of the above.

Start studying now and post questions here. We'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Thanks! I'm planning to do a lot of work in first year and i've been combing through the physics book so that i know my bearings at least. Good to hear that they generally only go through lc material. If that's the case then catching up should be ok
    Your passion for the subject is commendable. If you want to get a jump on your classmates, you might try to get your head around some basic calculus. The LC maths course leaves people woefully underprepared for STEM subjects these days.
    FISMA wrote: »
    Don't. Get an engineering degree to pay the bills and minor in one of the above.
    Worth considering: certainly certain kinds of engineers (not civil!) are relatively employable right now. I would have thought a good maths/physics BSc is relatively employable too, if you don't mind working outside your field.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've looked at engineering, but i love working in a theoretical manner, so i would prefer to do Physics. Furthermore, i'm very interested in astronomy, having some experience via our telescope :) I'm hoping to pursue academia, and i am working very hard to try to get there. Hopefully it will lead to a job at a university as a post-doc, if i can reach that level!
    I hope to also get some employment through my writing too, although that will be pretty difficult!! :pac:
    Has anyone any opinions on UCD? In physics it seems to be very weloming to those without the leaving cert course covered.

I went to Maynooth for astrophysics and highly recommend it, I was only at UCD for my masters so I cant comment much on it, but imo I would say a smaller department is better, in Maynooth you will have no problems getting access to your lecturers and if you do the astrophysics course you will get to know most of them very well.

http://www.nuim.ie/experimental-physics/astrophysics

... I'm hoping to pursue academia, and i am working very hard to try to get there. Hopefully it will lead to a job at a university as a post-doc, if i can reach that level!
    Two comments:
    1. Academia in general is tough, but physics has a reputation as being tougher than most. I'm not saying don't aim for it, just don't rule out other options too early, and be prepared for a challenge.
    2. If you want to be an academic, get your degrees from the most prestigious places possible. I'd highly recommend TCD and UCD over anywhere else because they have higher international profiles. Anyone who tells you different is being defensive about their alma mater. The quality of the courses in UCC, NUIG, etc. are probably competitive (especially at undergrad level), but academia is snobby.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Two comments:

2. If you want to be an academic, get your degrees from the most prestigious places possible. I'd highly recommend TCD and UCD over anywhere else because they have higher international profiles. Anyone who tells you different is being defensive about their alma mater. The quality of the courses in UCC, NUIG, etc. are probably competitive (especially at undergrad level), but academia is snobby.
    I can't agree with this from my experience, for me what you do will be more important than where you do it (at least in continental europe)

Edit: I only noticed the 'defensive' part now, great way to back up a point :rolleyes:

mikhail wrote: »

I would agree with this to be honest, as it is pretty difficult to get to somewhere like cambridge, oxford or MIT, etc. without a top degree from one of the best colleges. In your view, is UCD a major step down in reputation and quality of course from TCD?

I would agree with this to be honest, as it is pretty difficult to get to somewhere like cambridge, oxford or MIT, etc. without a top degree from one of the best colleges. In your view, is UCD a major step down in reputation and quality of course from TCD?
    Those universities aren't the be all and end all though, it will really come down to what topics you want to study at phd level and where they are offered. I would honestly stress that what you want to study will be more influential than anything when you get past the masters level

FISMA wrote: »
    It can of course be done. However, it is best that you see a course in: Calc, Chem, and Physics in secondary school so that you can let the topics sink in.

Where/ how could one do a course in calculus at my age? :)

I can't agree with this from my experience, for me what you do will be more important than where you do it (at least in continental europe)

Edit: I only noticed the 'defensive' part now, great way to back up a point :rolleyes:
    I'm just telling him my experience. :)
    You can get into those places with a good degree from anywhere reasonably reputable, though a higher profile university will help a bit.

In terms of quality, there isn't a huge variation between any of the universities here, though there may be a little variation in terms of the subject matter in final year. The difference is reputation. In my experience, if you talk to a guy from Imperial College, he's heard of Trinity. He may have heard of UCD. He hasn't heard of DCU unless he's been there.
    Those universities aren't the be all and end all though, it will really come down to what topics you want to study at phd level and where they are offered. I would honestly stress that what you want to study will be more influential than anything when you get past the masters level
    They're not, and while the very best guys are usually there, there are plenty of ordinary guys at those places too. But in an interview, if you're from Trinity and the other guy is from MIT or Oxford, he has a leg up on you.
    Where/ how could one do a course in calculus at my age? :)
    There are possibilities for independent study if you're motivated enough.
    https://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus

Advertisement