Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting land back to grass from elephant grass

Options
  • 11-03-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Hi some advice please
    A neighbour of mine is selling his land approx 16 acres of which 6 is already in grass and the other 10 in elephant grass. Does anyone know what sucess is in turning the land back to grass, the costs and how long... also any side effects from approx 10 years of growing the elephant grass on new pasture (if i could get grass growing again). BTW I'm thinking of buying but only if I can get grass growing again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Should grow grass okay. Just cut off the elephant grass and roundup it then. And plough.
    Don't know what minerals mischantus uses now so getting it soil tested would be a must

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

roundup should kill but you will have to be sure before ploughing.. There roots are a ryizome which if not fully killed will grow again. You may need to use a brushwood killer. I would check around before spraying and ask with Teagasc, coillte or the technical support for the spray to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Is there any market for those rhizome's now? They were expensive enough when they were put in. What about countries in Europe that have a biomass industry or can they be transplanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

thanks all helpful... sounds like no grass until later in year if all goes to plan!

Advertisement