Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing Belt/Service

Options
  • 11-03-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all ..totally new to the motorhome scene...Have a LHD Fiat ducato 2.8jtd Coach build. 2002 reg (imported from France ~I think originally). It has 54K km on the clock. As far as I know it has neve had the timming belt Changed..so

1. Is it time to now get the belt done
    2. should I get water pump changed also
    3. any idea of costs
    4. Any one recommned someone relaible in the kerry / cork region to do this?

Thanks

Comments

Yeah probably, almost due on mileage, overdue on timespan. Eyeball it for cracks if you want an incentive.
    Why would you change the water pump? Overheating issues?
    I'd start with all the belts, fluids and tyres. Then brakes, suspension and fuel economy.
    Keep the old serpentine belt as a roadside repair spare.

EDIT: ^ fluid + filters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I must do one of those a week on average, easy to do, should be done every 5-6 years. The pumps don't fail, never seen a 1994 on model with a bad pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jimbobwalton

Thanks guys...i was told to get the full kit...that i may as well get water pump done at same time as it is in same area.....no idea myself.

Roughly what kinda money ball park should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Thanks guys...i was told to get the full kit...that i may as well get water pump done at same time as it is in same area.....no idea myself.

Roughly what kinda money ball park should it be?

The water pump is not driven by the timing belt on these engines. I imagine you were given advice by someone who is used to car engines where the timing belt also drives the water pump. Even in these instances, the water pump may not need changed. Personally I blame internet forums.
    I worked with Fiat and Iveco Dealerships (same engines). In 20 odd years I don't ever remember changing a water pump on one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

swarlb wrote: »
    The water pump is not driven by the timing belt on these engines. I imagine you were given advice by someone who is used to car engines where the timing belt also drives the water pump. Even in these instances, the water pump may not need changed. Personally I blame internet forums.
    I worked with Fiat and Iveco Dealerships (same engines). In 20 odd years I don't ever remember changing a water pump on one of these.

Water pumps hate being idle, seals and bearings deteriorate at a faster rate than a pump in regular daily use.
    In the 2.8JTD engine, and probably others, the same dismantling is required to access the pump as to change the cam belt.
    I think the advice to spend the extra cost of the pump when doing the cam belt is specific to motorhomes which can often suffer from 'sleepy engine' syndrome as a result of extended periods of non use. This accelerated deterioration can also affect items like tyres and rubber hoses, oil seals and brake components to name just a few, in fact any component that requires regular use for its lubrication, to self clean or remain pliable.

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Water pumps hate being idle, seals and bearings deteriorate at a faster rate than a pump in regular daily use.
    In the 2.8JTD engine, and probably others, the same dismantling is required to access the pump as to change the cam belt.
    I think the advice to spend the extra cost of the pump when doing the cam belt is specific to motorhomes which can often suffer from 'sleepy engine' syndrome as a result of extended periods of non use. This accelerated deterioration can also affect items like tyres and rubber hoses, oil seals and brake components to name just a few, in fact any component that requires regular use for its lubrication, to self clean or remain pliable.

I don't wish to labour the point, but the water pump is these particular engines is of an ancient design, dating back to the early 80's. They have an equally ancient type of water seal, dating back to the 60's, when we would strip and replace seals and bearings in water pumps. They very rarely fail.
    If the OP wishes to change the pump, just for the sake of it, that's his choice. Personally, and even if the pump was leaking, I'd change the seal, rather than the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Definitely overdue a change 5 years is recommended and shorter where a vehicle is idle. You need to get the full kit the pulley bearings and rust are more of a problem than the ageing belt. I'd say 80-120 for the kit plus 100-150 for fitting. I wouldn't change the water pump.

moodrater wrote: »
    Definitely overdue a change 5 years is recommended and shorter where a vehicle is idle. You need to get the full kit the pulley bearings and rust are more of a problem than the ageing belt. I'd say 80-120 for the kit plus 100-150 for fitting. I wouldn't change the water pump.

Where can you buy a gates or similar kit for that price?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Where can you buy a gates or similar kit for that price?

Local motorfactor 88+ vat for dayco kit. Can get gates, skf, conti for less online.

Local motorfactor 88+ vat for dayco kit. Can get gates, skf, conti for less online.

Thats a good price. Who is that? Thanks by the way.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much guys...so another qustion from someone who know nothing....what exactly am i ordering in the motor factors?...all sorts of stuff mentioned above...what do i ask for? I assume there is a range of products but i will be guided by here.....thanks again to all of you for your time and help

Thanks so much guys...so another qustion from someone who know nothing....what exactly am i ordering in the motor factors?...all sorts of stuff mentioned above...what do i ask for? I assume there is a range of products but i will be guided by here.....thanks again to all of you for your time and help

Whoever is doing the job will get it cheaper than you and pay less vat.

Speaking from the coal face , most guys fitting the parts prefer to source them too.

Thanks Aidan that's good to know.....I inherited the motorhome from my father who passed away lately...it was his pride and joy so I want to make sure it is kept that way. The mechanic who looked after it has retired. Thank all for the advice.....Anything else I need to watch out for...I will get a full service also done...as well as timing belt ...

That's a very good price for a full kit. What motor factors is that. Any I've used would be a good bit more.
    Do you know if that kit includes the tensioner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donaldo

Can anybody recommend someone in Cork City for a timing belt change to a Ducato?

Advertisement