Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu sol called "Wine Sale"

Options
  • 06-03-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

When is a sale not a sale..........when you increase the prices!

Bought Rare Malbec yesterday in Blackrock Supervalu for €6 a bottle today it is on sale for €8 as part of their so called wine sale. Supposedly reduced from 12.99!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

How did you buy it for €6 when it is priced at €8?

Is there two different prices for it in the same shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Standard practise im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

reprazant wrote: »
    How did you buy it for €6 when it is priced at €8?

Is there two different prices for it in the same shop?

He bought it Wednesday for €6. Then on Thursday it was priced at €8, on sale supposedly reduced from 12.99. However, it was €6 on Wednesday, so it wasn't reduced from 12.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

GavMan wrote: »
    He bought it Wednesday for €6. Then on Thursday it was priced at €8, on sale supposedly reduced from 12.99. However, it was €6 on Wednesday, so it wasn't reduced from 12.99

I'll bet on Wednesday it was also reduced from 12.99 (just further reduced than today), but OP just didn't notice this at the time. I've bought wine in Superquinn (Supervalu) many times and although the price of 'reduced' wine sometimes fluctuates, it's pretty much always marked as reduced from something higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Consumerspy

I find the layout and of prices in Supervalu very confusing. Half the stuff in the freezers is in the wrong place or priced wrong. The fruit and veg deals are mind boggling. Seems the rare time I am in there when I get to the tills the price is more than on shelf. It feels like they try to trick the customers into paying more. I don't shop there much unless its only place I can get too. My family do miss superquinn. It also seems they have kept Superquinn prices when supervalu is just a big centra. Who does a weekly shop in centra?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'll bet on Wednesday it was also reduced from 12.99 (just further reduced than today), but OP just didn't notice this at the time. I've bought wine in Superquinn (Supervalu) many times and although the price of 'reduced' wine sometimes fluctuates, it's pretty much always marked as reduced from something higher.

I'd bet it was never for sale at the full price. Supervalu often have one off specials that make ridiculous claims as to the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

Isn't there a law against that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

stevemul wrote: »
    Isn't there a law against that?

They were caught out last year but I don't know what the outcome is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

A €6 =bottle of wine - if it wasn't a "clearance" or "end of line" being sold at a loss - is muck due to the way tax is applied.

Duty on a bottle of wine is €3.18
    Vat on the duty is 73c
    So before any other cost is taken into account, 3.91 is duty and vat on duty.

Vat on the 2.09 balance is 47c leaving just €1.69 for the wine, the bottle and packaging of it, shipping costs from wine maker to warehouse and warehouse to store, and retail costs.

On a €10 bottle, €4.96 is for the wine, packaging, shipping etc.

On a €15 bottle, €8.02 is for wine, packaging, shipping etc

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

dmc17 wrote: »
    They were caught out last year but I don't know what the outcome is

Yep, a product has to be sold for price X for thirty days prior to be sold at half that price with the claim that it is actually be sold for half price.

They can do anything they want with the price at any time, but if they want to claim that it is a half-price bargain, etc, then I believe thirty days (possibly twenty-eight) is the rule.

Then again, it's been years since I did business studies, so that information could be out of date or completely wrong...

• Advertisement

a fat guy wrote: »
    Yep, a product has to be sold for price X for thirty days prior to be sold at half that price with the claim that it is actually be sold for half price.

They can do anything they want with the price at any time, but if they want to claim that it is a half-price bargain, etc, then I believe thirty days (possibly twenty-eight) is the rule.

Then again, it's been years since I did business studies, so that information could be out of date or completely wrong...

BUT afaik with a chain of shops like Supervalu they only need to sell it in ONE store for 30 days at the inflated price before they can claim its half price in all the rest.

Some of the "reductions" I have noticed have been on wine that should be drunk young and is well past its best so not really even worth the reduced price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

my3cents wrote: »
    BUT afaik with a chain of shops like Supervalu they only need to sell it in ONE store for 30 days at the inflated price before they can claim its half price in all the rest.

Some of the "reductions" I have noticed have been on wine that should be drunk young and is well past its best so not really even worth the reduced price.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of these 'half price' wines seem to be exclusive to them, so it's hard to compare prices elsewhere.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of these 'half price' wines seem to be exclusive to them, so it's hard to compare prices elsewhere.

They are often exclusive because no one else in Europe would be daft enough to offer its customers old wine thats past its best.

Advertisement