Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to put broken trash in Wellington

Options
  • 09-03-2014 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi there,

Myself and my partner are moving place and trying to do a clearout. Anyone in Wellington know where we can dump a broken PC printer (with original box), broken set of drawers etc. No use on Trademe or Sallies unless they want parts. Don't want to leave it out on the road and we don't have enough to fill a skip.

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

The Wellington city landfill is out near Ohiro Bay/Happy Valley and has a cool recycling centre right outside where you can drop off old stuff like PCs and drawers that might be resalable and browse around other interesting things people have left.

http://wellington.govt.nz/services/environment-and-waste/landfill

Or if you're out Poriua direction their landfill and "Trash Palace" are out near Spicer Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭davepatr07

Sorry been busy lately, thanks for that. We managed to head up to the landfill. Pretty stressful moving and downgrading!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

leave it on the street in future, someone will always want whatever it is here :)
    no point paying to dump stuff if someone can use it. There's also the freecycle website, great resource

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

leave it on the street in future, someone will always want whatever it is here :)
    no point paying to dump stuff if someone can use it. There's also the freecycle website, great resource

Ya, depending on your neighbourhood though. But in the inner city, a sign taped to something saying "free" is legal and works wonders,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

The laws must be different in NZ, here in Ireland that's called fly-tipping! :)

I agree, though, that there's no point in dumping stuff if you can recycle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TrueDub wrote: »

I and my parents have done it plenty of times back in Ireland. It's not like you're leaving it anywhere, directly outside your driveway with a big sign saying 'free to take'. If it's not gone in a day then just take it back in.

I agree, though, that there's no point in dumping stuff if you can recycle it.

They are. Among other things, waste collectors do not have to be registered, because NZ does not have the same "community" that the establishment wants to control (you know who I mean!).

And I'm told that's the law which makes it illegal to say "free for the taking" in Ireland - you're using a waste disposal company without a permit.

Now seems to me there's an interesting legal case about whether the goods really are waste if someone else can use 'em. But I wouldn't want to be paying the lawyers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I and my parents have done it plenty of times back in Ireland. It's not like you're leaving it anywhere, directly outside your driveway with a big sign saying 'free to take'. If it's not gone in a day then just take it back in.

Ah, I see - that's quite different to what I thought the process was. A very good way of passing on used stuff.
    And I'm told that's the law which makes it illegal to say "free for the taking" in Ireland - you're using a waste disposal company without a permit.

Now seems to me there's an interesting legal case about whether the goods really are waste if someone else can use 'em. But I wouldn't want to be paying the lawyers!

I didn't know of any such law, I was thinking of the scenario of simply dumping stuff on the street/road and hoping someone either takes it home or someone else cleans up after you. I now see you're talking about a very different scenario.

I didn't know of any such law, I was thinking of the scenario of simply dumping stuff on the street/road and hoping someone either takes it home or someone else cleans up after you. I now see you're talking about a very different scenario.

Nope, I'm thinking of exactly the same scenario.

In NZ, I'd get rid of unwanted furniture by sticking it on the street with a "free" sign taped to it. If it wasn't taken by the end of the day, I'd take it back inside, and find another way to deal with it. But usually it went, in some neighbourhoods within 15 mintues!

But I've been told not to do that here in Ireland, 'cos of the waste disposal regs. (Apparently I'm not allowed to store my unwanted things on the street here, even temporarily!)

Advertisement