Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shower keeps cutting out!

Options
  • 11-03-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi, my shower keeps stopping at random times. It might work for a week or two then it'll trip in the fuse board. I had an electrician look and he checked the wiring in the shower unit and couldn't find anything. It was fine then for two weeks but this morning it tripped again! When I went to flick the switch in the fuse board back on, I noticed that the fuse was warm......is it normal that these would heat up a bit or is this my problem?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Can you give more info like make and model of shower,How old is it,Is it a replacement shower that is of a higher rating than the origional.Do you have any other electric showers in the house or high input appliances.When you say fuse is it an mcb or rcbo what is it rated for.When the electrician opened the shower casing was there any evidence of water getting in or burning/sooting on the inside of the shower ,did the electician check the power chord/switch for loose/frayed connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Can you give more info like make and model of shower,How old is it,Is it a replacement shower that is of a higher rating than the origional.Do you have any other electric showers in the house or high input appliances.When you say fuse is it an mcb or rcbo what is it rated for.When the electrician opened the shower casing was there any evidence of water getting in or burning/sooting on the inside of the shower ,did the electician check the power chord/switch for loose/frayed connections?

Its a triton t90z. Its about 2-3 years old. Bought new, Not a replacement, was a big enough job to put in because floorboards had to lifted to wire to mains. No other electric showers in the house. Not sure about MCB or rcbo. I have seen sooting (black) on the inside myself, he said it was nothing abnormal. There was a drip inside casing but this was fixed about 4 weeks ago but shower still cuts out. He thought it was to do with drip but obviously not. He did check for loose wires and the like and found nothing wrong. Thanks for the reply!

just checked, it says g-rcb B40. hope that makes sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The solenoids on the T90z showers have been giving a bit of trouble. Although normally they would just stop water from going through the unit, it might be worth checking yours for shorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The solenoids on the T90z showers have been giving a bit of trouble. Although normally they would just stop water from going through the unit, it might be worth checking yours for shorting.

The solenoid won't make the fuse trip.

Usually the two parts in the shower that can cause the fuse to trip are the pump and the element. As it is intermittent it doesn't seem to be the shower at all.
    I have seen this happen a few times before with other shower makes & models.
    I'd bet if you changed the trip switch it'll solve the problem. I'm not basing that on any scientific proof. I'm just basing it on my past experience. Sometimes what looks like a perfectly healthy trip switch turns out to be faulty.

Advertisement