Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*noob question* Can I still get updates if Galaxy s3 is unlocked?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

I'm about to buy a Samsung S3 locked to meteor. I am going to unlock it when I recieve it.

Will I still recieve system updates if I unlock it?

What if I root it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

I'm about to buy a Samsung S3 locked to meteor. I am going to unlock it when I recieve it.

What if I root it?

Thanks

Yes to both unlock and root.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

What if I root it?

Thanks

Yes to both unlock and root.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Fecked2bits

Awesome.

Will the updates unroot it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

You will probably get updates as long as you do not install a custom rom.
    If you install a custom recovery while rooting that may also cause problems.
    My note II wouldn't update with a custom recovery even though I was running a stock rom.
    Alternatively, it's easier to get newer firmware via custom Roms via sites like XDA developers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Fecked2bits

I'd like to keep the stock rom as it's the only one that supports HDMI out (via MHL)

So I'll root the Galaxy and strip it to bare bones by removing the bloatware.

Unless you can recommend a good Stock based rom for the s3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

You could try XDA Developers. There should be a good listing of Roms there, including stock.
    forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development

Just read the threads, as they are full of useful comments.

Advertisement