Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Irish paper 1 - Composing part B

Options
  • 03-03-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi! So, my teacher gave me one of those essays to do where you are given a word and you have to write a "scéal". Trouble is, he never explained how to go about it. All he said was "it's not a story, you just kind of have to write about the word. Very few people are able for it. Just try it" The word we have is "sonas". Do I just, like, write a general essay on happiness? Gah, I don't even know what style is expected. Mucho thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hi! So, my teacher gave me one of those essays to do where you are given a word and you have to write a "scéal". Trouble is, he never explained how to go about it. All he said was "it's not a story, you just kind of have to write about the word. Very few people are able for it. Just try it" The word we have is "sonas". Do I just, like, write a general essay on happiness? Gah, I don't even know what style is expected. Mucho thanks for any help! :)

If it's a scéal, you write a story. Set a scene, introduce some characters, show how they resolve some kind of tension/challenge from the beginning through the middle to the end. The characters could be experiencing happiness, or might be missing it. It might be a happy event, or memories of a happy time, or anticipation of happiness to come. Use your imagination. Avoid clichés.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I remember setting my little brother a writing task of going down the road for a walk and writing down all of his observations and thoughts on what he saw. What he came back with was brilliant.
    So you could take a philosophical approach.
    Or just ruminating on its existence, ponder aloud 'where' it is, body, heart, outside of ourselves, etc.
    Another starting point, give yourself an imaginary title for your piece to give it direction.

Advertisement