Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Hops rhizomes

Options
  • 04-03-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into growing my own hops, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Ireland where you can buy rhizomes/plants? :)

Alternatively there was anyone here with hops growing and was doing some pruning and wanted to shift one or two rhizomes I wouldn't mind taking them off your hands :D

I just don't fancy paying the guts of €25/30 on delivery from Britain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm looking into growing my own hops, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Ireland where you can buy rhizomes/plants? :)

Alternatively there was anyone here with hops growing and was doing some pruning and wanted to shift one or two rhizomes I wouldn't mind taking them off your hands :D

I just don't fancy paying the guts of €25/30 on delivery from Britain.

Use parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Use parcel motel.

Does parcel motel save on shipping ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I got some from this crowd http://www.aplus-hops.co.uk you can save a €5 using postal motel for postage, kinda starts at about €13.50 per hop..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Could try Seedaholic in Westport, they have Humulus lupulus 'Hops' seeds aka European hop, 200mg ~ 70 seeds €1.50........

http://www.seedaholic.com/humulus-lupulus-hops.html

If you do get them, let me know how you get on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

LK_Dave wrote: »
    they have Humulus lupulus 'Hops' seeds aka European hop, 200mg ~ 70 seeds €1.50
    The problem with seeds is they may turn out to be male, which are not only no good for brewing but are still illegal to grow too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

BeerNut wrote: »
    The problem with seeds is they may turn out to be male, which are not only no good for brewing but are still illegal to grow too.

Cheers, I didn't know that about the male plant but I see its been discussed here before. May have to ask one of my friends in the North to set a few seeds. At the prices people are paying for rhizomes and plants there could be a good micro business in this. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I got some from this crowd http://www.aplus-hops.co.uk you can save a €5 using postal motel for postage, kinda starts at about €13.50 per hop..

Thanks for that, looks good at only £7.50 postage to Ireland :)

Might get two Golden Tassels for £27.50 inc. postage :D

Golden Tassels are what I have growing. They're a variant of First Gold and they're pretty rubbish for brewing, if I'm honest.

If you're going to shell out actual money for a hop plant I'd recommend getting a better variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Golden Tassels are what I have growing. They're a variant of First Gold and they're pretty rubbish for brewing, if I'm honest..

I think they were really selected to be an ornamental plant

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you get the hops?

I've Hallertauer and Cascade started off inside and the Hallertauer has started to grow quickly, a couple of inches a day, it's twice the size of the cascade and they were planted at the same time, have them in big pots but will put them outside shortly once the frost is gone.

Anyone made a simple trellis, any suggestions for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

What do you mean "illegal"? Is that why I can't find the plant in Ireland. I never heard of it being illegal.

imokyrok wrote: »
    What do you mean "illegal"?
    This.
    imokyrok wrote: »
    Is that why I can't find the plant in Ireland.
    No. Hops plants for sale, and they do exist, will be female.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Not illegal unless wild. Cultivated are ok.
    Male wild hop plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

This.

No. Hops plants for sale, and they do exist, will be female.

The garden centres I've tried don't have them and can't order them in. One told me the plant had gone out of fashion.

Advertisement