Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Predictions

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

So the 2014 season is just days away, time to get the crystal ball out and see what it throws up.

Premiers: Sydney

I think the general feeling is that Sydney, Freo and Hawthorn are the genuine contenders and of that group I see Sydney as having the most about them to win it all. Very balanced midfield group and what should be the best forwardline in the competition. The Hawks will go close but last year may catch up with them. Freo are just one forward short for me.

Dark Horse: North Melbourne

I think North will be top 4, they really should have been up there last year and they have a great balance of solid talls, excellent inside mids and pace on the outside.

Sliders: Geelong, Carlton

I think Geelong's injuries and the age of the likes of Bartel, Kelly, Enright etc will finally catch up with them this year. They miss the 8 for me. I also don't Adelaide or Carlton make the 8.

Your Team: Collingwood

I think we genuinely will have the best midfield in the comp this year with the addition of Adams and the return for the full season of Beams. I don't think our defence is good enough to hold the likes of the Hawks and Sydney and it remains to be seen if Grundy can carry the majority of the load in the ruck or if Witts can step up. I think we'll finish sixth.

Brownlow: Scott Pendlebury

Rising Star: Troy Menzel (will be a star for Carlton this year if he stays fit)

Coleman: Jarryd Roughead

1. Fremantle
    2. Sydney
    3. Hawthorn
    4. North Melbourne
    5. Richmond
    6. Collingwood
    7. Essendon
    8. West Coast
    9. Port Adelaide
    10. Geelong
    11. Carlton
    12. Adelaide
    13. Gold Coast
    14. Brisbane
    15. Western Bulldogs
    16. Melbourne
    17. GWS
    18. St Kilda

Have at it...only 5 days to go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Premiers: Fremantle

As you said SSK, I think its between Sydney, Hawthorn and Fremantle for the flag this year.
    I think the Hawks and Freo are just above Sydney though. I just dont think Franklin will be the difference, Sydney football is all about the team, not individuals.

The hawks are looking good. Its very hard to win a flag, nevermind back to back, but if any team can do it, its this Hawks line up. Older stars still looking good, some great young kids, and they have a proper ruckman this year.

They should have won a lot more games last year, if they fix the defensive side of their game plan, they will be very dangerous.

Sliders: Geelong

Geelong have been good for so long, I think their aging stars will catch up with them, I still have them in the 8 though. They wont fall that far that quickly.

Your Team: Fremantle

As is well documented, Freo's forward line is lacking another tall. Bloody Gumbleton and his tissue paper hamstrings will struggle to put a couple of games together. We have some young prospects in Taberner and Hannath, but they are off full AFL pace at the moment. All Freo need is a decent tall who can kick a couple of goals a game to take a defender off Pavlich, and it looks like we will be relying on Keplar Bradley yet again. (when he returns from injury)

The addition of Griffin and Morabito throughout the year will bump up the stocks too.

Brownlow: Joel Selwood - If he cuts out the ducking for frees

Rising Star: I honestly don't know

Coleman: Kurt Tippet

1. Fremantle
    2. Hawthorn
    3. Sydney
    4. Collingwood
    5. Essendon
    6. North
    7. Geelong
    8. Richmond
    9. Adelaide
    10. Port Adelaide
    11. West Coast
    12. Carlton
    13. Gold Coast
    14. Brisbane
    15. Western Bulldogs
    16. Melbourne
    17. GWS
    18. St Kilda

Looking forward to the season, heading over to a mates house after work on friday for pizza, beers and footy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

I'll be there on Friday night Mackman, can't wait for it. I'm really not sure how it'll go, if White and Reid are both fit we should kick a competitive score but with Marley Williams out I'm very scared Ballantyne and Walters will run riot as out other small defenders are either inexperienced (Sinclair and Langdon) or just back from injury (Toovey, who'll probably take Mayne anyway).

Do you think Morabito will play much AFL this year? He was an exciting prospect but he's been out for so long it's hard to know whether he'll be able to re-adapt. It would be a great story if he does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 slireyo

Thanks all

SSK wrote: »
    I'll be there on Friday night Mackman, can't wait for it. I'm really not sure how it'll go, if White and Reid are both fit we should kick a competitive score but with Marley Williams out I'm very scared Ballantyne and Walters will run riot as out other small defenders are either inexperienced (Sinclair and Langdon) or just back from injury (Toovey, who'll probably take Mayne anyway).

Do you think Morabito will play much AFL this year? He was an exciting prospect but he's been out for so long it's hard to know whether he'll be able to re-adapt. It would be a great story if he does.

