Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vokera Mynute 24 - Solid red light problems since we had work done

Options
  • 03-03-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, primarily because I dont' feel confident with the company that is looking after an issue I am experiencing.

Around 18 months ago we had some issues with a poor setup on our heating system which was causing us problems with how well our rads were heating up. We got a company in who proposed a few fixes to help us with our problem. This included a fix with a radiator which was previously connected directly to the boiler through an overflow (I think that's the right term), separate heating for water and rads (previously on the same switch), digital thermostat, new motorised valves and a few other bits and pieces.

We have experienced issues constantly since this installer completed the installation. It's always the same issue i.e. solid red light and the boiler won't fire, but the frequency or regularity is inconsistent. He claimed one issue was down to pressure in the boiler (even though we never experienced pressure issues in the past), one was down to a motorised valve, and now he's claiming it down to a dodgy circuit board.

One thing I don't understand is that after he fixed the digital thermostat and done the original work he had to put in a relay in order to get the boiler to fire. This was not in the original setup. I suspect our problem is electrical and I suspect this guys knows it but he's taking us for a ride.

So my two questions:
    1. Does anyone have any experience with solid red lights on Vokera boilers and if so what are the cause.
    2. Does anyone know why a relay would need to fitted in order to make the boiler fire?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

guinang wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, primarily because I dont' feel confident with the company that is looking after an issue I am experiencing.

Around 18 months ago we had some issues with a poor setup on our heating system which was causing us problems with how well our rads were heating up. We got a company in who proposed a few fixes to help us with our problem. This included a fix with a radiator which was previously connected directly to the boiler through an overflow (I think that's the right term), separate heating for water and rads (previously on the same switch), digital thermostat, new motorised valves and a few other bits and pieces.

We have experienced issues constantly since this installer completed the installation. It's always the same issue i.e. solid red light and the boiler won't fire, but the frequency or regularity is inconsistent. He claimed one issue was down to pressure in the boiler (even though we never experienced pressure issues in the past), one was down to a motorised valve, and now he's claiming it down to a dodgy circuit board.

One thing I don't understand is that after he fixed the digital thermostat and done the original work he had to put in a relay in order to get the boiler to fire. This was not in the original setup. I suspect our problem is electrical and I suspect this guys knows it but he's taking us for a ride.

So my two questions:
    1. Does anyone have any experience with solid red lights on Vokera boilers and if so what are the cause.
    2. Does anyone know why a relay would need to fitted in order to make the boiler fire?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Is it the 24m? Blue flap on the front ?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Egass13 wrote: »
    Is it the 24m? Blue flap on the front ?

Yeah that's the one. Have you got any experience with it?

Should also mention that the red light came on this evening. Turned it on and off, left it off, turned it off at the switch, turned it off a few more times.. Each time it fired it was like it was heating up then it just stopped with the red light. After about 30 mins of different attempts it finally came on and stayed on. Absolutely wrecking my head

guinang wrote: »
    Should also mention that the red light came on this evening. Turned it on and off, left it off, turned it off at the switch, turned it off a few more times.. Each time it fired it was like it was heating up then it just stopped with the red light. After about 30 mins of different attempts it finally came on and stayed on. Absolutely wrecking my head

I know them Alrite , it's not going to be an external control . Intermittent lock out like that can be caused by a few things but without seeing it and basing my opinion on past experiences id say your pcb is fooked. Obviously If it wer me I'd rule everything else out eg gas pressure settings ,flue system etc. is this lad you have working in the boiler an electrician or an rgi ? Or both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 plumbingbuddy

How old is your boiler. We're you operating the heating previously from the built in time clock in the boiler? The part of the rad been fitted to the overflow doesn't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Thermister fault...not within the calabrated resistance, or main pcboard.

Nothing to do with your installer, stuff breaks.

How old is your boiler. We're you operating the heating previously from the built in time clock in the boiler? The part of the rad been fitted to the overflow doesn't add up.

Boiler was there when I moved in 5 years ago but its only a couple of years older than that. The rad thing was a quick fix. Previous owners added a new rad to an open plan kitchen after taking the existing rad off an adjoining wall. It caused big probs. Once it was turned on it it would take all the heat which was the reason we called this guy. There was a clock previously but it was analogue.

Thanks for all the feedback. I understand that stuff breaks but this guy is untrustworthy after poor explanations of other faults. I just wanted to get other opinions cos I don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

time for a second opinion I would say

what area are u in a lot of good lads on here one may be in your area and be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 9 plumbingbuddy

OK the rad may have been on the flow and return from the boiler and not on a rad circuit.

The reason for the relay is volkera have a low volt switching system not 240 volt.
    When you switch on the time clock does the boiler start straight away or have a time delay of 20 to 30seconds

• Advertisement

Lads, I live in Dunboyne and would welcome if anyone wants to come out and have a look for a second opinion please pm me. We've asked the company to provide us with a quote for the work they want to carry out now to resolve the problem so if anyone is in anyway competitive I'd probably go with that (assuming they inspire me with more confidence rather than what I expect is bs).

And yes it takes around 5 - 10 secs before the boiler fires and the timer is switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Request Service / Repair 05677 55057 Monday – Thursday 8.30am - 5pm or Friday: 8.30am – 4pm http://www.vokera.ie/home-owners/boiler-maintenance/request-service-repair/

Now a bit long winded, but as I understand it you can get a service from Vokera themselves for a fixed price. I am not sure, but I think it is€150.00 but that would include any parts needed, which may be more than the service price. Maybe given them a call and see, at least you will have some come back if the problem is not sorted.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Request Service / Repair 05677 55057 Monday – Thursday 8.30am - 5pm or Friday: 8.30am – 4pm http://www.vokera.ie/home-owners/boiler-maintenance/request-service-repair/

Now a bit long winded, but as I understand it you can get a service from Vokera themselves for a fixed price. I am not sure, but I think it is€150.00 but that would include any parts needed, which may be more than the service price. Maybe given them a call and see, at least you will have some come back if the problem is not sorted.

It's €236inc VAT . Which is a good service if it's a pcb or other pricey component that you need, however if it's only a thermistor then you've just paid over 200 quid for a 15euro part. I got my mate to ring them when I confirmed his pcb was faulty , just to save him a few euro , but otherwise it can be a bit of a gamble.

Wally Runs wrote: »

It's €236inc VAT . Which is a good service if it's a pcb or other pricey component that you need, however if it's only a thermistor then you've just paid over 200 quid for a 15euro part. I got my mate to ring them when I confirmed his pcb was faulty , just to save him a few euro , but otherwise it can be a bit of a gamble.

Advertisement