Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Macbook

• 09-03-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

So I'm in London less than a week, renting a shared temporary accomodation with 5 others. While I was out last night someone managed to get into my room and steal my computer. As it wasn't insured, I probably can't do much. The landlord doesn't seem to be too interested in investigating. Even reporting to the police seems a waste of time. It seems I'll have to suck it up. Sickening, they also took a speak worth 100 euro, the macbook bought for over 1000 a few months ago. Anyway I wondered if anyone know of a way to trace it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Have you got find my mac turned on? If so you can login and see it's location if it's turned on, has wifi and hasn't been wiped yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Did you sign up to iCloud?

There's a section called Find my iPhone but it has tracking for all devices you have registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

colm_c wrote: »
    Have you got find my mac turned on? If so you can login and see it's location if it's turned on, has wifi and hasn't been wiped yet.

I never even heard of find my mac, let alone downloaded it.

lufties wrote: »

Do you have an iTunes account?

Go here and try log in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

You don't have to, login to icloud here

It's called find my iPhone but works for macs too,

Hope you get it back, :)

• Advertisement

Jaggy wrote: »
    Do you have an iTunes account?

Go here and try log in.

My stupid Samsung doesn't support the browser. Yes I have an itunes account, does that link up with icloud?

My stupid Samsung doesn't support the browser. Yes I have an itunes account, does that link up with icloud?

Yeah, they're all the same account. Pretty sure if you've logged in on that Macbook,which I presume you have, you'll be able to access the Find my iphone section. Try get to a desktop/laptop perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Hope you get it back.

The password on your mac itself is also easily bypassed.

Suggest you also change any passwords that you would have auto saved online or on apps, as these can be easily retrieved if the person is so inclined.

iCloud, iTunes, find my mac/iPhone are all the same login and are linked together. The apple eco-system as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Do get the police involved.

This happened a friend of mine, something similar. He'd held a poker night in his house, and his rent money was taken from a drawer. He was very embarrased to ask us, but we'd been the only people in the house, 3 friends + 2 of his colleagues.

Someone suggested he get the guards involved, ask them to dust for prints, and we'd voluntarily submit ours. It was a sunday evening by then so he said he'd do that first thing monday morning.

He went to bed, then when he came down stairs next morning there was an envelope in his letterbox, with the rent money all there.

He decided not to go through with calling the guards. Don't know why, I'd have loved to know who it was.

Jaggy wrote: »
    Yeah, they're all the same account. Pretty sure if you've logged in on that Macbook,which I presume you have, you'll be able to access the Find my iphone section. Try get to a desktop/laptop perhaps.

thank you, I'll get to a cafe and try that.

• Advertisement

Do get the police involved.

This happened a friend of mine, something similar. He'd held a poker night in his house, and his rent money was taken from a drawer. He was very embarrased to ask us, but we'd been the only people in the house, 3 friends + 2 of his colleagues.

Someone suggested he get the guards involved, ask them to dust for prints, and we'd voluntarily submit ours. It was a sunday evening by then so he said he'd do that first thing monday morning.

He went to bed, then when he came down stairs next morning there was an envelope in his letterbox, with the rent money all there.

He decided not to go through with calling the guards. Don't know why, I'd have loved to know who it was.

Yea its a real mystery, The spanish couple whose room I took over are friends with another existing couple in the house, just seems strange my room was targeted out of 7 rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Your stupid Samsung doesn't support what browser?

Not sure if it's the Samsung that's stupid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Get the police involved and make it well known that you're getting the police involved. Did your room have a lock? Who had keys? If the house wasn't broken into you've 5 possible suspects.

You really can't be that trusting around people you've known for such a short period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Take the rest of the week off and have a murder mystery week in the house...at the end of it you'll have found the scoundrel!

TheZohan wrote: »
    Take the rest of the week off and have a murder mystery week in the house...at the end of it you'll have found the scoundrel!

Ya I have the week off. It gets murky, one girl in the house said this spanish couple tried to enter her room before while she was in there, they tried many keys but couldn't get in and eventually gave up. She also reported this to the landlord, but he did nothing about it.

humbert wrote: »
    Get the police involved and make it well known that you're getting the police involved. Did your room have a lock? Who had keys? If the house wasn't broken into you've 5 possible suspects.

You really can't be that trusting around people you've known for such a short period of time.

I didn't trust anyone, the suspects are not around now apparently they are gone back to spain. I took over the room from them using the same keys, in reality a chubb lock should be used as they could have cut the key. Hindsight is a great thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Stealing is an act that just makes my f**kin blood boil. Hope you have some luck and that the thief never ever has any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

thank you, I'll get to a cafe and try that.