I'm 50/50 on the game on friday. Freo aren't in top form at the moment, their skills in the pre-season were terrible. But i'm sure Lyon will pull them into line, I have Collingwood in the top 4 this year, so i'm expecting a good game.

I wouldnt worry about Ballantyne, he's been off the pace for while now, he needs to get his head straight. Walters though, All Australian lock this year.

I wouldnt expect Morabito to play seniors for a few months. After 3 knee reco's, they will make sure he is ready before putting him in. He is looking a million buck though, he played for Peel Thunder at the weekend apparently ran out 3 quarters no problem, bursting packs and making clearances, so watch out when he does get back :)

Jesse White is the recruit of the off season IMO, would have loved to get him at Freo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Premiers: Hawthorn

Agree with other lads around top 3 and could easily be Sydney or Freo as my choice.

Probably not a dark horse any more as most people who saw them last year could see they were an elite team that suffered a shocking run of close defeats and no small amount of bad luck. In all Tiges games I attended last season North played us off the pitch like no other team.

Sliders: Port

Loved watching them last year but have to expect the likes of North, W.C, Adelaide, Carlton and even GC to push past them this season.

Your Team: Richmond

Mmm, mixed feelings about coming season. As Tiges fan optimism is not a natural disposition. I think we will make the 8 fairly comfortably but still think we are little way off top 4 side. I think North will push us down a spot and if Bombers move on from last season , then it will be us, Pies, Bombers and Geelong filling 5-8 positions.

Cotchin and Martin have to be massive this year. Too quiet in some big games last season. Need Rance to stay healthy and play well every week as he is only back that can deal with class power forwards, with exception of Cloke tearing him a new one last year he was exceptional against big guys.

Brownlow: P Dangerfield (T Liberatore an e/w bet pre season :) )

Rising Star: L Dunstan.

Coleman: J Cameron

1. Fremantle
    2. Sydney
    3. Hawthorn
    4. North Melbourne
    5. Collingwood
    6. Essendon
    7. Richmond
    8. Geelong
    9. Carlton
    10. Gold Coast
    11. Adelaide
    12. West Coast
    13. Port Adelaide
    14. Western Bulldogs
    15. Brisbane
    16. Melbourne
    17. GWS
    18. St Kilda

• Advertisement

Mackman wrote: »
    I'm 50/50 on the game on friday. Freo aren't in top form at the moment, their skills in the pre-season were terrible. But i'm sure Lyon will pull them into line, I have Collingwood in the top 4 this year, so i'm expecting a good game.

I wouldnt worry about Ballantyne, he's been off the pace for while now, he needs to get his head straight. Walters though, All Australian lock this year.

I wouldnt expect Morabito to play seniors for a few months. After 3 knee reco's, they will make sure he is ready before putting him in. He is looking a million buck though, he played for Peel Thunder at the weekend apparently ran out 3 quarters no problem, bursting packs and making clearances, so watch out when he does get back :)

Jesse White is the recruit of the off season IMO, would have loved to get him at Freo

White and Reid out, very much swaying towards a Freo victory now.

Saw some footage of Morabito's return match on 360 tonight, he's still a beautiful mover with the ball. Fingers crossed there's no more issues and he can make a full return. Could potentially be a difference maker come September.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Premiers - Sydney, great midfield, and with Buddy they have some super forwards.
    Dark Horse - Richmond. Poor exit last year, should make up for it.
    Sliders - Collingwood. I think Bucks might get found out this year. Carlton my other tip
    Brownlow - Ablett. Absolute stand out player for his team who are continuing on the rise.
    Coelman - Josh Kennedy. Pushed hard last year, expect Eagles and therefore him to score more.
    Rising star - Jack Martin
    My Team - Eagles - should improve, but that wouldnt be hard to do. Too much quality to be languishing down low. Expect a top 8, maybe 6th or 7th.

Sydney
    Hawthorn
    Freo
    Richmond
    Geelong
    Eagles
    Collingwood
    North Melbourne
    Gold Coast
    Port Adelaide
    Carlton
    Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Brisbane
    Melbourne
    St Kilda
    GWS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Premiers: Sydney

I think it's between Sydney and Hawthorn this year. Contrary to what a lot of others are saying, I don't think Freo will be genuine flag contenders this time round. I think the Buddy transfer will prove to be the difference in the end. Their mids and forwards will be too much for the others.

