Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamper for pregnant friend

Options
  • 08-03-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Hello ladies!

My best friend is pregnant (due in July) and I thought I would make up a hamper for her (well I suppose it's for the baby) as money's a bit tight for me at the moment and I can't splash out on a big present.
    I am happy to put a hamper together though-I can buy a few things every week.

I'm just a little unsure as to what to put in it?
    I know the usual: babywipes, talc, baby lotion, oil, Sudocrem etc but I'm confused over nappies as, according to Tesco's website, there are different size nappies even for newborns?!
    Should I not buy nappies incase they're wrong?

And any other hamper suggestions would be perfect.
    Like I say, I can pick up a few items every week and then I will put them all in a nice basket.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Wouldn't bother with talc or baby oil: my babas 20 months and still have 3 tubs of each my mil bought in cupboard! Water wipes are good to buy in case babs has sensitive skin and can't use some of the others. Caldescene powder maybe? Nappies are a minefield: some don't suit some babies depending on size etc so I'd avoid. I'm due my second and literally have 1 pack bought I learnt my lesson 1st time!

What I found great (that I would never have thought of having) were the disposable dribble bibs for the start. I got calpol, gripe water and infacol. Muslin cloths were a godsend! Sleeved bibs: won't be used for awhile but will end up being used. A Sophie teether (it's a giraffe!), or other small rattles or soft book yokes. Everyone gave me clothes but no toys especially if it's a first baby a few small things are nice. Tommee tippee do a small nappy bag dispenser for your nappy bag too: really handy and you can buy refills for it in tesco too. More expensive than regular napy bags but I adore mine. Simple do a lovely baby range: you can pick them up in dealz too and not as harsh as Johnson's.

And don't forget mum: seriously chocolates (or whatever else she likes), nice shower gel or hand cream or body lotion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I would avoid any baby washes, lotions, oils etc ... I got loads as presents, haven't touched them yet, probably never will. Would also avoid nappies, wipes, etc tbh.

You cannot have enough muslin cloths! Seriously! Also cellular blankets.

Good quality ready-meals for the parents would be a great gift. Cully & Sully are nice, or maybe M&S.

A cute idea might be a voucher for a night's babysitting, when the child is a little bit older?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I know everyone gives clothes but have to say basics( vests/ baby grows) in larger size like 3-6 or 6-9 would be good. Most people gave us 0-3 which was brilliant cos didn't have to buy anything for that age but we were stuck for a week jamming babies poor feet into baby grows cos we hadn't any in the next size!

In a hamper someone gave us we got sippy cup, plates, bowls, tiny containers with lids for freezing food, long sleeve bibs. Won't be used yet but I'm happy knowing they're there and it's another thing I won't have to get.

I'd second water wipes - even if it's not the mams first choice they're amongst the least harsh and you can't have enough. You could also get cotton wool some people use that for nappy changes and also for bath time.

Lovely idea btw you're a good friend! Don't go nuts every week though cos cost will creep up. Check boots for 3for2, penneys, dealz, pound shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Muslin cloths, little toys that can dangle, in bright primary colours - with all our baby prep we never thought to buy any and they are lovely to have, babies love looking at them, some nice toiletries for mama bear, and stuff for when the baby is a bit older, like a little pack of feeding equipment, spoons, food pots, that sort of thing, those long sleeved bibs (I'm on the hunt for some of them today!)
    A floating bath/room thermometer - I can't judge water temp with my elbow so I need one! Mothercare and boots do nice top and tail bowls, I keep mine by the change mat and use it a lot. Ikea do brilliant sort of soft wicker hanging storage, in the bathroom accessories area; it's fantastic, I have one hung up by the change mat and it stores nappies, wipes, nappy bags, cotton wool, toiletries, all sorts, all within handy reach. The hamper itself could be something like this, useful for storing baby clothes/toys/nappies in.
    Throw in a babysitting voucher or two, as well as (if you can stretch to it) a voucher for a haircut - my hair looked like (and still looks like) sh!te and I would have LOVED a haircut and a couple of hours to enjoy it a couple of months after baba came along!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I wouldn't go with baby wipes or talc or lotions because I think choosing those are very much down to personal taste and preference and you don't want to waste money on something your friend might not even use.

I think little dribble bibs, plain baby gros for 6+ months, maybe a pretty changing bag, little hairbrush and nail clippers set, rubber duckies and bath toys, or a set of super soft little bath towels (the little ones with the hood are just ADORABLE) for when baby has his/her little bath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 NordieinDublin

A thermomether for the baby room or bath. Swaddle blankets. Muslin cloths. Sophie the giraffe. Hooded towel. Medical thermometer.
    Don't anything unless it's on Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

These are all fabulous ideas, thanks so much.

