Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my router dead?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've been having severe connection issues with my broadband the past three weeks. One minute I'm connected to a website with no issues and then when I try another site, I get a message "server is not available". This is totally random ie, it's not the site that is at issue, but the connection from my PC/laptop/iPad/phone. I then lost all broadband connectivity on Sunday. Despite my attempts to reboot the Netgear router, reset it to its original configuration and finally, cleaning out the DNS cache, nothing worked. So I dug out an old Zyxel modem that I put away six years ago and tried that and hey presto, back on line.

Is there any way to recover the router or is it dead? It's still showing the relevant connection lights but I can't get any internet connection through it but the old zyxel modem works perfectly.

Any ideas before I buy a new router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Talk about tempting fate!!

Back to the "Safari can't open the web page as the server cannot be found" message on some websites, some sites only partially load, ie missing icons/graphics etc, some sites load text only, while others open no problem.

This sounds like a DNS issue from the research I've done but I cleared out the DNS cache.

What's going on?????

Btw, my PC is running Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Have you spoken to your provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Have you spoken to your provider?

Tried them twice and was told they'd call me back. Still waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Does sound like a router issue. Depending on your 'contract' your provider may send you a new modem free of charge. I'd ask anyway.

Advertisement