Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing LG Nexus 5

Options
  • 07-03-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to purchase a Nexus 5 from any three store in Ireland, or do I have to order it online?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Order it in the Carphone Warehouse UK and use Parcel motel to deliver it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Order it in the Carphone Warehouse UK and use Parcel motel to deliver it

You'll likely have bother with CPW not delivering outside main land GB or refusing to deliver to PO boxes/parcel motel.

I'd look at ordering on Amazon UK and picking a fulfilled by Amazon vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I know that you said you were looking for a Nexus 5 from Three but Meteor now have them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭mcw92

I got a perfect condition one with all accessories from Cex in Enniskillen for 274£.
    Good if you have old DVD's or Games you'd like to get rid off/trade in.
    Or CPW up there sell them for 284£.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

If i were you I'd get the galaxy s4 from Amazon for about €390

• Advertisement

Doublelime wrote: »
    If i were you I'd get the galaxy s4 from Amazon for about €390

Nexus 5 is a far superior phone than the Galaxy S4 IMO, not to mention cheaper.

How is it superior besides arguably that it has better software because it's stock android and receives ota updates quickly.

S5: super amoled screen
    Sd card port
    16 mp
    Ir blaster
    Bigger battery
    Samsung software
    More developer support
    Removable battery
    More screen estate because no on screen buttons
    More accessories because it's more popular
    And don't forget the cool factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Well if you're having bother ordering the nexus 5, you should consider the LG G2 which is pretty much the nexus 5 but with better specs and arguably better software.

How is it superior besides arguably that it has better software because it's stock android and receives ota updates quickly.

Sd card port
    16 mp
    Ir blaster
    Bigger battery
    Samsung software
    More developer support
    Removable battery

This being better is open to opinion, The Nexus 5 has much better screen brightness, but is slightly more dull than the S4. Not a plus for the S4 really.

Samsung software
    Bloats the phone, which gives a slower, more sluggish User Experience compared to the Nexus's Stock.

Plenty of accessories for the Nexus 5.

Cool factor is on the Nexus side for me :)

Out of box, the Nexus 5 has much more user storage available.
    With the 16GB models, The S4 has only around 9.2Gb available to users, and Nexus 5 has around 12.5GB.

Also the Nexus 5 has a faster CPU and GPU.

I think for someone who wants the S4 and is willing to pay that price, go for it.

But if you are just going for a high spec android phone, the Nexus 5 is best value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sd card port
    16 mp
    Ir blaster
    Bigger battery
    Samsung software
    More developer support
    Removable battery

I have no idea where you're getting more developer support from.
    SD Card is essential due to excessive bloat ware from Samsung, out of the 16gb only some 8 or 9gb is useable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Sd card port
    16 mp
    Ir blaster
    Bigger battery
    Samsung software
    More developer support
    Removable battery

As an owner of both the N5 is in a different league to the S4, dont overlook software, samsung destroy their own phones with ****ty power hogging bloatware.

projectgtr wrote: »
    As an owner of both the N5 is in a different league to the S4, dont overlook software, samsung destroy their own phones with ****ty power hogging bloatware.

Exactly. I have a nexus 5 ATM and although I haven't used a S4. I have had a nexus 4 and a S3 and the nexus 4 was better in near everyway IMO.
    I'm not a fan of any Samsung devices, terrible software and overpriced for the spec I think.

Give me a nexus or moto g any day.

Have both; Galaxy S4 is no way near as good as the Nexus 5 overall.

Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition is the only way I'd go back.

Also, OP, you can buy from the Google Play UK store if you have a UK Gmail Account and a UK proxy.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have no idea where you're getting more developer support from.
    SD Card is essential due to excessive bloat ware from Samsung, out of the 16gb only some 8 or 9gb is useable.

Rooting and custom roms etc.

Aren't most custom rom's usually done to get Stock Android anyways? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well considering the vast majority of custom roms are designed to give you an experience closer too the stock experience, may as well just cut out the middle man surely.

Also, rooting can be done on a Nexus 5 just as easily, and again, the vast majority of roms are available too.

I'm really not seeing your point here, it's not working out well for you.

If everything I'm saying is wrong you can't disagree with me regarding the 16 mp camera. Pay the €30 more for the the better camera. Also the better CPU and gpu is not noticeable because both are so good. I did a Benchmark on my s4 and my friends n5 and the n5 got like 9k and the s4 got 12k. I don't know if samsung did some fake **** boosting the benchmark somehow because I did this test a couple of months ago before kitkat.

For the money n5
    For being cool I'd get the s4 because everyone knows about samsung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If everything I'm saying is wrong you can't disagree with me regarding the 16 mp camera. Pay the €30 more for the the better camera. Also the better CPU and gpu is not noticeable because both are so good. I did a Benchmark on my s4 and my friends n5 and the n5 got like 9k and the s4 got 12k. I don't know if samsung did some fake **** boosting the benchmark somehow because I did this test a couple of months ago before kitkat.

For the money n5

You might want to Google these three words at the same time:
    Samsung
    Benchmark
    Cheating

For vanilla android and getting the latest updates asap I'd go Nexus every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

For the money n5

It's well known that Samsung have been tweaking to cheat benchmarks. All round my own opinion is that the Nexus is better, it's most definitely faster than stock Touchwiz

I meant to say 13 mp camera. The s5 (s4s) has a 16 mp camera.

• Advertisement

For the money n5

Not sure where your getting it for only 30€ more, but CPW has the Nexus 5 for 279£ whereas the S4 is 329£ on Amazon, so thats 60£ more expensive for the S4 which is about 75euro.

Also as for benchmarks, different benchmarks benchmark different things.
    The CPU and GPU may not be noticeable, but that god awful Touchwiz of Samsungs certainly is.

The S4 feels cheap and plastic too imo, whereas the Nexus has that nice Matte premium feel.

Nexus wins every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

For the money n5

At the end of the day they are both phone cameras and i wouldnt use them as my main camera so that point is lost on me when i use a DSLR. Tbh i notice very little difference any way. I wouldnt pay a cent more for an S4 hell i wouldnt even take an S4 if it was €30 less and you gave me another €30 :P , as for the cpu/gpu the Snapdragon 800 in the N5 is leagues ahead and this is only helped by the stock android, even if it only benches a bit above the ral world differences are staggering, when i got my S4 i found my Galaxy Nexus (a 2011 phone!!) felt just as snappy , thats just what Touchwhiz does to decent processors. Also yeah samsung do cheat on there Benchmarks ;) though i think thats resloved in KK.

If your buying phones to be cool well i guess im having a debate with the wrong person, maybe you should think about and iPhone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

nexus 5 with root and Xposed framework is all you need

Roms are dead, Xposed with modules is the new king

kingtiger wrote: »
    nexus 5 with root and Xposed framework is all you need

Roms are dead, Xposed with modules is the new king

What does Xposed framework allow me to do? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mcw92 wrote: »
    What does Xposed framework allow me to do? :)

http://www.tested.com/tech/android/460074-how-use-xposed-framework-android-extreme-customization/

(I've only just read this myself, sounds pretty cool as I've a Mediatek device and custom ROMs are a minefield).

Advertisement