Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Talks 98FM- Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon

Options
  • 06-03-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

So tonight's a teaser show for their new show starting on 98FM next week.
    Daily show 10am - 12pm

Call them - 01-6797981
    Text them 53981

Good start to the show so far....

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Much much better than 104 at the moment.

Practically the same as their old 104 show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Call them - 01-6797981

Was that actually their number?... Very clever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Prob gonna be on live at night too

Bard wrote: »
    Was that actually their number?... Very clever ;)

Yeah it was a good one alright . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Missed it myself, but the podcast is up, so I'm looking forward to checking that out.

• Advertisement

297498.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Adrian was talking with ray foley this morning for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

That's quite smart... good move to have them on at night as well intially, get the audience interested, problem is will that audience follow them to the morning time, or would 104 just trump them already having the established show.

soc160 wrote: »
    That's quite smart... good move to have them on at night as well intially, get the audience interested, problem is will that audience follow them to the morning time, or would 104 just trump them already having the established show.
    It'll be an interesting one, they have their huge Facebook and twitter following so it's not like they'll have no listeners.
    I'd say give it a few weeks /months and see how the listenership is going. I'm genuinely interested as to how they get on, best of luck to them at the end of they day- they know what they're doing and they do it well .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Heard 10 minutes midway through last night and turned off. Did I not read they were moving because they were fed up doing nighttime shifts? That worked out well for them it seems. Just noticed above that they are using a similar phone number to the one they used on 104. Did they really think that one through all the way as surely that's going to cause confusion for the callers and possibly the dumbest idea I ever heard.

Best of luck to them but it won't live up to the hype and whatever about the possibility of them gaining one or two thousand extra at night, they can only be of benefit to 104 in the mornings, with music listeners at work switching off in their thousands to get away from talk.

I would imagine that Barry Dunne is an alternative to Darcy on Today, 2FM and Newstalk during the mid-morning slot as he would have built up a loyal following of listeners in work, shops, offices and business who wouldn't dream of having a Jeramy Kyle style talk show on for its customers and staff. What's happening to Dunne now? Is he gone?

Adrian Kennedy had a great night time following on 104 and he is good at what he does and mastered it throughout the years but this move was a big risk and I hope it pays off for him but I have my doubts.

I know his sidekick Jeremy is on at night with him but will he risk having him on during the day with him as this could be a major turn off for a reasonably conservative and possibly more intelligent daytime audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Heard 10 minutes midway through last night and turned off. Did I not read they were moving because they were fed up doing nighttime shifts? That worked out well for them it seems.

I would imagine that Barry Dunne is an alternative to Darcy on Today, 2FM and Newstalk during the mid-morning slot as he would have built up a loyal following of listeners in work, shops, offices and business who wouldn't dream of having a Jeramy Kyle style talk show on for its customers and staff. What's happening to Dunne now? Is he gone?

You obviously aren't a fan of his..your very opinionated for someone who listened to 10 mins. I think your being overly pessimistic, although I agree success is far from guaranteed.

He is only doing the double shift for a while. After a while the night time shift will be a repeat of the daytime show.

Barry Dunne's figures are dismal. The most popular radio show in the country is a daytime phone in show (Joe Duffy). I think there is definitely a market for a dublin version of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

elmoslats wrote: »
    You obviously aren't a fan of his..your very opinionated for someone who listened to 10 mins. I think your being overly pessimistic, although I agree success is far from guaranteed.

He is only doing the double shift for a while. After a while the night time shift will be a repeat of the daytime show.

Barry Dunne's figures are dismal. The most popular radio show in the country is a daytime phone in show (Joe Duffy). I think there is definitely a market for a dublin version of that.

I'm neither a fan or critic but I am entitled to an opinion. I assume that is why this is called a forum, is it not?

I never suggested Barry Dunne was more popular than Joe Duffy or any of the others. Also looking at 98FMs figures for that time of the day, I think you are misusing the word "dismal". Barry has no doubt suffered with the stations losses as a whole but it can be seen clearly that he has been the least effected by the the downturn in 98FMs performance and in fact he was one of the only presenters on the station to increase figures recently on the station, which makes the change even more questionable.

