Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with HL french written topics please!

Options
  • 04-03-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

so I have basically covered all sort of tenses & grammar rules (finally!) & all I need is vocab to formulate a sentence. Can any past A1/A2 students please tell me if this approach is better or learning off sample answers, the way my teacher tells us to. Honestly I don't think I can simply "learn off" as many sample answers as we need to. When absolutely anything can come up then how can one learn everything? Is it not better to being able to form any sentence using your rules and vocab no matter what they ask? & that way I will be able to learn more vocab on different topics. Now if you agree can you please tell me what should i do next? tongue.png I know everyone is busy at this time of the year but I'd really appreciate any sort of help! Thank-you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

3raser10 wrote: »
    so I have basically covered all sort of tenses & grammar rules (finally!) & all I need is vocab to formulate a sentence. Can any past A1/A2 students please tell me if this approach is better or learning off sample answers, the way my teacher tells us to. Honestly I don't think I can simply "learn off" as many sample answers as we need to. When absolutely anything can come up then how can one learn everything? Is it not better to being able to form any sentence using your rules and vocab no matter what they ask? & that way I will be able to learn more vocab on different topics. Now if you agree can you please tell me what should i do next? tongue.png I know everyone is busy at this time of the year but I'd really appreciate any sort of help! Thank-you

Yeah, I don't think you're going to be able to rote learn your way to an A that way, learning entire sample answers.

What you need are your set phrases, your idioms, and a solid knowledge of grammar.

I cannot emphasise grammar enough, seriously. I went and learned the 5 standard tenses back in October/November of 5th year, and regular use really pays off - I haven't had to study them since :) At this stage you'd want a solid grasp of the subjonctif présent also.

You've plenty of time to think up of ideas in the exam, just make sure you address every part of the question/set topic - and expand.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

If your teacher is telling you to learn off full answers she's insulting your intelligence. It's generally just done by teachers who don't trust their students to formulate sentences or use tenses correctly.

If you understand the tenses and have a good knowledge of the tenses, you'll only need to learn vocabulary. That way, you'll actually address the question more directly and thus achieve a better grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

robman60 wrote: »
    If you understand the tenses and have a good knowledge of the tenses, you'll only need to learn vocabulary. That way, you'll actually address the question more directly and thus achieve a better grade.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say only learn vocabulary - phrases and idioms are crucial to throw in - otherwise you may end up with a franglais style of sentence construction. Learning these sentences will help with grammar in general as well.

Things like, ça me rend triste d'y penser etc.

Advertisement