Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving English?

Options
  • 08-03-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    6th year student here.
    In my mocks I got a B2 in English but I really need to improve this to an A1. I've always been quite good at the subject but what I've found is that my timing for it is quite bad, so that's one area which needs significant improvement in the next 12 weeks. My weakest paper would probably be 2. But anyway, if anybody can give some advice on how to improve my grade I'd appreciate it big time. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi OP! I think that it's fair to say that 99% of the students prefer p1 over p2.

Few little tips..
    - Try and maximise your marks in p1. This is where you can showcase your skills. Use quality language when answering your questions. Always plan before attempting. Keep practicing. Choose q b before a.

- For p2, keep reading over your notes. Remember for every 10 marks, that's 10 minutes and 1 page e.g. poetry - 50 marks, 50 minutes and 5 pages. Don't put all your eggs in the one basket and think that Heaney or whoever you want will come up - just say to yourself 'would I be able to attempt at least 5 poets if they came up?'. Also make sure that you aren't summarising pieces - any examiner can get a summary off the net etc. but they can't get your opinion.

Best of luck. Make sure your Macbeth quotes are accurate also!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

I disagree with the 10 marks = 1 page. You're given marks based on your purpose, language, clarity and mechanics in poetry, single text etc, not how many pages you have written. But for a guideline, and this is more for comprehensions -> I think 5 marks for every one point you make and develop with quotes and usually that's around 1/4 - 1/3 of a page. So roughly 3.5-4 pages for a poetry answer. Paper 2 is worth 200 marks - you're not going to get 20 pages written, especially if you have a problem with time. All I can suggest is really know your stuff and practice under time constraints...someone probably has much better advice than me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be very clear on the differences between, discuss, compare, contrast, distinguish and other 'question words'.

Advertisement