Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert late start to studying

Options
  • 11-03-2014 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Ok first of all i appreciate honesty so dont "sugar coat" your sentences.

I didnt open a book for the mocks and i mean that literally.

I received the following results

HL Bio - 40%
    HL geo - 40%
    HL Eng - 46%
    HL bus - 50%
    OL German - 44%
    OL maths - 46%

Which converts to 210 points, i require 300 and a minimum of 2 HL C3's and a C1 in OL maths but i want 360 points in case i dont get my course etc. is this achievable im with only a handfull of weeks to go?

Any advice would be really appreciated along with your opinion of my situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Dylan2122 wrote: »
    Ok first of all i appreciate honesty so dont "sugar coat" your sentences.

I didnt open a book for the mocks and i mean that literally.

I received the following results

HL Bio - 40%
    HL geo - 40%
    HL Eng - 46%
    HL bus - 50%
    OL German - 44%
    OL maths - 46%

Which converts to 210 points, i require 300 and a minimum of 2 HL C3's and a C1 in OL maths but i want 360 points in case i dont get my course etc. is this achievable im with only a handfull of weeks to go?

Any advice would be really appreciated along with your opinion of my situation.

40% on your mocks can become a C1 in the real thing quite easily with a bit of hard work, maybe even more than that depending how much effort you put in from here on in.

You have three months, get started now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Honestly that isn't that bad. A pass in geo, bio, bus and English on "general knowledge" that you had without reading the book is actually pretty good! It shows you have the capability and the knowledge to pass the subject, now just to add the effort and achieve what you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dylan2122

Aspiring wrote: »
    40% on your mocks can become a C1 in the real thing quite easily with a bit of hard work, maybe even more than that depending how much effort you put in from here on in.

You have three months, get started now :)

Finally feels real with the leaving coming over the horizon and no longer the stuff of legend.
    Im not the nervous type , in fact i want it to be over but il be devastated with less that 320 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OscarBV13

"A handful of weeks" is plenty of time if you use it correctly. If you managed to get those results without opening a book then you should do fine with three months of proper hard work.

You will have to put the effort in though. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

OscarBV13 wrote: »
    "A handful of weeks" is plenty of time if you use it correctly. If you managed to get those results without opening a book then you should do fine with three months of proper hard work.

You will have to put the effort in though. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

I finally woke up and smelled the coffee when i was informed today that my real oral is 3 weeks time from now and i dont know the role plays or picture stories, i only passed because i scored high in the general conversation and got 67% in the written paper which brought my average up to a pass.

Looking through the averages of the former 6th years, their results between mocks and LC rarely varied more than 20 points.. Much to my dissapointment

• Advertisement

Finally feels real with the leaving coming over the horizon and no longer the stuff of legend.
    Im not the nervous type , in fact i want it to be over but il be devastated with less that 320 minimum.

Well work towards beating that then ;) you clearly have a good foundation if you got those results without studying. Focus on figuring out what you don't know now and work out what you don't know. Do 3 or 4 exam questions a night more if you can. It may seem tedious but it's only for three months - and will likely get you the course you want.

Many people gain over 100 points between mocks and leaving cert between improved knowledge and better correcting.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Well work towards beating that then ;) you clearly have a good foundation if you got those results without studying. Focus on figuring out what you don't know now and work out what you don't know. Do 3 or 4 exam questions a night more if you can. It may seem tedious but it's only for three months - and will likely get you the course you want.

Many people gain over 100 points between mocks and leaving cert between improved knowledge and better correcting.

I spent my weekends either clubbing or working with out considering homework until the early hours of Monday morning, i couldnt devote the whole year to study but il try dicipline myself for the next 3 months.

There is a ridiculous amount of depth and content in many subjects which is intimidating when i consider the "where do i start?" Question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OscarBV13

I spent my weekends either clubbing or working with out considering homework until the early hours of Monday morning, i couldnt devote the whole year to study but il try dicipline myself for the next 3 months.

There is a ridiculous amount of depth and content in many subjects which is intimidating when i consider the "where do i start?" Question.

Why not start from the beginning? It's always the easiest place to start and it is where I am beginning now. I am in a similar situation to you.

When you've finished the courses you realise there's not really that much in each and they link in together especially in something like business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Start at the beginning. In biology cover scientific method,food and the cell chapters and take it from there. In geography start with plate tectonics. In business start with the people in business chapter. No better place to start than the beginning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

Lots of people have gone from Es in the mocks to Cs in June with solid work in between. Be productive with your time. Get stuck into the past papers. Pick blocks of the course and link the exam questions so you get a good feel for the paper. You're obviously very bright so no reason you can't notch up a couple of Bs. A good mark on your geography project can bring you up there too. Best of luck.

shedu wrote: »
    Lots of people have gone from Es in the mocks to Cs in June with solid work in between. Be productive with your time. Get stuck into the past papers. Pick blocks of the course and link the exam questions so you get a good feel for the paper. You're obviously very bright so no reason you can't notch up a couple of Bs. A good mark on your geography project can bring you up there too. Best of luck.

Appreciate the feedback and compliment (:

Advertisement