Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining weight while running

Options
  • 09-03-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I've recently started running in the evenings, I tend to go through months of exercising, then months of doing very little, but recently I've being increasing the amount of evenings and hours I've been out on the local track.

My question is, I tend to end up losing a lot of weight when I run, and I don't want this, as I'm a fairly slim build as I am, and I'm currently running for mental fitness, not so much physical fitness at the minute. What foods should I be eating to keep my body mass in place? Simple, common type foods please, I'm not really too pushed on any supplements etc, nor does my budget allow for them at the minute anyway.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've recently started running in the evenings, I tend to go through months of exercising, then months of doing very little, but recently I've being increasing the amount of evenings and hours I've been out on the local track.

My question is, I tend to end up losing a lot of weight when I run, and I don't want this, as I'm a fairly slim build as I am, and I'm currently running for mental fitness, not so much physical fitness at the minute. What foods should I be eating to keep my body mass in place? Simple, common type foods please, I'm not really too pushed on any supplements etc, nor does my budget allow for them at the minute anyway.

Thanks.

Keep a food / exercise diary for a few weeks.
    1 mile running is approx. 100 calories, so if you're running 30 miles per week you need 3k additional calories ideally from sensible choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Eat healthy and if you keep the running up 12 months a year, I think the body adapts and you'll stop losing the weight. Otherwise, we'd all weigh nothing, wouldn't we! Also, if you are light and you're losing weight, maybe a 'treat' after a run might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I would say you just need to up your food intake, or at least your calorie intake. I'm quite slim too and had similar issues when I started to train steadily again.

These days, I am constantly snacking on fruit, nuts, peanut butter sandwiches - to supplement my main meals. Eggs are also a great way to fill a gap - some people prefer just the white of the egg, others the whole egg. It can take a bit of work to get used to but once you find the routine it becomes straight forward enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I find eating a ****load of donuts and drinking beer works for me :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Ranulph Fiennes and other polar explorers swear by butter. Lots and lots of butter: "a diet of 62% fat with ghee butter covering most of what we ate." (http://blogs.birminghampost.co.uk/business/2010/11/sir-ranulph-fiennes---leadersh.html)
    Of course he's had the odd heart attack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

cianc wrote: »
    Ranulph Fiennes and other polar explorers swear by butter. Lots and lots of butter: "a diet of 62% fat with ghee butter covering most of what we ate." (http://blogs.birminghampost.co.uk/business/2010/11/sir-ranulph-fiennes---leadersh.html)
    Of course he's had the odd heart attack :)

<childish>tee hee hee</childish>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Beef wrote: »
    <childish>tee hee hee</childish>

Top notch tittering. I did the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Matt Fitzgeralds book Racing Weight is very good. It's aimed at weight loss for runners but I found it an excellent simple guide to eating healthily and just maintaining target weight when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Something I've thought about myself.

I've mainly upped my intake via more carb (usually pasta), more protein (eggs, meat) and more junk....(ten mile run, I think I can handle a few biscuits now).

So proportionately I think I am eating less veg.......

Am wondering am I doing this the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Cheers for all the input folks, pasta, eggs, fruit's, nuts and plenty of butter to supplement my main meals. And the odd donut..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Don't forget milk...its one of natures best natural substances for gaining weight (i.e a growing baby lives on this for months of its early developing life)...

Google "GOMAD" if you ever feel the need to gain weight fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Cona wrote: »
    Don't forget milk...its one of natures best natural substances for gaining weight (i.e a growing baby lives on this for months of its early developing life)...

Google "GOMAD" if you ever feel the need to gain weight fast.

Get that SMA into you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 UtopianWarlord

Nuts and some seeds fairly calorie dense and healthy, some like pumpkin seeds are also supposed to be good for mental health too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

A pint of full fat milk after a run/gym session would be my go to. Eggs for breakfast. Ciaran O'Lionaird tweeted a couple of weeks back that he eats 5 eggs a day on average during phases of intense training. I also eat a lot of unsalted nuts. And rashers.

I usually don't keep a log of calories, but I try to get protein in with every meal. Protein and fats usually come together, so that alone should sort you out if you keep it in mind.

Advertisement