Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Fine

Options
  • 07-03-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for some advice on a fine I received on the Heuston-Cork line last night. On February 27th I purchased a monthly return ticket at the desk in Heuston. However I still had a return journey left on another ticket which I had overlooked, so instead of using the newly purchased ticket I used the return journey left in the old one. Last night going through Heuston I then used the ticket purchased a week ago, and when I showed that ticket to the inspector he claimed that because I was using the outward journey a week later that I should receive a fine. I looked through the bye-laws and couldn't find anything along the lines of what he said. Anyone ever have a similar experience or could anyone inform me if I broke some CIE law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

On the Heuston - Cork trip last night, was the ticket you showed to the inspector valid for last night and in that direction?

This link suggests that you must travel outwards on the date the ticket is issued and do the return journey within the specified period ie a month.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/tickets-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Colin2me

Yes- ticket was still in date (28 Feb-27 March) and it was bought for the heuston-mallow direction, plus it went through ticket validating machine in heuston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I believe you have to use the outward journey on the day of purchase.

Ah I see. Harsh receiving a fine seeing as I had basically prepaid for the trip, thanks anyway

well, explain to them and they may let you off...worth a shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Outward trip must be taken on the date of issue on the ticket.

Ticket was not valid for travel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Did you get fined on the train or at the barrier?

The point I was trying to make to the inspector was that surely the point of a monthly return is it can be used anytime within the dates.. I'll appeal but won't hold out for much. Got fined on the train

I think why they do it like that is to avoid the ticket being fraudulently used twice if it isn't checked for some reason.

Ya I can see where they are coming from, however surely the fact that it wasn't stamped and was accepted by the ticket validating machine should be proof enough, after all isn't that what they're for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Colin2me wrote: »
    The point I was trying to make to the inspector was that surely the point of a monthly return is it can be used anytime within the dates.. I'll appeal but won't hold out for much. Got fined on the train

With an open return you have to travel on the date shown on the ticket and you have up to a month to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Colin2me wrote: »

The point you were trying to make to the inspector is incorrect. It's up to you to inform yourself of the T&Cs, but a fine does seem a bit harsh. I presume the inspector has heard every excuse going.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/tickets-explained
    Open Return
    Who is eligible for this ticket?

Adults
    Children
    Students
    What are the conditions of travel?
    Valid for one outward journey on the date shown on the ticket for the outward journey and for one return journey in the opposite direction only within the period of validity shown on the ticket.
    Save up to 18% on single tickets in the short hop zone using a leap smartcard.

Where can I buy this ticket?

Online: No
    Ticket Machines: Yes
    Ticket Offices: Yes

Advertisement