Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return- married couple non resident landlords

Options
  • 06-03-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

My family and i moved temporarily (few years) with my work to Australia and rented out our house. The mortgage is in both our names.

We are completing a tax return for our rental income, but our tax agent has stated that as the mortgage is in both our names,we both have to undertake individual tax returns and they will charge us for 2 returns. My wife does not work, and has no other income at all.

My question is do we have to do seperate returns? in the past we have always been assessed jointly as a married couple? I do not want to pay double to the tax agent if we dont have to, especially as they will get double the fee to change the name, pps no. and income boxes and all other details will be the same.

Thanks

Twominator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

1 return is all that's required.

I just completed 7 years for a client today - married, non-resident landlord. 1 return each yr.

Jump!
    Twominator wrote: »
    Hi all,

My family and i moved temporarily (few years) with my work to Australia and rented out our house. The mortgage is in both our names.

We are completing a tax return for our rental income, but our tax agent has stated that as the mortgage is in both our names,we both have to undertake individual tax returns and they will charge us for 2 returns. My wife does not work, and has no other income at all.

My question is do we have to do seperate returns? in the past we have always been assessed jointly as a married couple? I do not want to pay double to the tax agent if we dont have to, especially as they will get double the fee to change the name, pps no. and income boxes and all other details will be the same.

Thanks

Twominator

Advertisement