Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend phone cable?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 5:30pm

i had an Eircom engineer fix an external fault on my eFibre broadband. When doing so he said there was another fault coming from a small extension box that the phone cable is going through (basically the extension box was done by a cowboy).

What I need to do is lengthen the phone cable another way. He suggested something called a "marry-on" (I thought it was a girl's name at first! :D).

Now I've googled and I'm not getting any hits for that term. To summarise how may I extend/lengthen an existing (and old) phone cable (not the VDSL cable I should emphasise!)? I don't want to replace the existing cable with a longer one simply because it would require a lot work/hassle/mess!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

An inline coupler would do it,
    4 way, 6 way or 8 way depending on what you want to extend.
    Tesco, Dunnes and hardware shops.

Something like This

Googling that as I speak....slightly embarrassing but what do you mean by 4 way, 6 way etc? I think the Eircom fella said something about "single"

edit: I think it's simply the number of cables coming out the other side....I just need a 1:1 then...I'll try Dunnes so..thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The coupler is used to extend cables which have the same number of wires in them that are terminated.
    In your case you wish to extend a simple phone cable.
    It will have 4 or 6 wires in it (look at the RJ11 connector to see)
    Then get the corresponding in line coupler/back to back to extend that cable.
    By the way as you know you will also need a length of cable to use to extend.
    Have a look in the supermarkets to see what is available.

Advertisement