Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump with Radiators

Options
  • 04-03-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All

I'm new to this but am hoping to start building soon and this seems like a great place to get advice. At the minute we are looking at heating systems. Due to new regualtions we can't have oil heating in the house so we are looking at air to water heat pumps. We are not keen on UFH as its so expensive so we're looking into using radiators. We've been told it has to be special aluminion radiators but we have no more info. We're also hoping to put in a solid fuel stove with a back boiler that will also heat the radiators. We'll have to put in a buffer tank if we're running both off the radiators. Has anyone any experience of this? We'd like to hear from people who have this before going with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You need underfloor. If you are building the house then underfloor is easy to do and cheap as it is 90% plastic pipe! Have you actually priced it up?
    You will be insulating and sealing to a high degree so go with the best heating solution for ASHP.
    If you mean it's expensive to run then that is only because it is installed in a draughty and badly insulated house.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

Low temperature aluminium radiators are more efficient than normal radiators, but they won't achieve the same efficiency as underfloor heating.
    If you definitely want radiators, you're better off with a timber pellet boiler than air-to-water.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Hi All

I'm new to this but am hoping to start building soon and this seems like a great place to get advice. At the minute we are looking at heating systems. Due to new regualtions we can't have oil heating in the house so we are looking at air to water heat pumps. We are not keen on UFH as its so expensive so we're looking into using radiators. We've been told it has to be special aluminion radiators but we have no more info. We're also hoping to put in a solid fuel stove with a back boiler that will also heat the radiators. We'll have to put in a buffer tank if we're running both off the radiators. Has anyone any experience of this? We'd like to hear from people who have this before going with it.

Have you talked to a plumber on how your going to combine solid fuel and an air-to-water heat pump?

How are you going to do your DHW?

The DHW cylinder would have to be designed for a heat pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi All

Sorry I'm a bit late on spoting this guys as I'm mainly on P&H forum.
    Why can't clueless/OP have an oil boiler ?
    Thanks
    Scudo
    P&H + oil ser. eng.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit late on spoting this guys as I'm mainly on P&H forum.
    Why can't clueless/OP have an oil boiler ?
    Thanks
    Scudo
    P&H + oil ser. eng.

You wont pass the EPC and CPC in the BER with the 2011 building regs using an oil boiler.

• Advertisement

froshtyv wrote: »
    You wont pass the EPC and CPC in the BER with the 2011 building regs using an oil boiler.

Not so much that you won't reach those EPC and CPC targets, but you'll certainly be struggling to get there. You'll need to compensate with Heat Recovery Ventilation, plus solar to meet minimum renewable energy requirements, maybe more. And at the end of it all, you'll still be spending twice as much on fuel as an equivalent timber pellet or Air-to-Water solution. Rising to three times as much in ten years time.

kieranhr wrote: »
    Not so much that you won't reach those EPC and CPC targets, but you'll certainly be struggling to get there. You'll need to compensate with Heat Recovery Ventilation, plus solar to meet minimum renewable energy requirements, maybe more. And at the end of it all, you'll still be spending twice as much on fuel as an equivalent timber pellet or Air-to-Water solution. Rising to three times as much in ten years time.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Thanks guys for replys.

ps. I hate when OP milk you for info and don't say thanks.
    my pet hate on P&H
    Cheers
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kieranhr wrote: »

You've just demonstrated that oil is still possible, you just have to plan it. And chances are you'd be using MHRV anyway.

And wood pellet and air to water capital and instalation costs will be higher than oil as well - not to mention servicing. In a well built house running costs will still be reasonable.

It's simply too simplistic to say you can't have oil.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

It's simply too simplistic to say you can't have oil.

My point exactly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement