Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock results

Options
  • 06-03-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

In a nutshell I have not started study yet and failed 4 of my mocks
    Ordinary Maths
    Ordinary Irish
    Higher Bio (I was four marks away from getting a pass)
    And Higher Ag science.

All the other subects I done I did get c's in so basically I'm asking am I boned since I only have three months left and haven't started studying yet? is there still time for me to start?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Badwulf wrote: »
    In a nutshell I have not started study yet and failed 4 of my mocks
    Ordinary Maths
    Ordinary Irish
    Higher Bio (I was four marks away from getting a pass)
    And Higher Ag science.

All the other subects I done I did get c's in so basically I'm asking am I boned since I only have three months left and haven't started studying yet? is there still time for me to start?

If you work your butt off you can still do well. If grinds are an option get them in maths... You can't get into a lot of courses without it. I would recommend buying all the less stress more success books and learning them off for maths and Irish. There is an essentials unfolded book for biology which you can learn off and Learn your experiments. These don't contain all the info necessary to get a1s but you will pass with them. Between now and the orals focus on orals and the subjects you failed. Work on your Irish oral you could earn the majority of your marks here.

In terms of study, spend the weekend cleaning your study area and sorting out folders. One folder per subject and a seperately folder for orals. Buy flash cards highlighters poly pockets etc... Print out a 12 week plan on Microsoft word. Divide your subjects into days I.e week 1= ecology and sci method. Week 2=classification and food. Do an experiment a week. Dedicate one sheet to each subject and write down what exactly you need to have covered(check syllabi online) when you cover a topic in biology, do every exam paper, some are repetitive there are only so many they can ask.

Finally, how to study depends on you. Personally, I learn by writing and saying things aloud three times. I then test myself at the end by seeing if I can write it down. If so, I highlight the topic on my sheet in a pink colour(pink=I know it well) and green=know a little, yellow=know nothing) there are flash cards around my room of definitions and stuff which eventually I learn off by just seeing them while walking around. Print off the leaving cert timetable and the college course page you want and stick it on your wall.

There is still time. Let's say you started studying at 9am on Easter holidays and finished at 9pm. 10 hours a day for 12 days=120 hours, let's say you study a topic an hour; that's 120 topics.

That workload may seem crazy but it depends on your course. If you need 500 points then by all means this is your last chance.

Start Monday. Otherwise you'll have to repeat like me, and spend the next year of your life hoping nobody has to repeat again. :p hah good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

10 hours study a day? all i need is around 300 points haha

10 hours study a day? all i need is around 300 points haha

Hence why i said "That workload may seem crazy but it depends on your course. If you need 500 points then by all means this is your last chance."

300 points may be difficult for you to get too, I don't know you. Some people who study 10 hours a day come out with 300, others come out with 500. It depends. I was just highlighting that it is possible to do well and that there is still time.

So there is still time for me to buckle down and study and get the points I need? I'm not screwed like?

So there is still time for me to buckle down and study and get the points I need? I'm not screwed like?

No, as long as you actually work and not spend your evenings in front of the tv. Go to school and focus on passing.

(I never get why people ask if it is too late... what if i said yes would you just not study?...motivate yourself and you will succeed :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

300 points is the average mark in the LC.
    It's entirely possible. The attitude of 'I only need 300' is less likely to end in achieving 300 than 'I want to get 350-400' will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭gammy_knees

And get off Boards.ie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Are your other subjects pass or honours?

Doing higher everything except for maths and irish (Might go Ordinary Ag or bio, not sure yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

So you got C's on three honours papers? That's good but you're going to need to study. It's not about studying 10 hours it's just about finding out what best suits you. I didn't really study till this year either. You have three months so just start today/tomorrow study something you already like. Then you'll be in the mood so study something new ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement