Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sraith Pictiúr 2014

Options
  • 10-03-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi lads! Hope the mocks went well for everyone.

Anyway, its all oral prep now in Gaeilge and Spanish for us, but today we were talking about the dreaded Sraith Pictiúr, and we were wondering how its possible to learn off all 20 for the oral!

I know the point of them is not for them to be learned off, but teachers have them drilled into us so we don't really have a choice. In my school, we have about 2 A4 pages worth per sraith to learn de ghlanmheabhar and its driving us crazy!!

Just wondering how much ye all do for it?
    There's only 5 of us doing ardleibheal in my year so we're wondering if this is causing our teacher to be extra tough on us with them, so all five of us get a good result. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OscarBV13

I think the best way to learn them is to learn off general phrases that you will be able to use for a lot of the picture sequences. That should make things a bit easier than learning off 200 sentences or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Two A4 pages for every one? Dódheanta! (impossible!)

We have about 4-5 sentences for each one but realistically of your of a good level you shouldn't be ag cur iad de ghlanmheabhar! just try to have a starting sentence for each of the pictures and then some vocabulary.

Then, once you've done the first ten, just recycle the crap out of the vocabulary you've learned. I mean, how many of them have some cainteoir coming to the school or the principal doing something? Just re-use the things you've learned where possible and aim for 4-5 sentences for every picture. Is féidir leat Athchúrsail :P

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Agree with the poster above. I think that this site has great info on the sraiths http://www.scoilnet.ie/sraith_2014.shtm

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

Go raibh maith agaibh guys!

Learning them all off is driving us crazy...they're so frustrating.
    Can't wait to burn the lot of them at the end!!
    I'm able to just babble on about gach rud, but thats not good enough for my teacher, she wants everything exactly as on the sheet.
    Unnecessary stress!!

Go raibh maith agaibh guys!

Learning them all off is driving us crazy...they're so frustrating.
    Can't wait to burn the lot of them at the end!!
    I'm able to just babble on about gach rud, but thats not good enough for my teacher, she wants everything exactly as on the sheet.
    Unnecessary stress!!

Is your grammar reasonable? Many students have terrible grammar when speaking themselves so maybe your teacher wants you to learn them to reduce errors. That's not necessary má tá do chuid Gaeilge go maith! ;)

• Advertisement

Ceapaim go bhfuil sé go maith i gcomhrá!
    Its my written that would let me down, but I'm working hard on that!
    Is aoibheann liom an Ghaeilge thanks to go leor leor samhraí chaite sa gaeltacht! :)

I'm hoping to do Commerce with Gaeilge or Primary Teaching with Gaeilge as my elective next year so I really want a good mark!

Just to put it into context, this is what we have to learn for just one picture (ie one of the six on Caillte sna sléibhte)

Excuse the graffiti on the public library desks

Just to put it into context, this is what we have to learn for just one picture (ie one of the six on Caillte sna sléibhte)

Excuse the graffiti on the public library desks

That's ridiculous. Not a hope you will be able to remember 20x6 of those in the exam. Nor will you have time to say 6 of those in the oral.

Outta curiosity, has everyone finished preparing their sraiths? We have 3 more to do still :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

OP, it is best not to leave the sraith pictiurs go on for too long. If the examiner stops you after 5 or 6 mins(which they have the right to do), it is not their fault. They say at least 2 sentences so that would be for C students. I do around 4 or 5. Depends on the picture, I do feel yours are quite long winded and there are definitely ways of saying it in shorter sentences . If you have time I think you should cut them down. There are more marks for the comhrá, aim to maximise your marks in this. They are generous with the sraiths if you have the right grammar terms and stick to the same tenses with a few pretty phrases. I wouldn't describe everything in the picture as you did in the 1st 2 sentences. Its a picture STORY , so just tell the story :)

• Advertisement

Outta curiosity, has everyone finished preparing their sraiths? We have 3 more to do still :(

Nope......... :mad: another 3 here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

You only need around 5 sentences on each. You only have 5 mins to talk about the sraith so you won't be able to read a paragraph on each. If you get stuck you can describe the weather, their appearance or their facial expressions.
    Also I see you have done it in the past tense, our teacher said we should do it in the present. He said you can show off your past tense in the comhrá but that the past doesn't get marked as well in the sraith

You only need around 5 sentences on each. You only have 5 mins to talk about the sraith so you won't be able to read a paragraph on each. If you get stuck you can describe the weather, their appearance or their facial expressions.
    Also I see you have done it in the past tense, our teacher said we should do it in the present. He said you can show off your past tense in the comhrá but that the past doesn't get marked as well in the sraith

I disagree with that. Firstly, Aimsir Láithreach / Aimsir Chaite won't be marked any differently as long as you're consistent. Do whichever suits you. Secondly, surely the comhrá will be more based in present tense except for a few things like Cad a rinne tú an samhradh seo caite?

I find the modh coinniolach is easier to slot in when using the past tense

For sraiths I think that aimsir chaite works best. However that's personal choice. The conversation will consist of everything verbs wise for example - where did you work last summer? What subjects are you doing? What do you hope to do next year? So they will try to ask you a question in each of the verb tenses to see how well you understand the grammar aspects of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I'm a bit worried about my sraith pics, I know most of them but I don't know do I know enough on each. Is there a set amout of sentences for A's B's C's?? Our teacher told us not to spend too long or otherwise you'll loose marks in the comhra because you lost time off it due to sraith pic being longwinded. It takes me just over 2 minutes or so to describe all six picture, maybe 2.5-3 when im not talking like motor mouth :pac: but at least half the pics I only have 2/3 sentences for. Will I loose marks for this? I'm looking for the A tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

For ordinary level how much do you have to say about each picture? I really want to do good!

