Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTT Bankroll Management Challenge Log 2014

Options
  • 06-03-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Just put €200 in my paypal, solely to use as my bankroll for playing poker.

Probably wont play a game til the weekend. So I am going to establish the rules for now.

1. Only allowed enter tournies which cost max 5% of my bankroll and min
    2.5%. So @200€; max €10/min€5. This will ideally just leave me playing $10 tournies.

2. Only MTTs - planning on playing on pokerstars, partypoker, ipoker (likely to play just pokerstars but sometimes the others have good tournies.

3. Max. Four tournies in any one sitting. And no beginning a tournie after goin deep in a previous one. So no new tournies after 4 hours play for example.

4. I must post results and brief observations on this thread, in order to a motivate myself to remain within the rules and if anyone has advice etc.

Shuffle up and deal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

1st session.

Pokerstars:

Entered 3 $11 tournies and 1 $8.
    Ran deep in $8 49th out of roughly 2,500. $21 payout.
    Played horrible at start of session but sat tight on $8 for first few levels then opened up as i got bigger on table, was top ten coming up to bubble. Then lost a few hands where i was big dog calling all ins only losing. AK v A9 9 hitting type stuff. Then lost half my stack to riverd flush and a bad call by me with a paired A, easy laydown not taken. After that was in fold/all in until 50 left and got beat fair.

Not goin to go into too much detail cause tournies i was down roughly $10.

Already cracked though and played around 12 7$ heads up after running deep. won 10 of them so up 50 odd quid on the night. BUT thats only gambling and another night i lose my what i deposited.

Next session, more organised and better log writing.

Session 2: Sunday 09th March

Sunday Storm $11: Played it aggressive built up a good stack and then called off 20% of my stack at a a time to all ins, when i was small dog guaranteed.
    I raised most of time with 3BBs weakest hand was 10/6 suited but i was captain of table and on cut off, i had 100BB and guy shoves for 15BB. While i believe i should have folded 10/6 s what would peoples range be for these kind of calls and how many BB would ye call off, with blinds and antes in pot. Got knocked out after i'd gone down to 19BBs wasnt in it mentally i feel after i'd gone back down to starting stack from being a big stack.

.... def not in it mentally. played a couple of more tournies and withdrew my lodge as i was prob goin to lose it i didnt.

So Bankroll Beginning 07/03/14 : €200
    Bankroll Weekend 09/03/14 : €175.13

Prob not goin to play again until i read up a bit on strategy for calling small stacks all in when a big stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Might be better off posting on www.irishpokerboards.com

Good luck

If it goes any way well I might. For now ill post away here.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

• Advertisement

markest wrote: »

Will do, I'm not an entire newb, but work fulltime and only play as a hobby. Have had some of my best results after reading strategy books though. Had a good win last night, was idle for the night and logged in, bit tired and realised I wasn't in the form for four hours plus. Logged out without playing. See it as a small win for discipline. Havent played in a week but think I'll play the micro millions main event if I can satellite in.

Entered into Micro Millions main event, not playing any other tourn today.
    $22 buy in

out, called off my stack with K3 blind on blind with a 3 on flop, BB had KK... i'm a terrible player is all i can take from that

ok back in for the big $8 game on pokerstars,

have a big stack, currently bout 100/2000, almost 100 bb.
    Strategy will be no callin all in for more than 10bb unless i'm prob winning.
    trying to rob a few blinds but.... doubled a guy for 8bb with a poor hand.
    80ish BB.

ok, tightening up for a while now my poor calling was exposed.

Blind levels way too short for my liking, 50bb and i actually increased my chips in last half hour

$8 tournie finished 200/300 for $25

Bank stands at €110

Starting balance €200. Finished for night.

$8 tournie again, out before first hour, shoved KQs with 12 BB
    Big $11 turbo - out just before bubble had AA and re raised a min raise, called and he flopped trips

• Advertisement

Goin to call a halt to this. Dont have the discipline. Plain and simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Deco99 wrote: »
    Goin to call a halt to this. Dont have the discipline. Plain and simples.

To play and be successful on PokerStars, you need a minimum of 100 buy ins and a lot of discipline and bankroll management. So if you want to play $11 MTT's, you need $1,000 in your account.

If you want to start with a small roll like €200, play on 888, a much softer site with decent guarantees and plenty of players.

I would definitely recommend working on your discipline though because that is half the battle. You admit that you "cracked" in your very first session playing 12 $7 HU games, that's unsustainable.

You said you work full time and poker is a hobby, I am in the exact same situation. I started taking it a bit more seriously last year and played on 888. I am in profit on 888 and last year I was in profit in live games too for the first time. I worked on my game, read up on some strategy, got a bit of "coaching" off one of the best and most respected players in Ireland and I learnt and improved a lot. Discipline is also where I struggled and I couldn't handle the swings so at Christmas I stopped playing. The only games I played were in my local club and a local pub game, they are small buy ins. If you can show a profit playing these you will be doing very well and it also helps loads with the discipline because the structures aren't great and players don't like to fold ;). The only online games I played were the $4.40 cheap seats for the Irish Open, I qualified for four finals through the $4 games and came very close twice but I learnt a lot playing them.

I started back playing recently and deposited on PokerStars because I felt I was ready for it and I am showing a profit so far by playing small stakes and sticking to the bankroll management. And because of this I am enjoying it a lot more, because I never realy threaten my bankroll by sticking to my limits.

Poker is a lot of fun once we stick to our limits and put a tiny bit of effort into improving.

Good luck.

Advertisement