Clearly they are all talk based and Barry Dunne and Andy Preston (fm104) are clearly music shows with very short tight links. As for the market for talk at 10am, yes you are right but it's already saturated and music becoming a rare commodity on music radio stations. When I'm listening to radio at 10am I'm usually busy and don't have the concentration levels to invest in a talk show as as many people don't at that time, hence I will listen to music.

I'll be honest I am not an Irish radio fan and much prefer to throw on my iPod instead but this move will discourage me even further, as it will many of the die hard 98fm fans. 98FM have moved their position in the radio market from what was once known as "Dublins best music mix" to "Anything but Dublins Best Music Mix". FM104,Q102 and spin can only stand to gain from this repositioning in the market.

I'm not doubting Adrian Kennedy's ability but many including myself are not a fan of the ,referee amongst the arguing callers style of radio. If I have the time to invest in talk radio I prefer it to be a tad more grown up. The referee style is better suited at night when the audience is dedicated to listening intently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Listening to kennedys recent interview he seems to have fallen out with FM104 since UTV took it over.

https://soundcloud.com/radiotoday/adrian-kennedy-chats-to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I'll be honest I am not an Irish radio fan and much prefer to throw on my iPod instead but this move will discourage me even further, as it will many of the die hard 98fm fans. 98FM have moved their position in the radio market from what was once known as "Dublins best music mix" to "Anything but Dublins Best Music Mix". FM104,Q102 and spin can only stand to gain from this repositioning in the market.

I'm not doubting Adrian Kennedy's ability but many including myself are not a fan of the ,referee amongst the arguing callers style of radio. If I have the time to invest in talk radio I prefer it to be a tad more grown up. The referee style is better suited at night when the audience is dedicated to listening intently.

I don't think 98 or any station really has diehard fans, especially with access to mp3's these days. 98 does have the best mix, as in they have the biggest variety, if you took 4 hours from their playlist and compared it to other stations youd see much more of a mix, whether you like the music or not is a different point. I cant see any of the other stations growing their audience in response to that. 98 will add a few thousand, new demographic. The thing about this move is that it's something you have to listen to live, it's not just music on repeat. I take the point that people will probably be listening to it more intently at night so it will be different having it during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

The podcast is here http://www.98fm.com/player/podcasts/Dublin_Talks/Dublin_Talks/14294/1/thursday_7th_march__chest

Does anyone know how to get the podcast feed URL that I would add to my podcast app?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm listening to the podcast now, it's great laugh. It's great to have the lads back. The caller from the dark ages is hillarious, ban kids from facebook until they're 18, good luck with that!

He would also ban iphones from his house!

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm listening to the podcast now, it's great laugh. It's great to have the lads back. The caller from the dark ages is hillarious, ban kids from facebook until they're 18, good luck with that!

I heard that I was in a weakness. I suppose he expects his kids to send him smoke signals when they want to be collected :P

`

Some light music to keep y'all enteretained while reading this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Loughc wrote: »

Hes most likely a plant to get listeners wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I’ve had enough and switched the radio here in the office over to fm104. I gave it a couple of days but between phones ringing, printers/scanners going, I can’t even here what they’re talking about – all I hear is bunch of skangers, most of whom are probably sitting at home, talking shite about something or other.

IMO, it just doesn’t work during the day. I used to enjoy putting the Adrian Kennedy show on at night if I was driving, but it kills the daytime/at work atmosphere they had before. Shame, because I much prefer 98fm’s music, as there’s a much better mix for everyone. Also I love Ray Foley and Dermot & Dave, but couldn't be bothered switching the radio back and forth between stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is good to have Adrian & Jeremy back on radio again this morning even though I liked listening to them at night.

I found there was a good discussion going on about the 40 bus being vandalised in Neilstown last night (even though I didn't hear all of it).
    Adrian has uploaded photos of the damaged windows of the bus on the Dublin Talks website here. I also found out that it's on their facebook page.

http://www.98fm.com/Dublin-Bus-Route-40-Attacked-

I've listened to impressions of Family Guy from the guys and a woman named Shona just a few minutes ago. Very funny guys. Well done.

Advertisement