I won't go mad with baby wipes then, if you think the Mum would prefer to buy her own, and I don't want to buy any clothes as I know newborn babies grow very quickly.

Thanks again!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The little Lamaze toys,little blankets,food storage containers,cook some food for mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Agree with the others,stay away from lotions and wipes etc...

Baby vests,grows,socks,bibs! Scented nappy bags,cotton wool,little baby gloves tesco do lovely little ones they are two packs for like €1.25, i buy some every time im there cos they are small and easily lost.

Baby toys also,i just bought a Sophie the girafe for my little guy and he loves it! Also the baby toys that hang down so she can put them on the pram.

Baby towels are great too,little hats.

For mum,maybe get her some nice cream,possibly for stretch marks,if she is breast feeding get her a box of breast pads,very useful! And definitely some chocolates. A friend of mine got me a pair of maternity track suit bottoms and i have to say i would be lost without them now post pregnancy,really comfortable and great for hiding my little tummy now,she got them in new look.

Oh Dunnes have a lovely keep sake box at the moment,in baby section,really cute with little drawers for different things like hospital arm tag,first baby boots etc,really sweet and only €8!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Agree with the others,stay away from lotions and wipes etc...

Baby vests,grows,socks,bibs! Scented nappy bags,cotton wool,little baby gloves tesco do lovely little ones they are two packs for like €1.25, i buy some every time im there cos they are small and easily lost.

Baby toys also,i just bought a Sophie the girafe for my little guy and he loves it! Also the baby toys that hang down so she can put them on the pram.

Baby towels are great too,little hats.

For mum,maybe get her some nice cream,possibly for stretch marks,if she is breast feeding get her a box of breast pads,very useful! And definitely some chocolates. A friend of mine got me a pair of maternity track suit bottoms and i have to say i would be lost without them now post pregnancy,really comfortable and great for hiding my little tummy now,she got them in new look.

Oh Dunnes have a lovely keep sake box at the moment,in baby section,really cute with little drawers for different things like hospital arm tag,first baby boots etc,really sweet and only €8!

I love all your ideas! The part highlighted in bold is really fantastic, I never though of stuff like that.
    I love the idea of baby vests and gloves...do the gloves come in different sizes? I've just realised that might sound like a ridiculous question now.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I did this for my pal recently, and asked her to tell me a couple if small things she needed from her list, (a gro-bag and cellular blanket) so I could add them to the hamper.

I went with things like cotton wool (balls and wads), earbuds, muslin, bibs, vests, towels, fleece blanket, colic drops, teething gel, breast pads, maternity pads, tissues (for crying!), nappy bags, wipes, Vaseline, Sudocreme, gentle baby wash and shampoo.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I did this for my pal recently, and asked her to tell me a couple if small things she needed from her list, (a gro-bag and cellular blanket) so I could add them to the hamper.

I went with things like cotton wool (balls and wads), earbuds, muslin, bibs, vests, towels, fleece blanket, colic drops, teething gel, breast pads, maternity pads, tissues (for crying!), nappy bags, wipes, Vaseline, Sudocreme, gentle baby wash and shampoo.

Pardon my ignorance...what's a cellular blanket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

fussyonion wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance...what's a cellular blanket?

They are baby blankets with tiny little holes in them, they are the only blankets the baby will use in the first few months (so forget the cute soft fleecey ones!) I usually have four on the go at all times - two in his Moses basket, and two in his carrycot - and he's always puking on them, so honestly you can't have enough of them. It's a great present to give someone.

Stay away from the Mothercare ones though - they don't wash well at all. The ones in Baby Elegance aren't bad!

ElleEm wrote: »

This sounds lovely! All stuff that you can't have too much of :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I love all your ideas! The part highlighted in bold is really fantastic, I never though of stuff like that.
    I love the idea of baby vests and gloves...do the gloves come in different sizes? I've just realised that might sound like a ridiculous question now.......

I havnt seen them in different sizes,these little gloves or mits are for new born and are for when babies scratch themselves,they have really sharp nails and babies love to touch their faces so you don't want them hurting their poor little faces,can't imagine you would need them after a few months anyway,their finger nails would have grown a bit to you can cut them!

