Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Grandfathers Adoption

Options
  • 05-03-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm trying to find out who I could contact in regards to my Grandfather's adoption considering he was born in the 30's.

He once told my Mam he was adopted, what his original surname was and that his Mother was German but she brushed it off as another one of his stories as he had many he liked to tell..

Having recently received his Army records it turns out it wasn't a story as his name is listed as his original surname and there is a note attached stating he changed it to the surname we have now by Statutory Declaration.

As he passed away nearly 20 years ago we can't ask him for any information so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find the information ourselves, if it even exists.

Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You could try posting this in the Genealogy forum - we're a helpful bunch.:)

If you know when and where he was born, and his mothers name, you should be able to locate his birth cert. If he was born in Ireland then the GRO in Werburgh Street would have that record. You could also check Family Search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anneobrien1975

also you could try selbourne house in Dublin & maybe citizens advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sinny

I'll try Genealogy thanks! :)

I know his D.O.B but as he said his mother was German I'm not sure where he was born, I'm assuming Dublin for now though as he was brought up by my Great-Grandparents who were both from Dublin . Also no idea what his Mother's name was so this is going to be difficult.

Have tried Werburgh Street previously but that was before we knew he was adopted so I will try again and I will try Shelbourne House and Citizens Advice, thanks :)

If you know his date of birth [and assuming he was registered] then it 'should' be straightforward enough to get his birth cert. And given that the index book for that period provides the mothers maiden name and it being German, that should hopefully give you an extra clue when searching.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah I've just checked ancestry and there's a few possible ones, will try Werburgh Street today

• Advertisement

Ah good, you're familiar with Ancestry. It's a bit easier if you know your way around the various online sources - saves time and a few euros when you go to the GRO.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah I've found it a great help.

Just back from Werburgh Street with the correct birth cert, first one I tried as well, that never happens! Have been in touch with someone from the Adoption Authority also and he has said he can put me in touch with the agency that arranged the adoption.

Pats on the back all round :)

That's great news - well done sinny!:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement