Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graeme Smith

Options
  • 03-03-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭

Happy retirement to a true legend of the game

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wonder if there is any chance of getting him to tog out for Ireland in a few years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Never liked him tbh, but respected him and respect what he has achieved in the game. Hope he has a happy retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

I wonder if there is any chance of getting him to tog out for Ireland in a few years :D

He's bought a house here with his wife. I wonder whether it's in Cork with her clan, or if it's in (or closer to) the bustling metropolis that is Dublin!

Regardless of him playing for Ireland, if he alternates living here in our summer (:rolleyes: "summer") with his wife and going back to SA after that, some lucky cricket club is going to get their hands on him. He wouldn't even have to play much. The gravitas having a player of that calibre at your club would bring would be incredible! Not to mention a guaranteed double ton every time he walks out to the middle!

PS

Enjoy the retirment Biff. We hope to see you sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

crackit wrote: »
    He's bought a house here with his wife. I wonder whether it's in Cork with her clan, or if it's in (or closer to) the bustling metropolis that is Dublin!

Regardless of him playing for Ireland, if he alternates living here in our summer (:rolleyes: "summer") with his wife and going back to SA after that, some lucky cricket club is going to get their hands on him. He wouldn't even have to play much. The gravitas having a player of that calibre at your club would bring would be incredible! Not to mention a guaranteed double ton every time he walks out to the middle!

PS

Enjoy the retirment Biff. We hope to see you sooner rather than later

Got a massive Surrey contract so maybe once that is finished, it could happen but nothing before then sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Got a massive Surrey contract so maybe once that is finished, it could happen but nothing before then sadly.

He will be a great signing for them, not Ponting great, but very good. Terrific player and decent captain for SA, but like a lot of successful captains, not the easiest to warm to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Only decent? He must be one of the greatest captains of all time, his record, his record as captain, his longevity and the fact it's SA with all its politics. Spoke well today at the presentation, no tears or anything like that. It's crazy to think how much he packed into his career and someone like Chris Rogers basically just starting his and he is older than Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

IIRC he was picked for the world cup squad in 2002 when Jonty was injured in the world cup match and he never looked back from there.

Great player and very good captain too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Gillespy wrote: »
    Only decent? He must be one of the greatest captains of all time, his record, his record as captain, his longevity and the fact it's SA with all its politics. Spoke well today at the presentation, no tears or anything like that. It's crazy to think how much he packed into his career and someone like Chris Rogers basically just starting his and he is older than Smith.

You are right of course he was a very good Captain, didn't mean to slight his achievements using word "decent", it was more meant for how he conducted himself generally(other than stirring the pot with KP and being accused of racial slur towards ?Bravo (although think he was cleared on that wasn't he?))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I like when a captain is combative and looking to lead like that. It may make their words either side of the game seem disingenuous but it's a tough game and the players know that. Clarke is doing it for Australia now, scored a great 150 and laid into Steyn and others with verbals. Clarke is fortunate he can send out his opener to stir the pot for him between games.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

I don't think Clarke needs to send Warner to do his bidding! I think Warner takes the onus upon himself.

I agree, though, the big, bull headed, combative streak as captain is why I admire Smith so much.

With regard to him playing here, I realise he has a contract in England but I was thinking that by the time he wraps it up over there he'll still be young enough to come over here and make a huge impression. All speculation and ifs and buts, though, that said, I think it's never too early for those involved in Irish cricket in general to start extending their friendship to the big man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement