Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Tablet / Phone for visually impaired

Options
  • 10-03-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking for advice for a friend who is visually impaired.
    She cannot text using her old generation phone (not a smart one) and is looking for replacement.

She likes reading books (but cannot anymore), facebook, texting etc.

I am looking for advice on the best tablet for here: ipad or android based? and why?

I am also looking for best smartphone advice for her: iphone or android based?

I am really looking for a justification, NCBI advised he to get an iphone but, she's smart a lady, and really would like to know why it's better.

Many thanks,
    Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

It might be an idea for your friend to phone back and ask the person she was speaking to in NCBI that question.
    I have heard that iphones are more accessible for people with sight loss too but I cant remember why exactly, I think its the text to speech programe that is better and there are apps for orientation and walking especially through Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 resistivism

For what it's worth a good option might be the Samsung Galaxy Note series (I belive they are on the third or fourth now) ,they are basically big smartphone, affectionatly known as "phablets"...basically two birds with one stone..smaller and more managable than a tablet, bigger screen than any smartphone.
    I used to do I.T. repairs mainly on mobile devices,Samsing make good gear at a fair price and the abdroid software they run makes it easy to get abything free apps/music/books ...and particularly for this case free AUDIOBOOKS.

I've always found iPhones overpriced and unreliable,the software/app market the use is a pain and they charge so many extras..also proberbly the smallest screen of all the fullsize smartphones.

For my money i would with the Samsyng Galaxy (which i use-muscular dystrophy),or if you want an even bigger screen go with the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Advertisement