Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consturction Project marking

Options
  • 07-03-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

What's the story with the marking of the construction projects? I only ask because I just heard somewhere that our teachers mark them themselves? That's a bit stupid isn't it? I made a good effort with mine and I think is deserves an A .. but what if my teacher isn't exactly too fond of me? He could well be biased in marking. Also he gave us his own deadline for everything to be done for and I finished the artefact within that time but not the portfolio. I wasn't worried because I know the deadline is April 11th and I'll have it done by then, be he can't not accept my portfolio now if I hand it up, can he? Since he is the one apparently marking it after all....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The teacher gives a "guide mark" on what they believe the project is worth. But the majority of the time the examiners don't pass any notice of this mark, and mark it themselves on what they believe it's worth. If the teacher sets a deadline, try and stick to it, but I would rather a student take their time and do it properly in their own free time outside class. As long as it's handed up before the 11th it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The teacher gives a "guide mark" on what they believe the project is worth. But the majority of the time the examiners don't pass any notice of this mark, and mark it themselves on what they believe it's worth. If the teacher sets a deadline, try and stick to it, but I would rather a student take their time and do it properly in their own free time outside class. As long as it's handed up before the 11th it will be ok.

Where did you get this out of? Completely incorrect

Your teacher does mark the project by the marking scheme set by the department.

An external examiner then comes in and also marks the project based on the same marking scheme. If the external mark is plus or minus X (say for example 10 marks above or below the teacher) they will go with their own mark. If it is roughly the same they will go with the teachers mark.
    There are certain parts on the marking scheme that in reality only the teacher of the class can assess like safe use of machines and tools. So with those marks the assessor in a way has to go with the teacher.

It doesn't matter if the teacher likes you or not, they have to mark it properly as it is their job. If they try to do someone out of marks because they dont like them and the assessor notices a massive difference they will sometimes be contacted during their summer holidays to sort it out. it is their job to be professional. When I correct my class I dont look at names, obviously I know who has done what but I don't take a blind bit of notice of who has done what. I will mark all the practical piecs first, then the booklets. In general if I were to predict a grade today what someone deserves, and at the end I put together their two marks they will be fairly similar to what I could predict. People get what they deserve simple as that.

The teacher may be asking for them early to have a look over them to give some feedback before the deadline. I know in the past I have had people make a complete mess of hte brief despite my best efforts, however because they only hand it up on the day I can't give it back to them to fix up.

seavill wrote: »
    Where did you get this out of? Completely incorrect

Your teacher does mark the project by the marking scheme set by the department.

An external examiner then comes in and also marks the project based on the same marking scheme. If the external mark is plus or minus X (say for example 10 marks above or below the teacher) they will go with their own mark. If it is roughly the same they will go with the teachers mark.

Sorry if it sounded wrong, but what it was meant to read like was exactly as you said. The teacher gives a mark (from the marking scheme), on what they believe it's worth, the external examiner does the same, and if there's a difference between the two grades, the examiners grade is still the final mark.

I've heard of examiners that skim through the projects and put an odd stamp here and there and go by the mark the teacher gives. The exception rather than the rule, but there's always a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry if it sounded wrong, but what it was meant to read like was exactly as you said. The teacher gives a mark (from the marking scheme), on what they believe it's worth, the external examiner does the same, and if there's a difference between the two grades, the examiners grade is still the final mark.

I've heard of examiners that skim through the projects and put an odd stamp here and there and go by the mark the teacher gives. The exception rather than the rule, but there's always a few!

Again how could you know this. The examiner is on their own marking the projects. Students and teachers are not present.

What seavill said is accurate. it's much the same for ag science except a number of students are chosen at random for an oral interview by the external examiner.

Well I suppose it's speculation for the most part more than anything. But I've spoken to an examiner (someone in my family) who said that they go by whatever mark the teacher gives. I was shocked and it's highly unprofessional and I'd hope it doesn't happen often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well I suppose it's speculation for the most part more than anything. But I've spoken to an examiner (someone in my family) who said that they go by whatever mark the teacher gives. I was shocked and it's highly unprofessional and I'd hope it doesn't happen often.

Therefore you shouldn't be posting here as if it is fact. your relation is unprofessional if that is what he/she is doing. It doesn't mean everyone else is.