Dark Horse: Gold Coast

I agree with most others that North will be dark horses for the top 4. I think the Suns will be dark horses for a place in the 8. Their home form was fantastic towards the end of the 2013 campaign and, with another year's experience under their belts, I think they will push on again this year.

Sliders: Essendon, Richmond

The Bombers were top 4 contenders most of last year but finished the campaign on a terrible slide and barely finished in the top 8 (before they were dumped out). It's possible that they'll be galvanised by the 'them versus us' attitude after what happened to them last year but I think they'll fall outside the 8 this time round. Bruschi - you must think they'll be expelled from the competition completely - you left them out of your final ladder altogether :p I think Richmond will take a step backwards this year too.

Your Team: Carlton

A lot of people have Carlton down as sliders this year but I think we'll make the top 8 (properly this time). Added some very good players in the off season but could've done with a new tall forward. Certainly not top 4 quality but Zach Tuohy's beard should help fire us to a top 6/7 finish and, after that, who knows...

/takes off blue tinted glasses :cool:

Brownlow: Ablett

I really want to pick someone else but it's difficult to look past Ablett again this year. I think the Suns will win more games this year and Ablett will be crucial to any potential rise up the ladder. Amazing player.

Rising Star: Jack Martin (Gold Coast) - I'm really putting all my eggs in the GC basket this year :pac:

Coleman: Josh Kennedy. Was there or thereabouts most of last year and the Eagles were a shambles. They should win more games this time round and he's a goal scoring machine.

1. Hawthorn
    2. Sydney
    3. Geelong
    4. North Melbourne
    5. Collingwood
    6. Freo
    7. Carlton*
    8. Gold Coast*
    9. West Coast*
    10. Port Adelaide*
    11. Essendon*
    12. Richmond*
    13. Adelaide
    14. Western Bulldogs
    15. Brisbane
    16. Melbourne
    17. GWS
    18. St Kilda

*I think max 8-12 points will separate these 6 teams and each team could easily end up in any of these final positions

Completely agree about the middle third of the table, gonna be very congested come the end of the year.

Just finishing up in work, beers and food in the sunshine then down to the Etihad, hopefully for a Pies win!

Completely agree about the middle third of the table, gonna be very congested come the end of the year.

Just finishing up in work, beers and food in the sunshine then down to the Etihad, hopefully for a Pies win!

Ya lucky yoke, I still have 2 hours left of work, then gotta run across town to pick up the daughter from day care, then race back across town, picking up some beer somewhere along the way, and hoping that I make it to a mates house before bounce down. Stupid AFL scheduling.

• Advertisement

Wow, I expected a win but jeez. After the first quarter Collingwood just rolled over.

Great win by Freo though, great start to the season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Guys,
    Should have replied a few days about when I seen the forecasted tables. When I seen that the highest entry for either Adelaide team was ninth, I thought I was seeing things and this was typical Eastern State location bias! After tonight, I am convinced of it. If one of the Adelaide teams finish no higher than ninth, I will eat my hat! And, by the way, come and visit our new stadium. It is world-class. Believe me, come and have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Guys,
    Should have replied a few days about when I seen the forecasted tables. When I seen that the highest entry for either Adelaide team was ninth, I thought I was seeing things and this was typical Eastern State location bias! After tonight, I am convinced of it. If one of the Adelaide teams finish no higher than ninth, I will eat my hat! And, by the way, come and visit our new stadium. It is world-class. Believe me, come and have a look!

Wouldn't read too much into half of round 1 but given that most of us tipped Freo and Swans in top 3 don't think there is much bias really, just opinion based on what we know of teams.

Btw, I am heading on lads weekend to Adelaide in July with couple of mates who are Hawks/Crows fans for the Adelaide v Hawthorn game, looking forward seeing a game there (will be a crows fan for that night only :) )

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Guys,

I had Adelaide just out of the 8 because of the injuries they have, and I think Port might just slide a little from a great year last year. But after seeing what Collingwood and Sydney dished up at the weekend, they have a very good chance of playing finals this year.

Carlton were awful last night and yet Port only saw them off in the last 10 minutes so I'm not totally convinced yet. I had them slipping a little bit but they were there or thereabouts for my top 8. I'll wait to see them play a true contender before adjusting my assessment.

Adelaide just don't do it for me, particularly given their injuries. If Walker and Douglas come back firing then they could climb but I'm comfortable where I placed them.