Yea do, it's worth a try at least. It's not a perfect system by any means but could help lead you to being reunited with your possessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Don't be an idiot, report it to the police. If there was no damage caused to enter the house it leaves them with a very limited suspect pool (including yourself, repeat over and over how you have no insurance while winking.) If it was a flatmate then seeing that they got away with it, without any police involvement will make them very likely to do it again.

• Advertisement

Don't be an idiot, report it to the police. If there was no damage caused to enter the house it leaves them with a very limited suspect pool (including yourself, repeat over and over how you have no insurance while winking.) If it was a flatmate then seeing that they got away with it, without any police involvement will make them very likely to do it again.

I reported it yesterday but the police say they can do nothing. They do acknowledge that I was burgled. Anyway its looking like the thief was the person whose room I took over.
    I found out last night that he attempted this before with another housemate while she was in the room. She said that she reported it to the landlord and he did nothing. This makes me very angry. I'll confront him today about it, although I said it to him last night and he started to spoof me with waffle, turning things around as if I'm blaming him personally for the theft.

Anyway,I'm sure the neighbours in the area will be delighted to hear that there's a burglar going around that was mysteriously not reported by the landlord to police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

That's the hassle with moving into places. No landlord is going to change the locks when one of the tenants move out and who's to say that anyone may have kept the key or else just cut a spare form themselves. I'm going to be moving on to another place soon and I may invest in a Kensington Laptop lock as well and attach it to a radiator or something sturdy in the room near my desk. I would be livid if my stuff got nicked.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She said that she reported it to the landlord and he did nothing.
    Looks like the landlord has some blame, find out if you can report them to someone. They might be part of some association with rules covering this kind of thing.
    No landlord is going to change the locks when one of the tenants move out and who's to say that anyone may have kept the key or else just cut a spare form themselves.
    Why shouldn't the landlord change the locks if he knows he can't account for all the keys? Remember you're buying a service off the landlord and that service should include security, there are standards set out in law so I wouldn't assume the landlord can get off scot free. You may just have to accept the losses but you could make life difficult for the landlord.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Looks like the landlord has some blame, find out if you can report them to someone. They might be part of some association with rules covering this kind of thing.

Why shouldn't the landlord change the locks if he knows he can't account for all the keys? Remember you're buying a service off the landlord and that service should include security, there are standards set out in law so I wouldn't assume the landlord can get off scot free. You may just have to accept the losses but you could make life difficult for the landlord.

Ya there is some sort of citizens advice bureau but it sounds like a bit of a tootless tiger straight off. The landlord received a report of an attempted burglary from one of the other tenants and deemed it not serious enough to act on I.E wouldn't cause himself hassle and spend a few bob upgrading the security of the place. Chubb locks with a code for every tenant surely would not cost too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Reminds me of this story.

Any luck with tracking it no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Ya there is some sort of citizens advice bureau but it sounds like a bit of a tootless tiger straight off. The landlord received a report of an attempted burglary from one of the other tenants and deemed it not serious enough to act on I.E wouldn't cause himself hassle and spend a few bob upgrading the security of the place. Chubb locks with a code for every tenant surely would not cost too much.

Well the guy didnt get in in the previous attempted burglary so I guess the landlord could use that to argue he seen no reason anyone would be able to get in a second time.

If it was a previous tenant with a key and the landlord knew about it and didnt change the locks then I'd bring it up along with the idea of a civil lawsuit again him. 1100 odd euro worth of stuff upped and gone is a bit hit to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ya there is some sort of citizens advice bureau but it sounds like a bit of a tootless tiger straight off.
    They might point you in the right direction though.
    The landlord received a report of an attempted burglary from one of the other tenants and deemed it not serious enough to act on I.E wouldn't cause himself hassle and spend a few bob upgrading the security of the place.
    Do you have a rental agreement? There might be something in there about security. If you can show the landlord knew there were problems with his security and did nothing about it your contract might have a clause that means your not getting the service you paid for.

Chubb locks with a code for every tenant surely would not cost too much.
    Even if the landlord said put a lock on your room he would have been covering himself by warning you. By not warning you at least, I would think he has some responsibility.

ScumLord wrote: »
    They might point you in the right direction though.

Do you have a rental agreement? There might be something in there about security. If you can show the landlord knew there were problems with his security and did nothing about it your contract might have a clause that means your not getting the service you paid for.

Even if the landlord said put a lock on your room he would have been covering himself by warning you. By not warning you at least, I would think he has some responsibility.

I have no rental agreement, but got all my rent back thankfully so it was some compensation at least.

The landlord and I went to the police but they said its up to the tenant to report. The landlord is a charleton by all means. He was bragging to me about getting 40 requests to view his property per day. In london its a landlords market, probably similar to dublin actually.

Advertisement