Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charolais information meeting

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

I see that there's a Charolais information meeting on tomorrow night in the Lakeside Manor hotel in Virginia, Cavan at 8pm. Speakers include Rose Goulding NCBC and John Lynch Dovea genetics and speakers from the Charolais society. Free draw for Charolais semen. Meeting open to public, everyone welcome to attend.

Sounds like an interesting evening, might try and go along myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

tanko wrote: »
    I see that there's a Charolais information meeting on tomorrow night in the Lakeside Manor hotel in Virginia, Cavan at 8pm. Speakers include Rose Goulding NCBC and John Lynch Dovea genetics and speakers from the Charolais society. Free draw for Charolais semen. Meeting open to public, everyone welcome to attend.

Sounds like an interesting evening, might try and go along myself.

Always worth goin to hear Rose speak. She's some cookie!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Every lad should 'go marry a nurse'...... apparently :D

She well able to breed and show cattle though. Some of the best charolais heifers l've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Muckit wrote: »

She well able to breed and show cattle though. Some of the best charolais heifers l've ever seen.

Doreen passed the nurse comment not Rose

Remember about 20 years I thought I had stock lined correctly in a stock judging, forgetting it wasn't the show ring , and Doreen took me to pieces

Different people look for different things, the Goulding family are all tops in the field

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Made it to the meeting last night, it was an interesting an informative evening. Never heard Rose Goulding speak before, she is a very knowledgable lady when it comes to cattle breeding and isn't afraid to speak her mind. John lynch from dovea was very good too.

Fiston (FSZ) is a bull that caught my attention from a commercial point of view. He looks as though he'll make a very good weanling producer and looks easy calving too. It will be interesting to see his calving difficulty figure next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Made it to the meeting last night, it was an interesting an informative evening. Never heard Rose Goulding speak before, she is a very knowledgable lady when it comes to cattle breeding and isn't afraid to speak her mind. John lynch from dovea was very good too.

Fiston (FSZ) is a bull that caught my attention from a commercial point of view. He looks as though he'll make a very good weanling producer and looks easy calving too. It will be interesting to see his calving difficulty figure next month.

Tis worth going to so?
    There's another one on next week in Limerick. Might take a spin up to it if tis worthwhile. Youd recommend it so I take it? Was afraid it might just be a Charolais back slapping session. ......

• Advertisement

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Tis worth going to so?
    There's another one on next week in Limerick. Might take a spin up to it if tis worthwhile. Youd recommend it so I take it? Was afraid it might just be a Charolais back slapping session. ......

Yeah, I found it very good. I suppose it all depends who is speaking at those sort of meetings. It was far from a back slapping session, plenty of good debate and differing opinions expressed.

Thanks for the update.

Any mention of Inverlochy Gurkha (GKA) ?

Thanks for the update.

Any mention of Inverlochy Gurkha (GKA) ?

Yeah he was talked about. I'm sorry I hadn't a pen with me to write stuff down but from what I remember he sounds like a serious bull. He's a new bull so you'd want to be careful what you put him on at the moment. I'm sure PG would have info on him.
    LZF sounds like a fine bull who should be easy enough calved.

Dovea seem to have a good collection of CH bulls like FYB, LSP, FGG, S1381 and YHM.

Yeah he was talked about. I'm sorry I hadn't a pen with me to write stuff down but from what I remember he sounds like a serious bull. He's a new bull so you'd want to be careful what you put him on at the moment. I'm sure PG would have info on him.
    LZF sounds like a fine bull who should be easy enough calved.

Dovea seem to have a good collection of CH bulls like FYB, LSP, FGG, S1381 and YHM.

Any mention of Rep

Any mention of Rep

Yeah there was, sorry I don't remember what was said about him. He's €38 a straw, I was more interested in the commercially available bulls.

• Advertisement

Yeah there was, sorry I don't remember what was said about him. He's €38 a straw, I was more interested in the commercially available bulls.

Ya fair enough. €38 a straw and hope she holds. Use LGL here a nice bit. Handy calved for a Charolais and some very nice stuff off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Muckit wrote: »

It was Doreen that passed that comment alright. I wasn't sure who Rose Goulding was so I googled her, some interesting photos came up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jt65 wrote: »
    Doreen passed the nurse comment not Rose

Your right!! Twas Doreen I was talking about, not Rose!
    Doreen knows her stuff on genetics too!

Anyone heading to the information meeting tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Anyone heading to the information meeting tonight?

Where is the meeting on & where do ye see them advertised? Looked up the Charolais web-site but couldn't see any info after early Feb:confused:

I got a text from PG about the last one in Cavan. If you give your mobile no to their breeding advisor in your area they will send you messages about upcoming events.
    This evenings meeting is on in the Devon Inn Hotel Templeglantine Co Limerick at 8pm.Speaker include John lynch Dovea, Stephen Laverty ABS, Rose Goulding NCBC and Nevan McKiernan ICCS.
    There is an ad on donedeal in the Limerick section of the beef cattle for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

if anyone is going keep an ear out for the bull ADA

hugo29 wrote: »
    if anyone is going keep an ear out for the bull ADA

Will do, im gonna take Tanko's advice and bring a notebook and pen.

Will do, im gonna take Tanko's advice and bring a notebook and pen.

I want a full brief. Please and thanks:)

Meeting last night was only ok. Not a hole pile more info then you'd get online or in the catalogues. They went through the charolais bulls from munster ai dovea and ABS. then some charolais society business, Which was entertaining. The youth development officer gave a interesting presentation on the breed and it's ability to finish under 16 months, and how some dairy boys are doing very well with there calf sales off easy calving ch stock bulls. No mention of ADA. Blelack Digger was the most interesting bull on the night IMO. They gave some very basic advice about matching bulls to cows, and dispelled the myth of a heifer out of a hard calved bull would be a an easy calver herself. as far as beef cattle go anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement