Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for REAL farmers market

Options
  • 11-03-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Heya,

I am looking for real farmers market... and it is proving to be challange...
    What I want is locally grown organic fruit and veg from LOCAL farms. Every single market I have been to are selling veg. from Spain and Netherlands that are grown god knows were...

Is there such thing in Dublin? Am I dreaming?

Anyone sells raw honey by the way? I am looking for beeswax as well :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Why organic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 baibax

Ok, does not have to be organic (although less chemicals best, but I understad reality :( )
    I just want something that has been grown locally, not picked unripe I want vegs that taste like carrots etc.

Organic crops and sprayed crops are the same studies have shown. Where are you based in Dublin? North county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

baibax wrote: »
    Heya,

What I want is locally grown organic fruit and veg from LOCAL farms. Every single market I have been to are selling veg. from Spain and Netherlands that are grown god knows were...

I'm not saying that you won't find one but you won't find many !!
    There is still some small scale growing of veg going on in Ireland at the moment but I don't think your going to find many markets where there will be a veg stall and the veg has all been sourced in Ireland, like you would see in local markets in France for example..
    Firstly we never had a huge tradition in this type of growing to sell, and secondly Irish people aren't great at supporting this type of enterprise, preferring to buy their "perfectly formed" veg in Tesco.

You should find someone local to get honey and wax from, but many sell out their honey immediatly on harvesting.. We buy local ho0ney but speaking to the beekeeper the losses of hives has just got too much and he finished all but a little for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Weshtlad

micraX wrote: »
    Organic crops and sprayed crops are the same studies have shown. Where are you based in Dublin? North county?

micraX, those studies which I assume you're talking about are based around the nutritional value comparisons? That's not always what people are concerned about for instance organic products have far less chemical residue (neurotoxins) and obviously not the same adverse affect on the environment than conventionally grown veg/fruit.

Baibax, there's a food co-op based in Dublin in Newmarket square Christchurch, most sellers have imported food for sale but they also have Irish grown crops, not realistic to expect Irish blueberries in March etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It would at least be nice to see seasonal irish vegetables in markets.

Weshtlad wrote: »
    micraX, those studies which I assume you're talking about are based around the nutritional value comparisons? That's not always what people are concerned about for instance organic products have far less chemical residue (neurotoxins) and obviously not the same adverse affect on the environment than conventionally grown veg/fruit.

There is time limits on how long you've to leave produce before they are harvested after spraying. The chemicals are to benefit the crop not poison it.
    We have a farm shop in lusk selling our own inseason produce. Closest you'll get to a genuine farmer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

OP I looked into getting a stall in my local 'farmers' market, and I was expecting that there would be preference shown to farmers(I didn't inform them that I was), but their policy was to give out stalls spaces when one came free to the next applicant in the que.
    But then again this was a DLRcoco ran market and they think farmers only live outside of dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Heya,

your best market is your mothers. she will provide all organic

produce that you will ever need. Cheap and cost effective hard to be beaten
    on price.

Your will always get a special deal from your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Assuming things haven't changed much in the last few years there'll be one farmer (McNally) from north Co. Dublin at the market in Leopardstown on Fridays and Temple Bar on Saturdays. Veg, yoghurt, butter and some chutneys and relishes. Some local(-ish) cheese producers there too and nice apple juice sometimes, too.

For meat I used to go to the Sunday market in Ranelagh - have forgotten the name now but there was a van set up on the road outside. The farmer was from Carlow, I think it was.

I used to find it very frustrating to go to a farmers' market and be presented with stuff from all over the world so I feel for you. I did get an organic veg delivery for a while but the name of the service escapes me now. As far as I remember it was all Irish produce - I certainly remember getting really sick of getting celeriac what felt like every single time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Sorry, missed this. The Hopsack in Rathmines shopping centre used to very occasionally get some in, you could try asking there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Honest2goodness market on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Dublin food coop in Newmarket square has about 4 to 6 maybe more farmers with their supplies.....Now to be fair some of them have to supplement their stock with bought in Dutch or soanish wholesale....

That said they all sell what they grow best, and buy in what makes sense.. An earlier poster recognised that in Ireland we have grown out of growing veg for sale, so please do give the growers support for what they do supply.

I go there regularly and every week, it's possible to come home with a basket of irish produce....However we all like a bit of variety too so the foreign produce is necessary too..

The growers have typical irish veg and indeed stretch further to more varied supplies too.. If you just go once you may come away thinking there is not much home grown, but coming week on week you realise that they do have a lot it's just some weeks I guess stuff was not just ready to harvest. And there is a realism that even if we do grow Irish, it may not always compete price wise so it would be unwise farmer/supplier who would turn away custom insisting they will only have irish produce

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

If you are looking for aw honey & beeswax try www.irishbeekeeping.ie , they can put you in touch with a beekeeping association in your area

Advertisement