Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

belmac muck spreader

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

considering getting a 5 cubic belmac side spreader..any tips/recomendations i should look for?are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I see a lovely dinky galvanised one I our local dealers yard. Look a nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭royalmeath

I recommend ringing a contractor and dont waste your time or money on a toy dung spreader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

royalmeath wrote: »
    I recommend ringing a contractor and dont waste your time or money on a toy dung spreader

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah but if got at the right money it's handy thing to have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

how much would a contractor charge is the question? contractors aren't cheap, i know they have all the gear and they have to pay it and all that craic but if you add up 5-6 of contracting years you would have done the job and have the machine for another 10/15 years..thats the way i look at it but i get your point all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thats fine if you have the fields for a big dungspreader and a massive dungheap .
    Around here there is still the odd lad forking it out of the shed into the muckspreader and trying to negotiate a blackthorn tree in the middle of the three cornered hilly garden !
    For these kind of jobs the your own dungspreader is the only job .

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

what HP tractor would you need for 7.5 cu M dung spreader ? Would MF165 have enough horses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

what HP tractor would you need for 7.5 cu M dung spreader ? Would MF165 have enough horses ?

I used to drive one with 100hp

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eddiemunk

buy a chainsaw instead cut down the blacktorn and ring a contractor with a bunning aqnd don't be a daft clown buyin them bastard sidespreaders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

probably do it, but if hilly you may be stretched.

belmac 9 cub here last few years, shed pull a 100hp down, rarely would get her up on full revs with it and had to spread across any banks as she didnt have power to go up them while spreading.

there an ok spreader, paint would be light enough on them, but its gona be worn off the inside after first few load one way or the other.
    they can be a tad rough on the finish to, the cover over chain on front has a bit cut out to sit over the front support plate, it was chopped out with grinder and never tidied up, just sprayed, and you have to take it off to get at the grease points on the bearings, not great when ideally they should be done every day

just to add also wouldnt be overly mad on the hinges on the lid either, and they may have changed them now but the big ugly butresses for the ram to open the lid are some bugger to catch every bit of dung going and end up packed with dung

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Have 1 here 11 years, grand job if you have a right way to load it. Better than waiting on contractors, works out cheaper in the long run as most spreaders will last 20/30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had a pile in an old silo pit, 40 foot long, 16 foot wide and about 8 feet high. Contractor and spreader, plus a JCB loader, €460. It was well rotted stuff as well, so no messing about with wrapping round the shaft either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

eddiemunk wrote: »
    buy a chainsaw instead cut down the blacktorn and ring a contractor with a bunning aqnd don't be a daft clown buyin them bastard sidespreaders

They work fine?

I have an abbey that is donkeys years old. It was old 20 years ago when my father bought it. It works fine for the small bit it does every year. A contractor would hardly want to come to do the bit we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

eddiemunk wrote: »

You know as well as I that you cant go cutting down blackthorns , sure don't the fairies live under them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I use 200 round bales of straw a year plus waste silage to be spread. Looks a fair heap. Cost 350 to 450 a year to spread with contractor with loader and bunning. Shortish draw. All done in a few hours. Would take me days with a sideslinger. I can borrow a 10.5 meter one and I dont bother. All that hassle with strings and sorting out chains etc. Asked a friend who does contract work if he wanted to spread my dung with his sideslinger and his reply was that if it is more than a few loads he gets the contractor with the bunning for his own dung. The old type sideslinger is too slow.

Advertisement