Therefore you shouldn't be posting here as if it is fact. your relation is unprofessional if that is what he/she is doing. It doesn't mean everyone else is.

I never said or implied that everyone is unprofessional, I clearly stated that it is the exception rather than the rule. Everyone knows that there are a select minority of people in every sector that are unprofessional in their jobs and sadly teaching is no different!

I think you're just trying to dig your way back out album in fact making it worse.
    Your relation could have meant what I said initially that they go in to correct but in the majority of cases there is v little difference in the two grades so they go with the teacher as they are supposed to bin fairness the teacher has been present for it all so has a better idea of what you deserve.

Think we would leave it at the glad act of how things are supposed to work.

Class teacher grades each project impartially based on the SEC marking scheme.

External assessor then corrects each project using same marking scheme.

If there is a massive discrepancy in grades they will investigate further or go with their grades.
    If the grades are similar they will generally go with the teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

seavill wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if the teacher likes you or not, they have to mark it properly as it is their job. If they try to do someone out of marks because they dont like them and the assessor notices a massive difference they will sometimes be contacted during their summer holidays to sort it out. it is their job to be professional. When I correct my class I dont look at names, obviously I know who has done what but I don't take a blind bit of notice of who has done what. I will mark all the practical piecs first, then the booklets. In general if I were to predict a grade today what someone deserves, and at the end I put together their two marks they will be fairly similar to what I could predict. People get what they deserve simple as that.

The teacher may be asking for them early to have a look over them to give some feedback before the deadline. I know in the past I have had people make a complete mess of hte brief despite my best efforts, however because they only hand it up on the day I can't give it back to them to fix up.

So what about my situation? Where my teacher is 100% adament on the Xmas holidays being the deadline. I'm yet to finish my folio so I don't know if he will accept it. He's quite stubborn so I get the feeling he'll tell me he won't except it now since it's too late i.e. I think he has marked the projects already. I'm pretty sure he has to take it up regardless, doesn't he? Like I should go to the principal if he doesn't or something. I'm just worried that my delay in handing up the folio will give him a biased view towards my project and mark it accordingly. I think the system is a bit stupid in that regard.

FatRat wrote: »
    So what about my situation? Where my teacher is 100% adament on the Xmas holidays being the deadline. I'm yet to finish my folio so I don't know if he will accept it. He's quite stubborn so I get the feeling he'll tell me he won't except it now since it's too late i.e. I think he has marked the projects already. I'm pretty sure he has to take it up regardless, doesn't he? Like I should go to the principal if he doesn't or something. I'm just worried that my delay in handing up the folio will give him a biased view towards my project and mark it accordingly. I think the system is a bit stupid in that regard.

As I said most likely he was trying to get it done early to help you out initially, as there is so much going on this time of year, Engineering brief, geography projects, orals, practicals etc. etc. etc.

When you have it finished attempt to hand it up to him, before 11th April (politely)
    If he refuses approach either the guidance counselor or the year head and explain the situation.
    If he still refuses get your parents to approach the principal.

Your project is not officially due until the day you sign the form, which is not out yet. On this form the teacher signs if you have handed up your brief and project or not.

He cannot grade your projects until all the documents arrive from the SEC, after Easter I suspect. There are the marking schemes which are a duplicate form that copies onto a second page. He cannot mark your project without these sheets, unless he has some old ones lying around which based on my experience is highly unlikely as they usually don't give many spares each year.
    I don't know of any teacher that grades the Construction Studies projects this time of year (not to say it doesn't happen I just have not met one that does)

As discussed already he has to be impartial when marking your project. If you feel he will do you out of marks the external assessor marks your brief also, so 1. its not worth the teachers time or effort docking people for the sake if it, 2. he has to act professionally, 3. despite what students think and despite how harsh some teachers come across they actually only want the best for their students and want them to get the highest marks possible.
    So even if he does do you out of marks because you annoyed him someone else will correct it and if he was wrong they will fix it, if he was right that your brief was poor the examiner will agree also.
    Its more hassle to mark someone bad just because you want ot rather than actually do it properly in the first place.

Just do your brief and hand it up without making a big deal of it. I would work on the presumption knowing the student I have had over the years, that you are not the only one in the class without it done.
    I as asked by a principal to accept a brief the Monday after the Friday deadline 2 years ago. I refused as to me this was cheating. That is a different case if you get it in on time. If you don't it will be your own fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement