Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stopping tonight,Alan Carr

Options
  • 05-03-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Have smoked 20 a day for 33yrs,am 45 now.all support would be gratefully received.Wish me luck!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Have smoked 20 a day for 33yrs,am 45 now.all support would be gratefully received.Wish me luck!!!!

Popped on by to see if anyone else had started out today. You are not alone.

Allen Carr for me (again) - last time lasted 1.5 years and restarted about 6 years ago.

Found his method excellent albeit far from perfect but suits me as NRT just not my thing.

Vaping and NRT both end up making me feel nauseous any time I have indulged. Just as happy to go CT again.

Best of luck poppyseeder. I finished last night.

Don't fear this, it's very doable. Every day is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 poppyseeder

Thank you for the encouragement and support:) Officially when I wake tomorrow I'll be a non smoker...it's my second attempt,tried with patches two years ago and lasted just four days so this time I've really worked on the Alan Carr method,and I think I'm ready.
    Will post here my progress.Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

Good luck!!! I'm 23 hours off them now after smoking for 22 years. I'm 34 and irs my first time trying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Thank you for the encouragement and support:) Officially when I wake tomorrow I'll be a non smoker...it's my second attempt,tried with patches two years ago and lasted just four days so this time I've really worked on the Alan Carr method,and I think I'm ready.
    Will post here my progress.Thanks again

Here's a bit of advice. I stopped about 4 years ago after 25 years x 20 per day.
    The way to do this is to just stop and never look back.
    There is a myth that it's really difficult. It's not. We make it difficult ourselves by making this BIG DEAL about it.
    I promise you this will work. Just stop - no blogging about it, no fan fair, no self pity, no substitutes, no eating more, no talking about it, no cravings, no 'just one', no counting the days - forget that crp. Be brave - just give up and cut the crap.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for input:) I have made myself feel sick,determined to finish the pack I bought at half 12 today..
    My Husband is stoping with me which is HUGE ,as its his really nasty cough that has made me really wake up.I have one smoke left and will smoke it in about 5 mins even though I changed from silk cut blue to benson and hedges yesterday,and the thought of that last cig is making me feel sick,I will smoke it because I really do know that it will be my last.
    Up until today I had absolutely no obvious side effects but this morning having gone for the stronger brand yesterday,I woke with a raw throat and pains in my chest.
    I can't fool myself anymore,smoking is a killer and I don't want to die.

• Advertisement

coats wrote: »
    Good luck!!! I'm 23 hours off them now after smoking for 22 years. I'm 34 and irs my first time trying :)

Good luck to you too and well done:)

Didn't smoke at all yesterday and even though I had a few pangs I just reminded myself that I don't smoke anymore:)

On day 3 now and still haven't caved, its hard though :)

Same for me though I think day 3 is a milestone. Nicotine flushed out and cravings at there strongest - It should start to taper down from here.

I just got some great news and was gonna celebrate with a drink - but gonna celebrate sober so as not to tease myself.

Stay strong folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

One anecdote I hung onto was the one about the man who survived the nuclear fallout and spent years roaming the earth all alone. Until he happened across a beautiful naked blonde lady who lay down in front of him and begged him to **** her.

To which he answered no:eek:, thinking to himself why would he start all that **** again.

I quit using Allen Carr on 12/2/03 having smoked heavily for over 20 years.
    Next time you get a craving, identify the trigger and laugh at how the old you would've reacted-light up. You're above all that now as there's no compulsion to compound any problems or itch you have.

Stay at it-it's the best thing you'll ever do for you!! GL!

• Advertisement

Caved in:( Hubby was finding it really hard,we are under a lot of pressure right now and we have decided to wait until the day after paddys day.
    What can I say? Feel so down now:(

Just remember one day at a time, one hour at a time, you can always start again xxx

Just remember one day at a time, one hour at a time, you can always start again xxx

Thank you:) I think I'm going to stop next week and not wait until after paddys day,I'm re-doing Alan Carr and determined to give up.

Thank you:) I think I'm going to stop next week and not wait until after paddys day,I'm re-doing Alan Carr and determined to give up.

Dont give up poppyseeder.

If I could offer a small bit of advice, I am, like you, on round two of Allen Carr.

I don't think it could possibly have the same impact second time out as the novelty factor is gone.

What I have done to somewhat counterbalance this, is download a quitting app for my smartphone that reminds me of all the benefits and has the timers etc.

Also, looked on youtube at others struggles and obviously stuck my head in here so I don't feel alone.

Don't feel down, this is doable but no-one says it's easy.

I am quite surprised at just how bloody hard it is and am more annoyed that I ever started again.

Relax, don't beat yourself up and don't give up till you've given up.

On day 12 now and all going good so don't give up on giving up :)

I'm stopping again tomorrow night,feel better prepared now so just going to go for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Any joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galwaygirl 110110

Wow, congratulations and well done!! I gave up New Years Eve and feel so much better! You will too!! It must be my 50th time giving up so don't give up you will get there.

In the end, hypnosis worked for me although I did give up with Alan Carr book a couple of times short term, it is so difficult.

Good Luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

Best of luck :-)

Just checkin' in.

Day 18 for me.

Still in the thick of the psychological battle at times, to my great dismay.

This aint easy but I refuse to give in.

I will reach that day where cigs are a distant memory again.

• Advertisement

Well I finally stopped on the 17th so to ought will be a week for me,cold turkey:) I was absolutely shattered for the first 4 days,just bone tired:( That seems to have eased off a bit now.
    This is the longest I have ever been off them and I really think this is it.It has been a hard week but nothing that I couldn't handle so now it's just about reenforcing the mindset that I'm a non smoker.
    To anyone who is thinking of stopping or who has just stopped I'd say just take it hour by hour,day by day and not to bother thinking too far into the future:) If I can do it anyone can.

Op here again:) Well I haven't smoked since paddys day!! I have to be honest it's hard:( I have felt really tired and down and it is very tempting to just say "to hell with it,ill just smoke"..
    Instead I've read a lot on the tiredness and depression and it seems they will pass given time and with some excircise.So that's the plan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

On day 24!! But to be honest I'm still having cravings. I often go for a walk on my break at work and think "I would LOVE a fag"... I thought by now the cravings would have lessened, but nope, they're still as strong as ever :( Still, longest ever without a cigarette, I believe in myself and everyone else in this thread :)

One thing I always remind myself is when I want a fag, I just think how I can be doing the EXACT SAME THING, be it a walk, having a drink, having a chat, etc without a cigarette. Literally, the exact same thing with absolutely no difference or affect as to what I'm doing. Well, the only difference is I'm not giving myself cancer and spending money! Having a cigarette when doing these mundane every day things doesn't enhance the experience, you only think it does!

It helps me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rionn

Can I join been off them since the 24th soo suprised/happy i'v made it this far cold turkey and soo hope I can see this threw.. Doing well u guys keep up the good work It WILL be SOO worth it in 1 years time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Went out 3 nights in a row the weekend just gone by... In the final hour before going home on the final night out, I ended up having half a fag :( Really annoyed with myself. I rolled a full one then realized how stupid this was half way through. Still though, half a cigarette in 28 days is a good record to me! Apparently it gets easier to quit everytime you do so... Hopefully Im getting closer and closer to that goal!

I had some serious difficulty resisting cravings though the other few nights, I never knew quitting would be this hard... Why didnt I just listen to my parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Went out 3 nights in a row the weekend just gone by... In the final hour before going home on the final night out, I ended up having half a fag :( Really annoyed with myself. I rolled a full one then realized how stupid this was half way through. Still though, half a cigarette in 28 days is a good record to me! Apparently it gets easier to quit everytime you do so... Hopefully Im getting closer and closer to that goal!

I had some serious difficulty resisting cravings though the other few nights, I never knew quitting would be this hard... Why didnt I just listen to my parents!

It's really hard on nights out... But instead of focusing on the half of a cigarette you smoked, focus on the cigarettes you didn't smoke :)

Advertisement