Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon box bugs - Dialtone, DHCP DNS, DynDNS

Options
  • 08-03-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Anyone else encountered either of these, or confirm they work for them? Any workarounds?

* Dialtone - although after a couple of reboots I can now receive calls, and dial out, I don't get the standard dialtone - instead it sounds like a disconnected line tone, and the phone shows the symbol with a handset and an 'x'. Yet I can still dial out! The handsets are recent BT Graphite ones from the UK, with BS 6312 -> US RJ 11 adaptor. Surely others can't be suffering this. I'm wondering if it's some bizarre thing like an impedance mismatch with the phone.

* DHCP DNS Servers - I've set the "DNS Server1" and "DNS Server2" under the DHCP settings via the web admin interface. The TV interface also lists them under diagnostics, yet all the DHCP client devices are still getting served 192.169.192.1 (i.e. the Horizon box's IP). I've tried lowering the DHCP time to expire the leases, rebooting the device, all to no avail. I've come to the conclusion this feature is just not fully implemented or broken.

* DynDNS or similar - It's a home router, yet it's got no facility for a dynamic IP service?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should be demanding my old Cisco router back...
    Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭PaulPriest

Also, I'm baffled to see that all of the old (free/bundled) on-demand content is not available. Instead we seem to just have one season of Paddington Bear for children (instead of all series of Thomas amongst others), Series 4 of Dexter and some Miami Vice.
    Everything is is PPV.

Do I just need to wait longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

It seems the DNS configuration settings of the box are for show only and are not used.

I had to change the DNS connection settings for each device connected to Horizon which is a real pain

dubrov wrote: »
    I had to change the DNS connection settings for each device connected to Horizon which is a real pain

Sadly that's not an option in my case.
    In the short term until (if) they fix this I'm going to have to run DHCP on a dedicated server/NAS :(

So I've setup DHCP, DynDNS and committed to having my Synology NAS on 100% of the time.
    I've just discovered that even though the "DHCP Server" is "disabled", it's still operational!
    This is beyond ridiculous.

To use this box as an Internet gateway it's looking like I'll have to firewall it off, and use another router for Wi-Fi too.

Is there any mechanism for reporting defects in this product that's likely to get past the helpdesk? Does UPC monitor these forums at all?

Edit: I've restarted the box, and toggled the option a couple of time, and it does now seem to be not be advertising DHCP (monitoring bootp with Wireshark). Still, doesn't inspire confidence...

Advertisement