Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Galaxy S4

Options
  • 11-03-2014 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

So dropped my S4 into the toilet last night around 2am.

Got it out and battery pulled in seconds and shook and dried as much as possible. No rice around so just wrapped in plenty of tissue then put it into the hot press.

What are the chances of getting a working phone back if I only put it in rice a few hours later?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Hopefully you get lucky, once you didn't try turn it on once it's out of the water. Sounds like you did everything right. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Ste- wrote: »
    Hopefully you get lucky, once you didn't try turn it on once it's out of the water. Sounds like you did everything right. Hope it works out for you.

Think I got lucky. Took it out and everything is working.

Just when charging it is saying the battery temp is too low and pauses the charging.

Getting a battery later to test if it's just the battery or the battery thermometer.

Hopefully just the battery, but still in warranty so should be 100% fixed either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Strange title. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Just when charging it is saying the battery temp is too low and pauses the charging.

Getting a battery later to test if it's just the battery or the battery thermometer.

Hopefully just the battery, but still in warranty so should be 100% fixed either way.

How do you reason it is still in warranty............after dropping it in the toilet? Just curious.

laoisfan wrote: »
    How do you reason it is still in warranty............after dropping it in the toilet? Just curious.

Hopefully they don't notice any water damage and just fix my phone. They are known to be faulty when it comes to charging ports and overheating batteries.

(Just last week a friend was charging his and it started burning at the charging port, melting all around the bottom of the phone.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Hopefully they don't notice any water damage and just fix my phone. They are known to be faulty when it comes to charging ports and overheating batteries.

(Just last week a friend was charging his and it started burning at the charging port, melting all around the bottom of the phone.)
    The first thing they will look for is water corrosion damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you took it out pretty early. Ideally you want to leave it in for 4-5 days to be safe.

And there are moisture stickers, they'll know straight away it was submerged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

They'll notice.

There are stickers around the phone that change colour when exposed to water.

http://nerdr.com/location-of-samsung-galaxy-s4-phone-water-damage-indicator/

It's worth a try but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I used to look after phones in the last company I worked for. If I sent a phone back with any fault and the stickers showed exposure to water they just sent back the phone with a note saying there was water damage.

e.g. phone sent back with a key not working on the keyboard (Blackberry). They wouldn't repair it because of the sticker.

Well just found out I stupidly void my warranty through knox security somehow anyway (I was rooted so must have messed up somewhere) only void with knox though, I have it fully unrooted and official firmware but my knox count is 0x1.

Thankfully it's fully dried out now and 100% working so no need for my warranty just yet.

And one more thing. Anyone know if rooting a phone in Europe automatically voids the warranty or is it only if they can prove the root broke the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You should have went on a custom ROM with knox removed. And then flash back a stock image before sending it away.

• Advertisement

You should have went on a custom ROM with knox removed. And then flash back a stock image before sending it away.

Yeah first Android and first time rooting. Just wanted to mess around with a few apps that needed root access didn't really bother with ROMS as I was just learning. Could have sworn I stayed well away from Knox though. I managed to totally reset it and the whole triangle away thing worked out and all just that Knox counter screwed me over.

Ah well, phone is back working and warranty is gone so I'm gonna root again tonight and mess around see if I can find any nice ROMS I like.

Advertisement