As for Collingwood, pathetic performance. Freo didn't have to get out of 3rd gear really and we still couldn't compete with them. Hopefully we get some of the injuries back for the next day but the season outlook doesn't look promising at the moment. Our defence is a shambles so it's hard to see us restricting any of the big guns to a reasonable score.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Carlton were awful last night and yet Port only saw them off in the last 10 minutes so I'm not totally convinced yet. I had them slipping a little bit but they were there or thereabouts for my top 8. I'll wait to see them play a true contender before adjusting my assessment.

Adelaide just don't do it for me, particularly given their injuries. If Walker and Douglas come back firing then they could climb but I'm comfortable where I placed them.

As for Collingwood, pathetic performance. Freo didn't have to get out of 3rd gear really and we still couldn't compete with them. Hopefully we get some of the injuries back for the next day but the season outlook doesn't look promising at the moment. Our defence is a shambles so it's hard to see us restricting any of the big guns to a reasonable score.

Good summary. I don't agree Carlton were dreadful but they were certainly not great. I think they will claim a few scalps but be lucky to play finals. I am a Crows fan and I think they will play finals this year. They are fitter and stronger than last year and have more depth than last year, particularly up front. Port Adelaide will do good this year. I think they will consolidate on what they achieved last year.
    I agree that 5 to 11 is a lottery at the moment. I think Essendon will surprise and North will flatter again. Then again, what do I know? I'm an Arsenal supporter!!!

Table

1. Hawks.
    2. Freo.
    3. Essendon
    4. Sydney
    5. Port
    6. Adelaide
    7. North
    8. Gold Coast
    9. Carlton
    10. West Coast
    11. Collingwood
    12. Geelong
    13. Richmond
    14. GWS
    15. Bulldogs
    16. Melbourne
    17. St. Kilda
    18. Brisbane

thats some interesting predictions there Seipeal! I cant say I'd agree with some of them, but if they come off, it would be some specatular predicting!

Final table:
    1. Sydney
    2. Hawthorn
    3. Geelong
    4. Fremantle
    5. Port Adelaide
    6. North Melbourne
    7. Essendon
    8. Richmond
    9. West Coast
    10. Adelaide
    11. Collingwood
    12. Gold Coast
    13. Carlton
    14. Bulldogs
    15. Brisbane
    16. GWS Giants
    17. Melbourne
    18. St Kilda

Sliders
    Collingwood
    Carlton
    nearly Richmond!

Dark Horses
    North Melbourne
    And considering most here had Port out of it, they could be considered dark horses

Brownlow -
    Not yet concluded - to be updated. Current bookies rankings
    Joel Selwood
    Gary Ablett
    Josh Kennedy (Syd)
    Matt Priddis
    Scott Pendlebury

Coleman Medal -
    Lance Franklin - 67 goals
    Jay Schultz - 62 goals
    Tom Hawkins - 62 goals
    Jarryd Roughead - 62 goals
    Josh Kennedy - 61 goals

Rising Star -
    Lewis Taylor
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Luke McDonald
    James Aish
    Kade Kolodjashnij

bruschi wrote: »
    Premiers - Sydney, great midfield, and with Buddy they have some super forwards.
    Dark Horse - Richmond. Poor exit last year, should make up for it.
    Sliders - Collingwood. I think Bucks might get found out this year. Carlton my other tip
    Brownlow - Ablett. Absolute stand out player for his team who are continuing on the rise.
    Coelman - Josh Kennedy. Pushed hard last year, expect Eagles and therefore him to score more.
    Rising star - Jack Martin
    My Team - Eagles - should improve, but that wouldnt be hard to do. Too much quality to be languishing down low. Expect a top 8, maybe 6th or 7th.

Sydney
    Hawthorn
    Freo
    Richmond
    Geelong
    Eagles
    Collingwood
    North Melbourne
    Edit: insert Essendon
    Gold Coast
    Port Adelaide
    Carlton
    Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Brisbane
    Melbourne
    St Kilda
    GWS

I didnt fare too badly here, 6 of 8 in the finals. Take out a poor estimation on Richmond and the top 4 was there abouts. Some awful calls, Port Adelaide the worst one. Should have based it on their performance rather than thinking it was a flash in the pan. Over estimated Richmond too, although if they started the season like they finished they would have been top 4. Even though I called Collingwood for being a slider, I still had them in my finals, so got that wrong. Carlton were indeed a slider alright, and Eagles just failed me, although their games against Essendon and Richmond really screwed them up. Over estimated the Eagles again though, I should know better by now!

Ablett might still win the brownlow, Martin got injured and only got a late nomination for the rising star, and Josh Kennedy was in the shake up for Coleman, but should have known Buddy would turn it on again.

Looking forward to finals now!

Advertisement