Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has Taker put enough people over?

Options
  • 11-03-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭

So we know in the next month or so, the talk will be of Trips putting people over, but what about the other veteran?
    Their is very few people you can say Taker has made stars on the roster like Trips did with Batista and to a lesser extent Sheamus.

he put over Kane clean as hell last time he was properly full time but was that someone who really needed it and got much out of it? Nope in my opinion.

So where do we stand here with Taker?

has taker put enough people over 50 votes

Nope, not made enough stars
    0%
    he has been fine,no complaints
    22%
    mayordenisJohnMc1HerculeEdKMachismo Fanhappyoutscanwaltersobchaktakamichinokuupstairs for coffeebookman2Too Tough To Die 11 votes
    Don't really care to be honest.
    62%
    QsMr.Nice Guyslicus ricusiceman777NodyMoneymakergerrybbaddgreensausagePennx43r0DarraghGalliganZemuppetProfessional GrieferPTOThe AyatollaThe ShowstopperRobbingBanditSureYWouldntYaChaganAlfred Borden 31 votes
    Don
    16%
    A Primal NutRelikkIron HidejaykhunterdeadybaiBMMachineTake Your Pants OffAgent Coulson 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I'll always hold a slight grudge over his assessment of Mike Awesome during the invasion and if I'm right taker was the main reason he didn't keep the gig , taker didn't rate him....and well as with a lot of things with the invasion that pissed me off...poor ddp and kanyon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

He helped get over Lesnar after Summerslam in 2002. How many people have a clean win over Taker, let alone inside Hell in a Cell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Stone Cold, Mankind, HBK, Kane, Jeff Hardy, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, the Shield.

Nope, never put over anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sirsok wrote: »
    I'll always hold a slight grudge over his assessment of Mike Awesome during the invasion and if I'm right taker was the main reason he didn't keep the gig , taker didn't rate him....and well as with a lot of things with the invasion that pissed me off...poor ddp and kanyon

Awesome was ****e without a steel chair and dropping people on their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

he has been fine,no complaints
    Not sure, he was pretty toxic for his last few years as a regular member of the roster. Still very sour over that awful final WHC reign that he had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Stone Cold, Mankind, HBK, Kane, Jeff Hardy, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, the Shield.

Nope, never put over anyone.

Khali, Muhammad Hassan, jeez even Mabel got a rub with his Royal Rumble elimination. Serious list of who he has put over in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Stone Cold and Lesnar surely?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Don
    He's never been the guy, really just a perennial main eventer, so I don't mind that he hasn't really made stars (apart from putting over Brock many moons ago, his program with Edge). He's a fair-weather wrestler that takes lots of breaks so I never considered him a guy you'd do it with. He just has very good matches with people and beats them, which although it doesn't do as much as if he lost, it still elevates them. His schtick for the last maybe 7 years is the streak, and for me it's the main selling point of Mania, so even though he hasn't elevated many guys, he gets a pass...he's busier getting Mania over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

rovert wrote: »

Was great to see a big man dive over the ropes and crash through tables, was somethin different and surely they could of used him in some capacity and not just bury him....

Sorry tis off topic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Don
    Sirsok wrote: »

add Kronik to the list - although I rewatched their Unforgiven tag match, they got gassed and were useless! Like I don't think Taker needed to flatten them, they'll fail by their own inadequacies, no need to hasten it. Except for DDP. I was really p*ssed about his treatment despite accepting a contract buyout and coming to work 'early'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

I'm not sure if I'd credit him for putting over Austin or HBK who were already fully fledged main eventers by that point and in the case of Austin the companies big draw. Plus he made Kurt Angle look like a total jobber in their early meetings and any losses he had were total flukes. Then there was that horrible feud with DDP & Kanyon.

On the other hand he was the one who made Mankind a star in the WWF and he was always willing to work with people who others in his position wouldn't have. I wouldn't blame for not wanting to work with Awesome who would have probably killed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

rovert wrote: »

A little bit harsh imo. Yes, he wasnt exactly a Crispin Wah when it came to mat skills but he was an entertaining brawler that had some savage hardcore battles with the likes of Tanaka.

I think once he left ECW and got that godawful 70s guy gimmick on DubyaCeeDubya, the monster heel image was ruined.

Alot of unfulfilled potential I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

its really tough for an over-the-top character like that to put people over and not weaken the character doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its really tough for an over-the-top character like that to put people over and not weaken the character doing it.

Was thinking the same.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Maven. Maven not only eliminated 'Taker from the Royal Rumble, he also gained a pin fall victory over him for the Hardcore title (although it was thanks to interference from The Rock).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Don
    Sin Eater wrote: »
    Was thinking the same.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Maven. Maven not only eliminated 'Taker from the Royal Rumble, he also gained a pin fall victory over him for the Hardcore title (although it was thanks to interference from The Rock).

In fairness the elimination didn't put Maven over. He managed to dropkick Taker out of the ring while Taker was distracted. Taker then got back in the ring and proceeded to complete annihilate Maven for the next 20 minutes. :D. As far away from putting someone over as you can get.

One of my favourite Rumble moments involving the Undertaker.

I'm happy he hasn't lost too much in his career. It's one way he has managed to keep his mystique after so many years, which is important because he still makes them a lot of money at WrestleMania.

Compare with Kane, who has lost to everybody, he's no longer a monster and nobody cares about him anymore. Then again, that's good for business because Kane isn't going to be around much longer and the others will. But I'm glad they didn't do the same with the Undertaker, who is still such a big attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

is "putting over" not by definition you being at a certain level, you losing, and the guy you lost to is now the better man.

in that case Angle and Lesnar are the major ones he's put over.

a lot of guys have been elevated having been in programmes with him, but he hasn't put over all that many. and I'm glad. his character is such that he shouldn't be putting over too many.

that doesn't mean he hasn't helped a lot of guys greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sin Eater wrote: »
    Was thinking the same.

I did, but I called him Mabel via the wonders of autocorrect on my phone!

Advertisement