Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choices, Advice Please

Options
  • 05-03-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey!

I'm a TY and we just got our subject lines

They go:

Art Bio Chemistry Home Ec Religion

History Geography Music Economics

French German Business

Accounting Biology Physics Home Ec

We choose one subject from each line plus English, Irish and Maths. I plan to do all HL.

My JC (all HL):
    Eng: A
    Irish: A
    Maths: A
    Science: A
    French: A
    History: A
    Religion: A
    CSPE: A
    Geography: B
    Music: B

I'm very interested in writing and science. At the moment I want to be an author when I grow up but researcher too (maybe science as day job? Anyway). I'm currently interested in pathology/biochem/biotech.

I'm thinking of French and Biology, but not sure about the other two. Chemistry and History? Chemistry and Geography? Can't do all 3 sciences because of the timetable but...

I know the curricula of all three sciences well because I had to learn them last year for the Science Olympiad but the branches of Physics I like aren't taught on the course. Would not doing physics stop me doing many courses? I'm thinking of Trinity or DCU.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

I don't think you can go wrong with those JC results. And no, it wouldn't hinder your opportunities if you avoid Physics - BUT, I don't see why you shouldn't undertake all three if you're passionate about science (that's ridiculous that the timetable won't allow you to do all three). You can't avoid it in college. The three sciences are fundamental elements of most, if not all, science related courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

Thanks for your reply. I can't do all three unless I do one outside school because of the way the lines are laid out, Physics is on the same line as Biology. I like Physics itself, just not the Leaving Cert. kind. I like nanotech and astrophysics/space, which aren't really on the course.

What do you think of History?

I'd recommend doing Physics outside of school (perhaps a grinds school), if you want to be at some sort of an advantage in college. I'm sure you're efficient enough to undertake the challenge, it's not terribly complicated!

I can't say much about history.. I haven't studied the subject since the JC!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

Alright, I might do that. Like I said, I'm interested in Biochemistry & curing/diagnosing diseases, but it could be worthwhile. The teachers might let me do some of the experiments with them at free times.

What were your LC subjects?

My sister did her PhD in Biochemistry; if you plan on working in lab research to that extent, you might want to consider your abroad options too because it's a terribly difficult market to find employment in, since a large amount of businesses have left the country.

I took Physics, Business & DCG as my options (incl. Accounting & Geography in my repeat year) - as you can see, I'm not a desirable advocate for science in general. But I have a sibling in the field, who is quite the opposite in relation to science!

• Advertisement
Advertisement