Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Advice] should i repeat 5th year

Options
  • 06-03-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Ok so I'm 15 in 5th year I skipped to because my parents thought it was waste of time I regret not listening as much in class and not studying I did a little homework but now I'm worried because I want to do a course in nui maynooth which is 360 points and I'm required to have b3 in maths so now I'm stuck i want to repeat because I've got adive from friends that it would benefit me I'm doing so bad in class I'm failing a lot of my subject I do history higher - English H- irish O- economics H- french H - biology H - maths O- I just don't know what to do to repeat or do 6th year and how do I break the news to my parents in don't know what to do giving myself headaches thinking about 6th year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Few questions...

1. What month will you be 16 in?
    2. How did you get on (generally) in the junior cert?
    3. Is it a higher or ord. b3 in maths?
    4. When you say you are failing in class, what exactly do you mean i.e. are you not putting in the effort, do you find the work challenging, are you listening in class, poor teachers etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Show your parents your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ChrisRockk wrote: »
    Ok so I'm 15 in 5th year I skipped to because my parents thought it was waste of time I regret not listening as much in class and not studying I did a little homework but now I'm worried because I want to do a course in nui maynooth which is 360 points and I'm required to have b3 in maths so now I'm stuck i want to repeat because I've got adive from friends that it would benefit me I'm doing so bad in class I'm failing a lot of my subject I do history higher - English H- irish O- economics H- french H - biology H - maths O- I just don't know what to do to repeat or do 6th year and how do I break the news to my parents in don't know what to do giving myself headaches thinking about 6th year.
    d1234 wrote: »
    Few questions...

4. When you say you are failing in class, what exactly do you mean i.e. are you not putting in the effort, do you find the work challenging, are you listening in class, poor teachers etc.

Did you even read the OP??

OP, if you are falling behind now, but are able for the work, start studying. Do the homework every night. Start listening in class and ask questions when you don't understand. Maybe at the weekend, and over the summer go back on what you didn't work at earlier on this year.

If you feel the need to repeat, wait until the end of this school year and see how you fair out. If you want advice on it, talk to your parents and your teachers. Your friends are in no position to advise you on this. Also you will need to consider the subject choice on offer. In some schools the subject blocks change from year to year. You may not be able to get the same combination of subjects next year. On the other hand, repeating fifth year might allow you to make a different choice if you wanted to. Put in your best effort for the last 3 months this year and consider your options in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChrisRockk

d1234 wrote: »
    Few questions...

I. I'm 16 may 20

2.i got like c in ordinary maths c ordinary in English ordinary andd d in ordinary irish rest I got cs and ds

3. Ordinary level b3 other requirements are just did

4. I didn't try to my full extent I was slacking of thinking it would be ok I though I would just catch up right now I'm trying to get so much done but I'm finish in 2 months.

OP, if you are falling behind now, but are able for the work, start studying. Do the homework every night. Start listening in class and ask questions when you don't understand. Maybe at the weekend, and over the summer go back on what you didn't work at earlier on this year.

If you feel the need to repeat, wait until the end of this school year and see how you fair out. If you want advice on it, talk to your parents and your teachers. Your friends are in no position to advise you on this. Also you will need to consider the subject choice on offer. In some schools the subject blocks change from year to year. You may not be able to get the same combination of subjects next year. On the other hand, repeating fifth year might allow you to make a different choice if you wanted to. Put in your best effort for the last 3 months this year and consider your options in the meantime.

When I'm in class I just can't push myself to listen and do it I get motivated but when it comes down to the hard work I juse fall back and not listen this is definitely a huge part in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Jesus I couldn't imagine being 15 in fifth year. I was 16 doing the JC and am now repeating the LC which means I will be 20 by the time I enter college :eek:. I didn't do a tap in fifth year and looking back I would have preferred to have repeated 5th year instead of now repeating 6th year.

In saying that I was going for 560 in 6th year and with one year of work achieved 480. I definitely think 360 is do-able in one and a half year's of work. Start listening in class and doing homework. Put in a massive effort for class tests and after the summer exams, re-assess your position.

