Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Biology in 5th year

Options
  • 06-03-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Due to spaces I could not do biology this year(4th year)
    So I am going to do in 5th year because someone is moving out from the school who did biology.
    I was wondering will I still be okay, as in I would had missed a whole year of biology,would it be really hard to catch up.
    Also can anyone advise me what I should be doing from this moment.
    As in should I be studying for my lc, subjects that I want to do home is economics should I start studying for that now, in the summer ?
    I had everything planned out and all, so I could enjoy my summer of 4th year and 4th year itself. but because I did not get biology and some other issues occured it all fell apart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

In a lot of schools people don't start any leaving cert courses until fifth year, I didn't even have subjects picked until the end of fourth year... You're only supposed to do like 10% of the course in 4th year I think, so if you miss things it shouldn't be that much. Get someone you know to go through the chapters with you, or ask the teacher for notes of what they've done.

Relax over the summer, you have more than two years to the LC and the chance of you retaining the information for two years is minuscule.

Good Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Due to spaces I could not do biology this year(4th year)
    So I am going to do in 5th year because someone is moving out from the school who did biology.
    I was wondering will I still be okay, as in I would had missed a whole year of biology,would it be really hard to catch up.
    Also can anyone advise me what I should be doing from this moment.
    As in should I be studying for my lc, subjects that I want to do home is economics should I start studying for that now, in the summer ?
    I had everything planned out and all, so I could enjoy my summer of 4th year and 4th year itself. but because I did not get biology and some other issues occured it all fell apart.

I don't understand your logic and your school shouldn't be starting courses in TY. By fourth year do you mean that you skipped TY and went into fifth year?

If your school did start in TY you will be fine as it is a 2-year course not three. You should not be doing any study for the Leaving in school now but if you really want to make a head start, there is nothing stopping you buying a textbook or two now and studying yourself. I wouldn't recommend it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I am currently in 4th year.
    I have already purchased and made all necessary arrangements needed for my lc for every subject.
    Like I had said, at the start of 4th year I wanted everything well and order but due to biology I had some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I think I see what's happened here.

I know some schools that call fifth year fourth year (discount TY as a year). He's not actually in transition year if that's the case. Rather he's what most of us would call fifth year currently.

If you'll be in LC next year it's doable to take up the subject but you'll have a lot of learning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

robman60 wrote: »
    I think I see what's happened here.

I know some schools that call fifth year fourth year (discount TY as a year). He's not actually in transition year if that's the case. Rather he's what most of us would call fifth year currently.

If you'll be in LC next year it's doable to take up the subject but you'll have a lot of learning to do.

Ill be in 5th year next year :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement