Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LinkedIn & Game // Development Groups

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:27pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

So, as I hit the 5month mark on my current role (loving it) - I find myself spending a ridiculous amount of time on LinkedIn, either trying to OCD neaten my profile, or snooping around the plethora of Game & Game Development related groups all over the site.

Got me wondering how many folks out there on this Forum use LinkedIn at all, or feel like connecting if they do.

Despite only 40 connections and using non-premium, with an oversized and uninteresting Ropey-Rant style profile, I was already offered two different game-related opportunities on site - Which got me thinking of all the other folks in situations where they are trying to get into the Industry, or even just show off a CV/Portfolio containing their current work even if they aren't looking to be hired, as well as network with other developers or groups who may be able to assist with projects. Over the space of 20minutes last night I encountered three separate discussions involving people looking for collaboration on passion-projects to buff everyone's portfolios up or even just as something to do, which got me thinking of some of the threads here.

So, how many of you are out there? If you are an indie looking for further means to get your projects known (or look for help), or someone trying to find their way into working within the Industry (and are not on LinkedIn) you really should give it a try. For everyone else - Maybe we could make our own Boards network/group or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

It's quite effective I hear.
    I signed up after college, made a quick profile on it and carried on research while ignoring a portfolio haha
    If your looking for a job in the industry it's pretty essential...along with a good portfolio of course!

My plan was always to start a team or join one.
    Not interested in big or well established companies at all.
    I left the last team and started my own.
    Been researching and planning for the first game since the start of Feb.
    I think everything is set up now, source control, trello, google docs for GDD,web domain, twitter, youtube etc
    So the framework is in place.
    We are missing only a concept artist, preferably one who can help with modeling or else do character modeling to lighten the burden.
    3D sci fi game, fairly ambitious I know.

Thats my plan and so far I don't regret it. Now the real work starts :D

LinkedIn does have a lot of activity with the group chat. i am always getting emails for group chat updates.
    However i am way too busy to actually use the site now ^^
    I take a 4 hour break each day and working more or less 6-7 days a week O.o
    I'm on facebook though if anyone would like to add me. Just send me a private message here.

Facebook I found to be way more effective for finding people/contacts and getting information from other developers.
    I would almost consider getting in another programmer if they could multi task. A vertical slice is the plan to start, but it will be a lot of work.

Funny as I was typing this I got a LinkedIn email...
    Shut up universe, I'm busy!

Advertisement