Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy snacks

Options
  • 03-03-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Any suggestions for healthy snacks - i.e. better than chocolate.

Just looking to replace some junk food with something that is semi okay for you and tastes alright.

Suggestions from my side (and feel free to say not so healthy):
    - Fruit
    - Harvest crunch bars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nuts - brazil, almond, hazelnut, walnut, etc are one of mine.
    I usually have them with some raisins or apricots or other dried fruits.

If you like hummus, try it with some carrots or peppers.

Nairns oatcakes and peanut butter is another favourite of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Rice cakes, almond butter topped with banana or smoked salmon (lightly grilled or put on the George foreman for a few seconds is nice!). :cool:

The GCN youtube channel have some healthy snack recipes like this

Also all those nuts mixed that P mentioned above and you could also mix in 70%+ coco choc for its antioxidant properties. I find Tesco/Aldi/Lidl do all of the above and if you buy a bag of each, get a big air tight box and mix 'em all up, it may seem expensive at the time but it lasts me about 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 montbretia

Agree with Pgibbo, oatcakes (Aldi ones great value) and homemade hummus a staple with me. Also handfuls of nuts and dried apricots (unsulphured).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Haribo supermix
    Princess Marshmallows...

OH sh`t is this not the confession thread....? :confused::pac:

On a more serious note, I've a sweet tooth too, but the snacking thing is all in the mind.
    It's a taste thing not a hunger thing.

I've often found that if I try to substitute with nuts/granola/etc that I end up snacking even more...

My solution is to have another drink of water, and a piece of fruit if needed.
    If you're tummy is not rumbling, you're not hungry.

The cravings are hard to master, and I'm nowhere near there yet but not being too hard on oneself just yet...

PS any of those cereal bars or harvest crunch/nature valley bars have an unreal amount of sugar in them and will only fuel your sugar high for more cravings..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Due to my inability to practice moderation, I have given up chocolate and sugary confections (except for special occasions) and in its place is a lot of fresh fruit, fresh veggies, and nuts (I love almonds). I find I crave the snap of certain things, like a ripe apple or crisp green/red/orange peppers....and I love a mixture of strawberries and pineapple (just chop, mix and eat - takes care of my sweet tooth). I also drink a fair bit of fresh orange juice and apple juice (read the label)....and when I need some salt with a crunch, I reach for pretzels. Seems to work for me. Oh, and I love Cheerios too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I've started making these - http://supervalu.ie/recipe/healthy-fruit-and-oat-bars/

Big batches of them. Dead easy. I put half the amount of sugar the recipe states in them and throw in some extra fruit and some bashed up mixed nuts.

They have replaced nutrigrains and nature valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

another +1 for oat cakes, for when tea is too wet. Add some ham and cheese.
    Home-made flapjacks for the sweet cravings

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

My everyday snacks:
    *Avacado / Avacado + Turkey on wholemeal Rice Cakes
    *Almonds (buy them in bulk in Lidl)
    *Toasted Sunflower + Pumpkin seeds
    *Coconut Oil on rye bread
    *Tablspoon of peanut/almond butter
    *Bulletproof coffee (Espresso w unsalted butter + coconut oil blended in)
    *Coconut balls made with dessicated coconut, ground almonds ,coconut oil, peanut butter, and some 80% dark chocolate
    *Lidls single source (JD Gross) 80% dark chocolate is really high quaility (+Cocoa beans ethically sourced from non child labour, non human trafficking farms) and generally takes away any junk food cravings.

Gernerally keep a big pop op Jar full of almonds, seeds and a few dried cranberries on the desk in work. Dont eat so much fruit, fructose content is very high on most commonly consumed fruits, would steer toward blueberries, strawberries, cherries all of which have aaround 30% the fruitose content per 100gms of apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

- Croissants
    - Fried chorizo with melted cheese on top
    - Nuts (pistachio, cashew, almonds, walnuts)
    - Double cream in coffee
    - Almond butter cookies
    - Avocado brownies
    - Brownies made with coconut oil/coconut palm sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

curse you healthy eating boardsies, i went out at lunch to get a nice treat for myself and ended up in the health food shop buying a mixture of nuts and vivani 85% organic dark chocolate:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

trinewbie wrote: »
    My everyday snacks:
    *Avacado / Avacado + Turkey on wholemeal Rice Cakes
    *Almonds (buy them in bulk in Lidl)
    *Toasted Sunflower + Pumpkin seeds
    *Coconut Oil on rye bread
    *Tablspoon of peanut/almond butter
    *Bulletproof coffee (Espresso w unsalted butter + coconut oil blended in)
    *Coconut balls made with dessicated coconut, ground almonds ,coconut oil, peanut butter, and some 80% dark chocolate
    *Lidls single source (JD Gross) 80% dark chocolate is really high quaility (+Cocoa beans ethically sourced from non child labour, non human trafficking farms) and generally takes away any junk food cravings.

I just got sick in my mouth a little

Was only talking about bullet proof coffee with butter and MCT oil at work. Becoming very popular. I believe Robb Wolf first came up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

pgibbo wrote: »
    Was only talking about bullet proof coffee with butter and MCT oil at work. Becoming very popular. I believe Robb Wolf first came up with it

Don't know if it does any good but it's surprisingly delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

tunney wrote: »

Sounds rank, tastes class. need sto be done with a decent espresso though.
    Surprisingly, once your accustomed, can fuel for many hours for endurance rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

trinewbie wrote: »
    Sounds rank, tastes class. need sto be done with a decent espresso though.
    Surprisingly, once your accustomed, can fuel for many hours for endurance rides.

if my wife saw me drinking that then endurance riding would be the only riding I would get to do

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

if my wife saw me drinking that then endurance riding would be the only riding I would get to do

I just got sick in my mouth a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I tried the bulletproof coffee twice, with good espresso, I nearly got sick both times. Just coffee from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Inspired by this thread, I picked up my first pack of Oatcakes yesterday.

First thoughts - the word "cake" should not be in the name!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread, I picked up my first pack of Oatcakes yesterday.

First thoughts - the word "cake" should not be in the name!

I bet you got those horroble dry things. I just checked there and the ones I eat are the Mixed Berries or Fruit and Spice Oat Biscuits as seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

it's cliche'ed I know but malteesers aren't a bad way to go for those of us with a sweet tooth. The mini packs you get in the supermarket are relatively light & low in calories, and go nicely with a cuppa, etc. Also nice with frozen yoghurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

daithi7 wrote: »
    it's cliche'ed I know but malteesers aren't a bad way to go for those of us with a sweet tooth. The mini packs you get in the supermarket are relatively light & low in calories, and go nicely with a cuppa, etc. Also nice with frozen yoghurt.
    Malteesers have 500kcal per 100gr. If that's for you healthy snack - good luck.

Anyway, try veggies and anything low in sugar and not processed. Great way of getting healthy snack is to bake your own oatcakes. Try to find rye flakes and stevia for taste and nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The mini-packs are only 83cals though, so let's not go overboard :)

Find the harvest bars good value, tasty, and handy out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

i find corn cakes way nicer than rice cakes..def a help when you want something to graze on.

i started eating berries with a small bit of granola and milk for dessert too.. stopped the cravings for something sweet after dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gbstein

It's actually really nice - but maybe an acquired taste. I have one these as a breakfast substitute when not training in the morning.

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    Malteesers have 500kcal per 100gr. If that's for you healthy snack - good luck.

Anyway, try veggies and anything low in sugar and not processed. Great way of getting healthy snack is to bake your own oatcakes. Try to find rye flakes and stevia for taste and nutrition.

Yawn, when was the last time you ate 100gr of malteesers then!? exactly.

They are very light in weight (i.e. low density) and hence don't pack huge calories (circa 120cal per full pack iirc). Also my post was predicated with the qualification 'for those who have a sweet tooth...'

So obviously your blood sugar levels are too low to engage in meaningful conversation. Try boosting them & posting again, perhaps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

i LIEK THE TRAIL FUEL MIX YOU CAN GET IN aLDI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Whoops should have checked caps lock!

Anyway the trail mix in Aldi is nice to nibble on. Nice bits of apricot & papaya in there to take care of the sweet tooth.

Yawn, when was the last time you ate 100gr of malteesers then!? exactly.

They are very light in weight (i.e. low density) and hence don't pack huge calories (circa 120cal per full pack iirc). Also my post was predicated with the qualification 'for those who have a sweet tooth...'

So obviously your blood sugar levels are too low to engage in meaningful conversation. Try boosting them & posting again, perhaps!!

And you got it wrong again. Heavy food (nuts, raw carrots, full grain past/rice) that's healthy stuff. Anything which weights 20gr and has 120kcal is basically pure sugar.

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    And you got it wrong again. Heavy food (nuts, raw carrots, full grain past/rice) that's healthy stuff. Anything which weights 20gr and has 120kcal is basically pure sugar.

So you say heavy food is healthy stuff.... hmmmm would you include cheese? Fois gras?? Butter??? They're all heavy, so according to you they must be healthy , right!?

Basically, you've jumped down my throat over suggesting malteesers for others with a sweet tooth, and now that you've been pulled up on your knee jerk over reaction, you are digging your veggie feet in the organic earth!! Get over yourself, have a stick of celery or something!! :-)

• Advertisement

So you say heavy food is healthy stuff.... hmmmm would you include cheese? Fois gras?? Butter??? They're all heavy, so according to you they must be healthy , right!?

Basically, you've jumped down my throat over suggesting malteesers for others with a sweet tooth, and now that you've been pulled up on your knee jerk over reaction, you are digging your veggie feet in the organic earth!! Get over yourself, have a stick of celery or something!! :-)

Firstly, see examples I mentioned above...did I say butter or you are just twisting my words?

Secondly, only in your world maltesers can be counted as healthy snacks.

Thirdly, I had carrots and celery today. Thanks for asking.

Advertisement