Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD,DCU,DIT or UCC Data Analytics course

Options
  • 03-03-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I know this question must have popped up a lota times,but as time passes I could have better insights to make a decision from experienced ppl.

So just wanted to know which of these courses has the best study and job prospects.
    Below are not according to my preferences,
    1) UCC - http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr49/
    2) DCU - course has some IBM interference, - www.dcu.ie/news/2013/jul/s0713s.shtml
    3) DIT - http://postgradireland.com/course/11214
    4) UCD Smurfit seems out of questions as I may not impress them with my not so good academics.

Now from the above 3 which I have come across(they may be more).,which is the one I should go ahead with ?
    I am already in the Business Intelligence field for the past 6 years and work on the Data warehousing part of it.
    Could you please guide me on which course should I go for ,if given a chance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I wouldn't just limit yourself to applying for one of them anyway, why not apply for the lot and see what comes of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vital_parsley

danthefan wrote: »
    I wouldn't just limit yourself to applying for one of them anyway, why not apply for the lot and see what comes of it?

Thanks for your reply.
    As you suggested I am applying to all the above colleges.But say given a choice if I get an offer from all the colleges which one has a good prospect.Isn't DCU's IBM tieup helpful ?

Thanks for your reply.
    As you suggested I am applying to all the above colleges.But say given a choice if I get an offer from all the colleges which one has a good prospect.Isn't DCU's IBM tieup helpful ?

Hi,
    Could someone throw some light on the above courses.Also please let me know the pros and cons of these colleges.
    what do you guys think about the UCC course ,I checked out the course and subjects,they look pretty promising.

Please suggest guys asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Hi,

I know this question must have popped up a lota times,but as time passes I could have better insights to make a decision from experienced ppl.

So just wanted to know which of these courses has the best study and job prospects.
    Below are not according to my preferences,
    1) UCC - http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr49/
    2) DCU - course has some IBM interference, - www.dcu.ie/news/2013/jul/s0713s.shtml
    3) DIT - http://postgradireland.com/course/11214
    4) UCD Smurfit seems out of questions as I may not impress them with my not so good academics.

Now from the above 3 which I have come across(they may be more).,which is the one I should go ahead with ?
    I am already in the Business Intelligence field for the past 6 years and work on the Data warehousing part of it.
    Could you please guide me on which course should I go for ,if given a chance.

Hi,

I am also looking at these courses.
    I applied for Smurfit last year and was denied even with a full appeal backed by my company - they are picky regarding the academic background.

I have applied for DIT this year, just awaiting the reply now.

Best of luck!

sebcity wrote: »
    Hi,

I am also looking at these courses.
    I applied for Smurfit last year and was denied even with a full appeal backed by my company - they are picky regarding the academic background.

I have applied for DIT this year, just awaiting the reply now.

Best of luck!

hi,
    Why did you decide to go wid DIT and not DCU ?

• Advertisement

I have now applied to DCU too :)

I can't find anything about their schedule though. I'd like to know if I'd have to go in at weekends or what!

I have now applied to DCU too :)

I can't find anything about their schedule though. I'd like to know if I'd have to go in at weekends or what!
    ok,Good Luck.You can check it on their own website.
    Are you already working?

I am yes.
    Going for the part time masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭jefferson73

Got offered an analytics (part time) place at DIT last night...decision time!

Did you accept this offer?

I have just been offered the part time course in DIT. It must have been a second round offer. Chuffed anyway and will be accepting.

• Advertisement

Did you accept this offer?

I have just been offered the part time course in DIT. It must have been a second round offer. Chuffed anyway and will be accepting.

I have gone for DIT fulltime.

Spent a long time deciding what would be best for me.

I went for DIT over UCD, DCU and ITB or a masters in statistics in Sheffield for two very specific reasons.

Good job vital_parsley

jefferson73, can I ask those reasons?

I have a friend in the data analytics consultancy industry, they take on masters graduates all the time and he said they would always try hire people with the DIT masters over any of the others as it focuses on real world examples and is most closely linked to how data analytics is used in industry. In other words, it's the most relevant course.

Good job vital_parsley

jefferson73, can I ask those reasons?

I have a friend in the data analytics consultancy industry, they take on masters graduates all the time and he said they would always try hire people with the DIT masters over any of the others as it focuses on real world examples and is most closely linked to how data analytics is used in industry. In other words, it's the most relevant course.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Budding Data Miner

Sorry to interrupt, does anyone have experience of the NCI or UCD online one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciaran7788

Hi,
    I've applied for the UCD online course but am intrigued to know the reasons for picking the DIT course over the others? I probably would've applied to the DIT course for this year but only started looking into courses in May and the PT option was full then. If the DIT course is the most highly regarded then I'd consider waiting until next year to apply for the PT option.
    Any advice is much appreciated!

Apologies for reviving this old thread,but just to update I couldnt make it to the 2014 academic year due to some reasons.
    I am now looking to start it this year for 2018-19 batch.

My question is : which one is better for Data Analytics course.
    1) Dublin Institute of Technology. 
    2) Cork Institute of Technology.

Would appreciate a reply from someone who has been through the course.

Advertisement