As for approaching your parents, maybe arrange a meeting with the guidance counsellor/principal and you and your parents. Both you and your parents will be a lot more informed about the situation then.

When I'm in class I just can't push myself to listen and do it I get motivated but when it comes down to the hard work I juse fall back and not listen this is definitely a huge part in this

If you choose to repeat 5th year (and the school are not obliged to let you) are you going to change. Currently your teachers possibly see you as someone who hasn't done a tap all year going by your description, they may not think it worth your while repeating 5th year and doing the same all over again.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Jesus I couldn't imagine being 15 in fifth year. I was 16 doing the JC and am now repeating the LC which means I will be 20 by the time I enter college :eek:. I didn't do a tap in fifth year and looking back I would have preferred to have repeated 5th year instead of now repeating 6th year.

In saying that I was going for 560 in 6th year and with one year of work achieved 480. I definitely think 360 is do-able in one and a half year's of work. Start listening in class and doing homework. Put in a massive effort for class tests and after the summer exams, re-assess your position.

As for approaching your parents, maybe arrange a meeting with the guidance counsellor/principal and you and your parents. Both you and your parents will be a lot more informed about the situation then.

Most students are 15 and only turning 16 in 5th year. Only a very small minority of students would be 16 doing the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Most students are 15 and only turning 16 in 5th year. Only a very small minority of students would be 16 doing the Junior Cert.

Would it not be 16 turning 17 in fifth year? I know I am in the minority though. I was 16 the week before the JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Sorry I'm trying to help here and for your information, the post says a b3 in maths and there may be other possible factors towards this problem.

OP, listen firstly well done for taking the initiative towards looking at the problem and trying to correct it.

360 points nowadays is fairly manageable if you put the work in. That's roughly a c2 in each subject at higher level.

Firstly, I would advise you to keep going with fifth year and sixth year. As another poster in a previous thread said wouldn't it would be very difficult to repeat both fifth and sixth year, if you had to?

I would also suggest keeping up as many higher subjects as possible. For instance the c2 would then become an a1 at OL which is much more challenging to achieve.

It's never to late to start. Get yourself the exam papers and work your way through them. Listen as much as you can in class. If you feel that others may be disturbing you, discretely move away from them.

Finally work out a strategy. Are there any ways you can increase your points? Can you take up any subjects outside school which you could do well in?

Best of luck and you do have ample time left and if you use it wisely, you can definitely achieve what you want.

• Advertisement

Yeah i mean of course i dead serious about my education but ye in the past i was abit of a messer and alot of teachers know that but im really serious about what im doing being in 5th year with new people i have matured about school and life don't distrupt as much as i did before detentions nearly everyday back then(back then i mean 2nd year 3rdish year) Just want to focus on my work more because i neglected it at the start of this year

thelad95 wrote: »
    Would it not be 16 turning 17 in fifth year? I know I am in the minority though. I was 16 the week before the JC.

No, most of my Leaving Certs are 17 and plenty even at this late stage in the year are still 16 about to turn 17. If a school has TY then it would be more common for students to turn 18 in Leaving Cert. The only students in my LC classes that are 18 are repeat students.

Yeah i mean of course i dead serious about my education but ye in the past i was abit of a messer and alot of teachers know that but im really serious about what im doing being in 5th year with new people i have matured about school and life don't distrupt as much as i did before detentions nearly everyday back then(back then i mean 2nd year 3rdish year) Just want to focus on my work more because i neglected it at the start of this year

This is something that you need to change for good. If you are still messing in class which is what your post implies, the school is not going to take you seriously about repeating, particularly if you were disruptive throughout second and third year. Not only are you not learning in class but you are preventing other students from doing so. To be honest if you don't put your money where your mouth is and show your teachers you are serious, by behaving in class and doing the work asked of you, your request to repeat if it comes to it won't be taken seriously. Nobody wants someone in their class who has messed their way through the last 3 years of school, doing more of the same for an extra year.

The fact that you realise all this about yourself is a good thing. But only you can make the change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is the sort of attitude change you could have had in TY. Many people do. I still think you should let your parents know your thoughts.

Advertisement