Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King of the Ring

Options
  • 05-03-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

logo-kotr93-95.jpg

Well its a PPV I've missed over the years, as during the mid-90s it was on of my favourite PPVs. Looking back, some great superstars began their push by winning the once great competition, with Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Triple H, Bret Hart and Edge all winning and going on to great things.

I would love to see the KOTR return as a June PPV myself, with a winner getting a title shot at Summerslam.

Would you like to see the Tournie back in WWE?
    Would you like to see the PPV itself return and how would it work best if done today?
    Who would you have win it if it was to take place this year after WM?

Comments

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I would love to see the KOTR return as a June PPV myself, with a winner getting a title shot at Summerslam.

I always though myself thats what should have happened.

Yeah a big fan of the king of the ring myself. I would have rather seen them get rid of the Survivor Series and keep King of The Ring. Survivor Series is the older of the two though.

Id rather see it instead of the MITB way of getting a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah I would definitely bring it back. Bring it back as a proper PPV and not a tournament on RAW too.

I'd have Cesaro win it. The you can have Rollins or Ambrose win MITB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The thing about the King of The Ring as a traditional Pay Per View is that it never actually drew business it always underperformed relative to other big brand PPVs. Which is why the show was dropped.

Simply the general public wants to know what they are buying before they buy it. So a tournament format didn't have that much of an uptake.

Now with the WWE Network they could easily bring it back as the business model is more about creating value over a six month subscription period rather than getting someone to pay $50 to watch a three hour show.

Not sure where it could fit in the current WWE calender given the Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber and MITB being in the first seven months of the year vs the King of the Ring's tradition May/June spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yeah I would definitely bring it back. Bring it back as a proper PPV and not a tournament on RAW too.

I'd have Cesaro win it. The you can have Rollins or Ambrose win MITB.

If it was to ever make a Comeback Id move the July MITB PPV to October.

In a Beakerjoe world, Id have no Hell in the Cell / Gimmick match PPVs. I always feel that these matches seem forced an unneeded at the best of times. Like TLC last year, Cena and Orton battled in a heat less match in TLC conditions. I believe gimmick matches should be to end long / well built up feuds feuds and not just to have them because its that time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Bar maybe the first one with Bret's win none of the KotR PPVs were particularly exciting imo. It was fairly obvious who was tipped to win going into the tournament, the main events were at times woeful - HHH vs Undertaker KotR 2002 anyone? or Diesel/Bam Bam vs Sid/Tatanka in 1995?!. Some of the cards obviously had some highlights but if you take off the rose tinted glasses it was basically a 'b' show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

beakerjoe wrote: »
    If it was to ever make a Comeback Id move the July MITB PPV to October.

In a Beakerjoe world, Id have no Hell in the Cell / Gimmick match PPVs. I always feel that these matches seem forced an unneeded at the best of times. Like TLC last year, Cena and Orton battled in a heat less match in TLC conditions. I believe gimmick matches should be to end long / well built up feuds feuds and not just to have them because its that time of the year.

I would never, ever move MITB - one of their more successful shows. July seems to be a sweet spot narrative and business/disposable income wise. Especially for something that isn't really over at all in KoTR.

I would trim back on the theme PPV shows if I was WWE preferring to utilise the big stipulation matches for storyline purposes. As again you don't have to shake down customers for $50 every month anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Bar maybe the first one with Bret's win none of the KotR PPVs were particularly exciting imo. It was fairly obvious who was tipped to win going into the tournament, the main events were at times woeful - HHH vs Undertaker KotR 2002 anyone? or Diesel/Bam Bam vs Sid/Tatanka in 1995?!. Some of the cards obviously had some highlights but if you take off the rose tinted glasses it was basically a 'b' show.

Fair Point, but if done right it could be excellent. Over the years, the June PPV is Payback or Over The Limit and i think KOTR would be at least a slight improvement

Lets say its post Mania, Cesaro, Reigns, Ambrose, Rollins, Ziggler, Sandow, Sheamus and Big E, Cody, Swagger all going for it, any one of the lads in bold could be pushed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

King of the Ring, with a title shot as the prize would be great. Get the top guys into a tournament like that could see some great match ups. No need for a feud to exist for Bryan v Cena 2 or something random like Reigns v Cesaro.

Only issue with a one night tournament would be the match quality would suffer. Semi finals and final on the PPV with qualifiers on RAW might be best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love the KOTR concept, the idea the winner gets a title shot is even better but is it needed with the Rumble, EC & MITB matches?

There's plenty of big style matches/events to make new breakout stars.

It could work as a special event exclusive to the Network tho, that way the WWE wouldn't have to worry about PPV buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Kurt Angle vs Shane McMahon is one of my favorite matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

WWE like their themed raw editions.. so why not have a king of the ring tournament on RAW sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The King of the Ring getting a title shot is exactly how Brock Lesnar won his first ever Championship. It seemed par for the course but then they dropped it (barring scaled back versions on TV in the late 2000's).

I think having a Rumble winner, a MITB winner and a King of the Ring winner being given a title shot could all be a bit much though. Although to be fair, only one of them has the option of a spontaneous cash in while the others set up the two biggest shows of the year so maybe it could be done, especially with the up and comers

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

The King of the Rings is really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

KotR is great if you don't undercut the whole thing by having the winner spend the next month walking around with a cape and sceptre like a complete wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Was always a fan of the King Of The Ring, behind Mania and the Royal Rumble it was the event I most looked forward to. But I was always a fan of the tournament gimmick, ever since Wrestlemania 4.

As a ppv in the current cilmate it probably doesn't work, but on a 3 hour raw, why not have the semi finals and finals. The last three winners all took great advantage and came out of the competition looking much stronger. (Although William Regal's push was scuppered by a wellness violation).

I see the KOTR as a good way to give young talent a lift to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

KOTR works the best when it is one PPV! Makes it more interesting as people have to "over come more odds" after more difficult rounds! Builds a better story I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I would actually like to see less Pay-per-views (or whatever we're going to call them now with the Network). One per month with the amount of weekly TV programming they have to make is just far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It would have to be done on Raw rather than on PPV. Somewhere around September or October would be best. The first quarter of the year is obviously the Rumble and Wrestlemania, then early summer has Extreme Rules and MITB. But after that, we dont have a lot. Summerslam rarely lives up to expectations while Survivor Series is an after thought these days. Sticking a KOTR tournament that spans several weeks in between the two (give the winner the shot at Survivor Series) would liven up the end of the year without taking any shine off the Rumble.
    KOTR works the best when it is one PPV! Makes it more interesting as people have to "over come more odds" after more difficult rounds! Builds a better story I think!

As rovert said, it's a PPV that most people wouldnt buy due to not knowing the card in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Well with the impetus to sell PPVs not as high as it was things like KOTR may become feasible again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Insideandout

I'd love to see KOTR return as a PPV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement