Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S@it mock results and I don't think I'll turn it around

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I have got 3 mock results back so far and I don't think I can get them up.

58 in Ordinary history
    54 in ordinary English
    34 in higher biology

I don't think I have time to or will be able to increase this I just don't know what I'll do. I'm a stage now where I'm seriously panicing and worried I won't get 200 points for my course.

It should be simple to got such a miniscual amount of points but I'm not sure if i will.
    I'm worrying about all my results and am at a loss at what to do.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

First things first - speak to the teachers of each subject to see where THEY think you can turn this around. They can help you identify the areas that you need to work on, and may even be able to recommend grinds at the weekend if they feel you need them. As long as you're willing to put in a bit of work, I wouldn't stress so much - you should be able to make up the points and then some.

That's the whole point of the mocks - to find your weaknesses so that you know what to work on for the real thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP you have enough time between now and June to improve your results. That's what the mocks were for, to prepare you for the actual exam.

Have you approached your teachers yet to have a chat with them about your results? Is there any chance you could pair up with the person in your class who is stronger in the subjects you're weaker on? Maybe you could organise some group study and help each other out?

You have numerous options open to you OP, don't let panic or anxiety cloud your thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Panic is your enemy.

You have time still to get the marks you need.

Talk to teachers and get their opinion.
    Work hard and study hard.
    Keep the higher level subjects - even a low grade is higher than most points on an ordinary level paper.

It's a cliche at this stage but it's true - keep calm and carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

It's been a few years now but...i failed all my mocks except one...got over 550 points in actual exams. I don't want to promote complacency but mock results are rarely a reflection of the actual exams. Relax and continue to work at steady pace with plenty of breaks. Try not to panic - you can only try your best at the end of the day so go easy on yourself. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,384 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Study and speak to your teachers.
    There not awful results.
    Most people I know found the pres harder than the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

First of all, as mentioned already, those results aren't as bad as you think. Secondly, mocks are just that, a mock exam. They are really to get you used to what it might be like sitting the exams, the format of the paper, timing, etc. At the time you sat them, you probably hadn't finished the syllabus for every subject, so there's no way you could reach your full potential in the mocks. Moreover, you'll also find that the mocks can be a lot harder than the actual exam as often the questions are poorly phrased or take an unusual focus due to the fact they don't go through the same rigorous process as the actual LC questions.

There is plenty of time between now and the exams for you to improve on your grades and get the points for the course you want to do next year. First of all, meet the teachers of the subjects you're concerned about and ask their advice, and see what they recommend as a course of action. Secondly, study. Different techniques work for different people, but I would recommend using past papers. See what questions come up, study a topic and see if you can answer the questions that came up before. If you can't answer all of them, don't worry. Just revise what you didn't know, and see how you do the second or third time.

It's most important not to panic and not to worry about how much you haven't done - take this as day one and move on. There are lots of days between now and your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

First step is sit back relax and chill out next step is start studying you have plenty of time between now and then to get your head down and improve, me and the majority of friends did not do well in our mocks (not even close to doing well) now we have either graduated or are applying for masters. Don't let panic consume you and best of luck we've all been there before you and there'll always be people there after you, your not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Moved at request of OP.
    For anyone who followed this thread please ensure you read the charter here before posting.

Thanks
    Taltos

Advertisement