Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key topics for French oral

Options
  • 06-03-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I searched for a thread like this mods but all of them were pretty old and I didn't want to be dragging up old threads!

anyways, I'm a bit worried about my oral. I'm good at french but I'm not sure if I have enough key topics prepared.

I have:
    • myself, personality
    • family
    • area
    • friends
    • school, what i want to do after school, what I'd do if i was principal, what I think of L.C
    • favourite hobbies
    • summer holidays
    and I have a document as well but I really don't want to do it, I think it's a lot of extra work to learn. What other topics do you guys think I should know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

a0ifee wrote: »
    I searched for a thread like this mods but all of them were pretty old and I didn't want to be dragging up old threads!

anyways, I'm a bit worried about my oral. I'm good at french but I'm not sure if I have enough key topics prepared.

I have:
    • myself, personality
    • family
    • area
    • friends
    • school, what i want to do after school, what I'd do if i was principal, what I think of L.C
    • favourite hobbies
    • summer holidays
    and I have a document as well but I really don't want to do it, I think it's a lot of extra work to learn. What other topics do you guys think I should know?

Thank god I don't do French anymore but this is my advice from last year:
    I think the Document is over-rated. Unless you have been working on it since the start of fifth year and know every single possible aspect of it inside out, I would leave it out. Last year my oral was going brilliantly until it came to the Document. What I would work on between here and the oral is learning loads of conversation fillers using idiomatic French. Also, try thinking of interesting responses to standard questions. For example, if they ask you your past-times don't just say I like going to the cinema or reading. I had a lovely response last year where I defined what a pastime was in my opinion and then went into a big description of my favourite pastime- rock climbing (which I had never done before :eek: :p ). I saw an article on it once and there was loads of beatiful phrases in it which I used.

In addition, work on your pronunciation and for the 15 minutes you are in there speak in your stupidest French accent, like really go for it. But most of all just relax and be yourself (or your rock-climbing alter ego :pac: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

thelad95 wrote: »
    Thank god I don't do French anymore but this is my advice from last year:
    I think the Document is over-rated. Unless you have been working on it since the start of fifth year and know every single possible aspect of it inside out, I would leave it out. Last year my oral was going brilliantly until it came to the Document. What I would work on between here and the oral is learning loads of conversation fillers using idiomatic French. Also, try thinking of interesting responses to standard questions. For example, if they ask you your past-times don't just say I like going to the cinema or reading. I had a lovely response last year where I defined what a pastime was in my opinion and then went into a big description of my favourite pastime- rock climbing (which I had never done before :eek: :p ). I saw an article on it once and there was loads of beatiful phrases in it which I used.

In addition, work on your pronunciation and for the 15 minutes you are in there speak in your stupidest French accent, like really go for it. But most of all just relax and be yourself (or your rock-climbing alter ego :pac: ).

thanks for your reply :)
    what kind of things were you asked can you remember?

yeah I really don't want to do a document but my teacher is insisting on it, even though we haven't done any work on it whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

thanks for your reply :)
    what kind of things were you asked can you remember?

yeah I really don't want to do a document but my teacher is insisting on it, even though we haven't done any work on it whatsoever!

They will always start off with something incredibly basic and after that if you're clever about it, you can direct the conversation. I think the first question was tell me about yourself and after that it was past-times and then my family, then onto the document. There is no definite pattern tough, every oral is different.

It is the quickest 15 minutes of your life. It feels more like 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Microphone Head

What is the document, is it optional? My teacher has never mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

What is the document, is it optional? My teacher has never mentioned it

yeah it's optional! basically you bring in a picture of something (say a photo on you on holidays) and you have to talk about like for that example you'd say where you are, what you did etc. and the examiner asks you questions about it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Do you think so? You'd learn it if you spent 20 minutes on it every night in bed for a week I say - assuming you completely understand what you have written (seriously don't learn stuff off without knowing what it means, I can vouch for this from my Irish experience :o).

Every little extra bit of oral notes help, try and do them in bullet point form, as it'll be easier to slot them in to the actual conversation :) There is no need to lie, but feel free to embellish your circumstances as you see fit :D

As for topics, it's crucial to realise the convergence between the written paper and oral when it comes to abstract topics. Prepare good notes for alcohol, the economy, drugs, and so on, as these can be applied to your written paper too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

My teacher is insistent too because one of our books says students generally do better with one, but my grinds teacher isn't too pushed about them.

I won't be bringing a document in purely because if i get something asked i didn't prepare on it, I'm afraid it'll throw me mentally. Just seems more natural and relaxed to me to go in without one.

Advertisement