Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurants in Carlow town

Options
  • 11-03-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,374 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Abrakebabra has got some nice cosy seating :pac: I am Joking of course.

Serious answer below.

I haven't eaten in Brasserie 15 yet across from the AIB but I am told it is great place for a date night meal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Any particular type of food?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Brasserie 15 or Mimosa Tapas Bar, both great atmosphere, both amazing food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There is no Italian restaurant in Carlow town anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Super-Rush wrote: »
    There is no Italian restaurant in Carlow town anymore.

One seems to be opening on Tullow Street where that sushi place briefly was.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Phoenix wrote: »
    Which is better for a first date though?

Depends on what food you both like. Brasserie 15 could be a safer choice, tapas is ... well, I absolutely love it but seemingly there are people who wouldn't eat it.
    When it comes to a decor and charm - both very good but I would pick Mimosa, so romantic with it's little fairy lights and small tables for two. Lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Phoenix wrote: »
    meeting up with a lady for a date!

Supermacs, snackbox, take a seat upstairs. Very cosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm not from Carlow but I've ate in mimosas a few times
    Amazeballs

Lennons is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Mimosa is really good for a date. The setting is lovely and romantic.

You can sit in the outside area and have a blanket to cover you both.

The food is really good but again depends on peoples taste.

There is the weepeing thaiger near graigue its right across the road from dominoes. I don't have a link as I'm on the phone but they do lovely Thai food if you are both interested in that?

Hope the date goes well :)

I saw a sign on Tullow Street today at a closed restaurant saying "Italian restaurant coming soon.".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Mimosa is the business, myself and the gf both absolutely love it.

Honestly, if she doesn't like it she's not worth keeping anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I saw a sign on Tullow Street today at a closed restaurant saying "Italian restaurant coming soon.".

Mario from Pompeii is opening that it will be open in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

based on this thread, and bored of the normal fast food.
    I was at Mimosa Tapas Bar last friday, was really nice, would recommend it to anyone and hope to get back there soon,
    so thank you

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

As someone who just moved back to Carlow after 15 years, totally blown away by Mimosa. Plus they have 'Proper Order' IPA.

Need to sort out that website though.... Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

The Avenue across from the old superquinn ate there lately very nice and good value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Road House is still a classic for me, their club sandwiches brings me right back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

brianblaze wrote: »
    Plus they have 'Proper Order' IPA.

Is that from that Jack Doyle's Wexford brewery? Any other 'proper' beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

Went to Smoque the other night-it's that new tapas/restaurant place opposite the town hall...very good tapas, really nice staff and they seem to always be busy so I hope they do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Mimosa Tapas bar by a mile. Like them on Facebook and you'll see some photos of their food and comments from customers.

The only negative going for them is they don't open until 5pm. Being a mammy of 3 young daughters that love Mimosa, I'd love a lunch or late afternoon option that we could bring thm along and not feel like we're getting in the way of the first dates.....:p

They don't take bookings for parties under 6 so go early to get a table. Be prepared to wait 45 mins to an hour on weekends. They will take your name and you can go for a drink elsewhere while you wait.

Went to Brasserie 15 over the weekend, wasn't too blown away. Mimosa remains the number one in Carlow town.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

brianblaze wrote: »
    Went to Brasserie 15 over the weekend, wasn't too blown away. Mimosa remains the number one in Carlow town.

I was about to give the former Lautrecs a try, I get so few nights out I think I'll stick with Mimosa.

Anyone care to comment on Lennons http://www.lennons.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've only eaten @ Lennons during the day.

I've always liked their food but the portions can be a little on the small side for the price.

Can't fault food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Lennons food is grand and makes a change from all the mimosa fanatics. The only thing about Lennons is the venue, that it can be lacking in atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dunebasher

Quite a few of my friends refuse to go to Mimosa because of the rudeness of the staff. Tends to happen when they are busy. Shame.

Dunebasher wrote: »
    Quite a few of my friends refuse to go to Mimosa because of the rudeness of the staff. Tends to happen when they are busy. Shame.

Found the staff great so far, apart form over the phone. That's been my only complaint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

Tully's do pizza and a pint for €10. boom.

Advertisement