I'm a bit worried about my sraith pics, I know most of them but I don't know do I know enough on each. Is there a set amout of sentences for A's B's C's?? Our teacher told us not to spend too long or otherwise you'll loose marks in the comhra because you lost time off it due to sraith pic being longwinded. It takes me just over 2 minutes or so to describe all six picture, maybe 2.5-3 when im not talking like motor mouth :pac: but at least half the pics I only have 2/3 sentences for. Will I loose marks for this? I'm looking for the A tbh...

This is an example of one of mine;

"De réir dealraimh, bhí scrúduithe an tsamhraidh críochnaithe agus thug na buachailli aghaidh ar an gclub leadoige. Feictear domsa gur bhuaigh Colm ticéid go dtí comórtais leadóige in Wimbledon. Bhí fonn orthu dul ann agus is léir go raibh cuma gealgháireach orthu. Bhí said ag tnúth le Wimbledon mar ní raibh said ann riamh cheana. "

So thats 4 sentences. I usually do that many but it really depends on the picture. I may have 3 for others, 5 for others. I would recommend adding in more into those with 2 sentences if you're looking for a high mark. Add in a sentence describing the picture, or say "is docha gur bhain siad taitneamh as an turas" or whatever. If you're looking for an A the copail is, claoninsint. briathar saor and modh coinniolach look very well.

I always get confused about this. Is the oral common level?

oncex wrote: »
    This is an example of one of mine;

"De réir dealraimh, bhí scrúduithe an tsamhraidh críochnaithe agus thug na buachailli aghaidh ar an gclub leadoige. Feictear domsa gur bhuaigh Colm ticéid go dtí comórtais leadóige in Wimbledon. Bhí fonn orthu dul ann agus is léir go raibh cuma gealgháireach orthu. Bhí said ag tnúth le Wimbledon mar ní raibh said ann riamh cheana. "

So thats 4 sentences. I usually do that many but it really depends on the picture. I may have 3 for others, 5 for others. I would recommend adding in more into those with 2 sentences if you're looking for a high mark. Add in a sentence describing the picture, or say "is docha gur bhain siad taitneamh as an turas" or whatever. If you're looking for an A the copail is, claoninsint. briathar saor and modh coinniolach look very well.

Grand I have a bit of adding on to do so :L most have a few sentences its just some its difficult to talk about! Yeah, I have a good few briathar saors, m.c.'s and a lot of indirect speech and that thrown in! Had a mock oral a few weeks ago and managed an A2 in that which I was surprised at considering I totally blanked about 2/3 of the way through the Comhra and went to pieces but I was worried that my teacher was liberal with the marks :/

• Advertisement

Grand I have a bit of adding on to do so :L most have a few sentences its just some its difficult to talk about! Yeah, I have a good few briathar saors, m.c.'s and a lot of indirect speech and that thrown in! Had a mock oral a few weeks ago and managed an A2 in that which I was surprised at considering I totally blanked about 2/3 of the way through the Comhra and went to pieces but I was worried that my teacher was liberal with the marks :/

Most marks go for actual conversation.
    The marking scheme is as follows;

Beannu=5
    Filiocht=35
    sraith pictiur is in 2 parts; 50 goes for cumarsáid which is for communication.
    another 20 for cumas which i think is for nice phrases and grammar. 10 for questions.
    =80
    Comhra= cumarsáid is 75
    Cumas=45
    So even if you get loads of grammatical things wrong, the chances are you wont fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinhurley969

It's fairly hard alright, just try to write 3 points in your own Irish for each picture in a sraith pictiur that you'll understand and prepare a seanfhocail for each one and you'll be fine!

Most marks go for actual conversation.
    The marking scheme is as follows;

Beannu=5
    Filiocht=35
    sraith pictiur is in 2 parts; 50 goes for cumarsáid which is for communication.
    another 20 for cumas which i think is for nice phrases and grammar. 10 for questions.
    =80
    Comhra= cumarsáid is 75
    Cumas=45
    So even if you get loads of grammatical things wrong, the chances are you wont fail.

Yeah she told me afterwards that I got full marks in poetry and only lost 2-3 marks on sraith picture it was the comhra that brought me down!

Random question : is it "chuaigh siad ar bhus thurasoireachta" or "ar bhus turasoireachta" my grammar is dodgey :/:/:L

ar bhus turasóireachta. It would have a h if the adjective described is feminine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hi,
    I'm doing ordinary level Irish and I am aiming for an A1 in it, My teacher for the last two years has told us we need two pieces of information about each picture, Is this correct?

Will I be required to have as good Irish as Higher level students if I want to achieve full marks in the Oral?

Hi,
    I'm doing ordinary level Irish and I am aiming for an A1 in it, My teacher for the last two years has told us we need two pieces of information about each picture, Is this correct?

Will I be required to have as good Irish as Higher level students if I want to achieve full marks in the Oral?
    Two pieces of information for each is what's required to pass ordinary level (well, common level) according to my teacher. I aim for four to five sentences per picture, depending on the length of my sentences and what's going on in the picture. The really bland ones I might just give three sentences.

The oral is common to both levels and is supposedly marked as such. Theoretically, at least, you'll be marked the same as the higher level students. It'll be hard to get an A1 but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Anyone know where i can listen to them? Need to hear a few pronunciations.

case885 wrote: »
    Anyone know where i can listen to them? Need to hear a few pronunciations.

Sraiths - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFfBxYAkAe5haZXpjoBYTw

Poetry - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8gknnPUMmIB1DHb2Gg_S7w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Casey147

Nope......... :mad: another 3 here too!

My Irish oral is this Thursday, and my class still has about 3 left to do :mad: I'm freaking out here!! :eek:

Advertisement