Oh totally agree with what was said about mother care blankets,baby elegance are good,oh and they have these great bed sets that have 2 sheets (you can never have enough of them) a cel blanket and a fleece one,but you can buy them on their own too!
    Oh and washing detergent and softner would be great for baby clothes,they recommend you use persil non bio and comfort original,the white liquid with a baby on the front,that would be really useful as she will be doing a lot of washing!

Ill post as i think of things!

Its really a lovely gift,and Ive done it for friends in the past,but i would put totally different stuff in it now that i know myself what is needed,like what Ive mentioned. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I was just looking for muslins, cellular blankets etc for myself - Guineys seem to have great value (99c for muslin)

AND THEY HAVE THESE!!!!

http://michaelguineys.ie/baby-nursery/assorted-breaking-bad-baby-changing-mats.html

ERMERGAHD.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'll echo what others have said about the commercial baby washes.. they only irritate a new baby's skin..

Emollients like Aqueous or Silkocks Base are great for bathing new babies and very cheap to buy.. great for cradle cap also
    Medi swabs for cleaning around the cord stump
    Lots of cotton wool pads, the bigger the better.. cotton balls are useless imo
    Vitamin D drops
    A little nail clipper set
    Infacol drops
    Gripe Water
    A gro-bag
    Paralink Suppositories (I wish I knew about these when my Son was a baby)

Nice idea, you're a good friend :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

xzanti wrote: »
    I'll echo what others have said about the commercial baby washes.. they only irritate a new baby's skin..

Emollients like Aqueous or Silkocks Base are great for bathing new babies and very cheap to buy.. great for cradle cap also
    Medi swabs for cleaning around the cord stump
    Lots of cotton wool pads, the bigger the better.. cotton balls are useless imo
    Vitamin D drops
    A little nail clipper set
    Infacol drops
    Gripe Water
    A gro-bag
    Paralink Suppositories (I wish I knew about these when my Son was a baby)

Nice idea, you're a good friend :)

we never used infacol,gripe water or cotton wool:)
    The nail clipper sets are brilliant.
    Gro bags are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Baby wipes and vaseline were the 2 most used things in our house at the start. Got loads of baby washes and shampoo and we still have the majority of them...1 1/2 years later 😊. The muslin cloths were a godsend and we got loads of different type/sizes nappies. Ur friend is going to be so happy whatever you put into the hamper, we were so grateful for all the presents we got 😊

^^

Oh yeah, lots of vaseline.

• Advertisement

All your replies have been so amazing..There's so much I never even though of.
    I'm hoping to buy a nice basket too..anyone know where I can get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would buy a carry pack of newborn nappies (for the hospital), cotton wool balls, a sponge, a baby hairbrush, Vaseline, nappy bags, a spray baby oil and bibs! Vests are also a great idea as you can never have 2 many we went through 4 in one day recently. My favourite present though was from my friend who has paid for babs to get feet and hand imprints done and framed! Can not wait!

+1 tazwaz.
    Op your friend will be delighted no matter what. It's very thoughtful of you to go to such trouble. I'm finding it interesting to read peoples responses. Some of the things others used or found useful I absolutely wouldn't and vice versa I'm sure! It'll make me more conscious next time I'm buying for someone who's had a baby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

i really appreciated the odd bottle of wine i got from people. none of them drank yet but they will be. i felt someone actually thought of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I also bought my friend pyjamas with a fleecy jacket with a zip. She is finding it handy for breast feeding! But new pjs will always be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

olaola wrote: »
    I was just looking for muslins, cellular blankets etc for myself - Guineys seem to have great value (99c for muslin)

AND THEY HAVE THESE!!!!

http://michaelguineys.ie/baby-nursery/assorted-breaking-bad-baby-changing-mats.html

ERMERGAHD.

Brilliant!! Haha thanks for giving me a good chuckle.. Definitely going to have a look in guineys next time I'm passing now..

All your replies have been so amazing..There's so much I never even though of.
    I'm hoping to buy a nice basket too..anyone know where I can get one?

Ikea, Homestore and More, Woodies all do nice baskets

olaola wrote: »

AND THEY HAVE THESE!!!!

ERMERGAHD.

Best. Thing. Ever. Will go nicely with his Heisenberg vest :D

^^ I don't know what I'm more excited about, the Breaking Bad changing mats, or the fact that Guineys have a website :D

Why did I not know this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

xzanti wrote: »
    ^^ I don't know what I'm more excited about, the Breaking Bad changing mats, or the fact that Guineys have a website :D

Why did I not know this before?

I KNOW! I thought Guineys had closed down?!

Advertisement